Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I just swapped both the rear calipers on my soul (2014, base, manual, 1.6), had a sticky piston on one side, and a slowly failing one on the other as well. I re-tensioned up the e brake cable (using this as a guide), and it does grab the rotor a bit, but not enough to hold my car in place on any kinda of incline. It did work great before this swap, and I use it a lot (it being a manual). The cable itself is in great shape, so I don't think the issue lies there.

Things I have tried:
  • Bled the hell out of both rears, fluid is crystal clear and no bubbles.
  • backed out the parking brake cable adjustment bolt and re-did that.
  • reversed and hit the brakes a few times
  • Engaged and disengaged the parking brake like 30 times

On the calipers themselves it looks like the lever that actuates the brakes is not only being pulled, but pulled as far as it will go (as far as I cant tell). Here is a photo of the new caliper with the brake in the on position. The calipers are the same brand and are the correct fit for this car. When driving around the brakes seem to work fine, pedal feels good as does stopping.

I am at a loss...any insight would be extremely helpful! Would love to skip the cost of going to a shop for this, so let me know what y'all got for ideas.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There's an adjustment inside the center console, although I've never had reason to touch it.

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all.

I just swapped both the rear calipers on my soul (2014, base, manual, 1.6), had a sticky piston on one side, and a slowly failing one on the other as well. I re-tensioned up the e brake cable (using this as a guide), and it does grab the rotor a bit, but not enough to hold my car in place on any kinda of incline. It did work great before this swap, and I use it a lot (it being a manual). The cable itself is in great shape, so I don't think the issue lies there.

Things I have tried:
  • Bled the hell out of both rears, fluid is crystal clear and no bubbles.
  • backed out the parking brake cable adjustment bolt and re-did that.
  • reversed and hit the brakes a few times
  • Engaged and disengaged the parking brake like 30 times
On the calipers themselves it looks like the lever that actuates the brakes is not only being pulled, but pulled as far as it will go (as far as I cant tell). Here is a photo of the new caliper with the brake in the on position. The calipers are the same brand and are the correct fit for this car. When driving around the brakes seem to work fine, pedal feels good as does stopping.

I am at a loss...any insight would be extremely helpful! Would love to skip the cost of going to a shop for this, so let me know what y'all got for ideas.

thanks!
Its more of a hill brake rather than a emergency brake. When I've done my 14 I cycled the rear pistons a few times cause the drivers side was sticking. You might try to cycle them in and out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Parking brakes are usually separate from your calipers they are drum brakes.

If you take the rear rotors off you will see the shoes and springs that make up the parking break.

There is a hole with a rubber plug on the rotor face and you pull out the plug and turn it until you see the adjustment. You use a flat screwdriver dial it up or down to tighten or loosen the brake shoes.
If your parking brakes loose it most likely that need a notch or two adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts