Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a Kia Soul 2015 1.6 litre engine mileage is 86000 earlier a technician damage my ECU I had it fixed and I keep getting a P0626 code I've changed the alternator and the car still doesn't run properly it has eventually stopped charging the battery. Please I need advice help

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Unless you have an oscilloscope this will be a hard code to diagnose without guessing. There are 3 pins on your alternator connector (the 4th is the big wire back to the battery but that is not the connector I am talking about). The center pin is just used for the charging light on your instrument cluster. Pins 1 and 3 are your concern. The PCM sends a waveform duty cycle signal to the alternator to tell it what percentage of load it wants and the alternator sends a waveform back. If you cannot compare the 2 waveforms you will just be guessing if you have a bad alternator, bad PCM or a bad wire. I suggest you stop at any mechanic shop as it only takes a few minutes with an oscilloscope to back probe and see the waveforms but you are likely to pay whatever their minimum check out charge is whether it is a half hour or an hour.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you have an oscilloscope this will be a hard code to diagnose without guessing. There are 3 pins on your alternator connector (the 4th is the big wire back to the battery but that is not the connector I am talking about). The center pin is just used for the charging light on your instrument cluster. Pins 1 and 3 are your concern. The PCM sends a waveform duty cycle signal to the alternator to tell it what percentage of load it wants and the alternator sends a waveform back. If you cannot compare the 2 waveforms you will just be guessing if you have a bad alternator, bad PCM or a bad wire. I suggest you stop at any mechanic shop as it only takes a few minutes with an oscilloscope to back probe and see the waveforms but you are likely to pay whatever their minimum check out charge is whether it is a half hour or an hour.
Thanks for this, I really don't think I can get an oscilloscope in my geographic location so I'll lean towards getting a new pcm

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Thanks for this, I really don't think I can get an oscilloscope in my geographic location so I'll lean towards getting a new pcm
Where are you that you can't get one? Are there any mechanic shops in your area? Any shop today has an oscilloscope, every decent scanner has one built into it, even my not top of the line Snap On has a 2 channel scope built into it and I own 3 other scopes (2 that are 2 channel and one 4 channel that I hardly ever need)
If you have laptop you can get one of these and they work pretty well and certainly well enough for the task at hand.
Hantek 6022BE USB Digital Storage Virtual Oscilloscope with 20Mhz Bandwidth, 2 Channels Handheld Portable Osciloscopio: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Explain how your ecu was damaged. Did you replace it?
A poorly skilled technician went probing my fuse box and short circuited my ECU the engine refused to come on, no crank! afterwards I was told I need to change an IC in the ECU it was done and the car finally came on a few days later the car started stalling in the process I changed all my plugs coils and even the fuel pump, it was still lagging with poor throttle response I had to get another technician to access ECU he opened it an we discussed the sealant use to seal the ECU after the initial repairs had spread unto the board touching the ICS and other components and that's how I made up my mind to get a fresh ECU

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are you that you can't get one? Are there any mechanic shops in your area? Any shop today has an oscilloscope, every decent scanner has one built into it, even my not top of the line Snap On has a 2 channel scope built into it and I own 3 other scopes (2 that are 2 channel and one 4 channel that I hardly ever need)
If you have laptop you can get one of these and they work pretty well and certainly well enough for the task at hand.
Hantek 6022BE USB Digital Storage Virtual Oscilloscope with 20Mhz Bandwidth, 2 Channels Handheld Portable Osciloscopio: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
I'm in Nigeria and quite frankly there aren't any affordable skilled KIA technicians I've had to deal alot of bums till found someone largely reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts