Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am again, sitting in the Kia shop with a check engine light on sporting a P0455 - EVAP Leak - Large Leak Detected Code. I have a 2010 2.0 Automatic with 172,000+ miles. I have already had a new gas cap put on and a solenoid valve replaced and the code keeps coming back. I've been told it could be a hose, charcoal canister, sensor, a whole variety of things and the shop has offered to give me a discount on smoking out my EVAP system. Sitting here posting from my iPhone, about to post a solution as soon as a diagnosis has been reached here in the next half hour. Stay tuned if you're an older Soul owner.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,544 Posts
Did you have any symptoms beyond the P0455 code?

Thanks for keeping us posted & good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No symptoms beyond the code, occasionally smell gas but nothing different than the gas you smell when you fire up my mom's 2013 V8 Odyssey once in a while. We have to be close to a diagnosis because I've been here shopping Amazon on my phone for quite a while now. They better hurry too cause I'm due for dollar sushi here soon! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the verdict is in... GAS CAP! After I've already had it replaced, they said the after market one was broken! Easy fix and cheap too but boy am I surprised...

·
Registered
78 Posts
One thing to remember is never put anymore gas in tank after pump kick's off.
The filler neck has a check valve with a hose that runs to charcoal canister and if you put to much gas in raw gas can get into the charcoal and it costs out the ass to replace.
It keeps gas fumes from getting into the air and feeds fumes into the motor,mainly during cold startups.
This has nothing to do with your gas cap.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I know for most Soul experts this is redundant, but there may be some brand new owner reading this forum that this little bit of info might help. Maybe.

I've mentioned several times already, that I give my Soul a complete bumper to bumper maintenance inspection every 3k miles and the last thing on the list is to clean and lubricate the Gas Cap seal. When my 2009 Suzuki SX4 was still new I had one of them weird CEL codes on it, and a call to the dealer, let me know it was the old "loose gas cap" trick. That day, after re-seating and tightening the gas cap, that was added to my own Maintenance list. It's six years later, and people are still having problems with that darn thing. Only now, instead of getting three or four clicks, to tighten the cap, you only get one. So you only have ONE chance to get it tight enough.

Granted, it's a very little thing, and so easy to miss or just ignore, but it's caused thousands of service calls on countless vehicles since it was first implemented some years back. And, if the seal is dirty or distorted, the cap can be tight and the seal will still leak. That's why I lubricate the rubber seal with Silicone Grease (DC-4) so it doesn't distort when I tighten the cap.

So since that one time back in 2009, I've not had a repeat of any problem with my gas cap.
It's just the old "ounce of prevention".

Cheers Mates and Happy Motoring,
:cool:

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts

Soul208 - you should fill out your DRIVES details under settings/edit profile, so that it shows up with each posting on the left side.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
So the verdict is in... GAS CAP! After I've already had it replaced, they said the after market one was broken! Easy fix and cheap too but boy am I surprised...
I can honestly say that happened to me with a few years ago. (Different vehicle) Drove me crazy till a mechanic mentioned he himself had it happen, we looked closely and sure enough there was a hairline crack in the new gas cap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts