Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am new to the community and glad to be here. I have a 2011 Soul + with the 2.0L engine and it recently threw a P0441 CEL. The code states that there's a problem with the emissions system of the car. Whenever I fuel the car it's very hard to start and once I do get it started it idles rough and I have to keep my foot on the gas for about 30 seconds then it smooths out and runs normal. A guy at Auto zone says it's most likely a Evap purge control valve. I have located the valve (which is right behind the intake manifold with an electrical connector and opposing connecting vacuum lines). When I start the car I hear the normal ticking of the fuel injectors, then after a few minutes the ticking gets noticeably louder but sounds completely different than the injectors. When I touch the valve I can feel the ticking. My question is this. Is this purge valve supposed to continuously tick loudly or only tick once when it opens to purge the system and then tick again when it closes?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the community and glad to be here. I have a 2011 Soul Exclaim with the 2.0L engine and it recently threw a P0441 CEL. The code states that there's a problem with the emissions system of the car. Whenever I fuel the car it's very hard to start and once I do get it started it idles rough and I have to keep my foot on the gas for about 30 seconds then it smooths out and runs normal. A guy at Auto zone says it's most likely a Evap purge control valve. I have located the valve (which is right behind the intake manifold with an electrical connector and opposing connecting vacuum lines). When I start the car I hear the normal ticking of the fuel injectors, then after a few minutes the ticking gets noticeably louder but sounds completely different than the injectors. When I touch the valve I can feel the ticking. My question is this. Is this purge valve supposed to continuously tick loudly or only tick once when it opens to purge the system and then tick again when it closes?
just checked , mine clicks twice

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It appears mine is faulty since it clicks constantly as if it were a fuel injector.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
Hey Brancarr, welcome aboard!

I checked the KiaTech site. This is the description they give for your code (if this is of any help??)

> SOUL(AM) > 2011 > Engine > P0441 Evaporative Emission System
Incorrect Purge Flow

General Description
The evaporative emission control system prevents hydrocarbon (HC) vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the
atmosphere where they could form photochemical smog. Gasoline vapors are collected in the charcoal canister. The PCM
controls the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) to purge any collected vapors from the canister back to the engine for
combustlon. This valve is actuated by the purge control signal from the PCM and controls fuel vapor from the canister to the
intake manifold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Brancarr, welcome aboard!

I checked the KiaTech site. This is the description they give for your code (if this is of any help??)

> SOUL(AM) > 2011 > Engine > P0441 Evaporative Emission System
Incorrect Purge Flow

General Description
The evaporative emission control system prevents hydrocarbon (HC) vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the
atmosphere where they could form photochemical smog. Gasoline vapors are collected in the charcoal canister. The PCM
controls the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) to purge any collected vapors from the canister back to the engine for
combustlon. This valve is actuated by the purge control signal from the PCM and controls fuel vapor from the canister to the
intake manifold.
Thank you for the clarification. I just hate to spend the $49.00 on a new valve, install it, and it still do the same thing. I don't know if the vent lines are obstructed or if the charcoal canister is damaged or contains liquid fuel inside it. I can live with the CEL, but having to deal with the difficulty in starting after re-fueling is getting old.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
I'm sure you've already checked this. The course of least resistance, double check that the gas cap has in fact been put on with just one click. That has been the cause of many CEL incidents.

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure you've already checked this. The course of least resistance, double check that the gas cap has in fact been put on with just one click. That has been the cause of many CEL incidents.
I have checked the gas cap. It's the new "1 click type". Last time I got gas I clicked it until it clicked. Tried to start it and it gave problems =(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome!

You're not topping off your gas past the point of automatic shut-off, are you?
Today I had only 1/4 of a tank. I stopped and put $10.00 in which brought it up to about 3/4 of a tank. Tightened the gas cap until it clicked once. Got in the car and hard to start again. Once it finally started, I had to keep my foot on the gas for about 20 seconds before it would idle normally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm considering just changing the purge flow valve just to see if it fixes it. Even if it doesn't fix it at least that part will be new. Unfortunately, this is only one of the irritating problems I have with the car. I love the car don't get me wrong. It's just a bummer to say the least.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,170 Posts
has the fuel filter been replace? Your problem seems to indicate that could be one of the problem it causes. (see page 7/13 in your owners manual)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure. I just bought the car two weeks ago. I would say probably not. I'll take it to the dealer and have them do it.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
If it's still under warranty, why sweat it.
Let the dealer diagnose/fix it.
I believe some emissions components carry a warranty even beyond the B-B 5/60k?
While it's in shop, let them address/resolve the other issues you say you are having.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was informed by the dealer that the warranty doesn't carry over to the second owner. Not really what I was wanting to hear.

Update: I replaced the purge control valve this morning. I drove it 110 miles today and the light stayed on. I called the dealer service department and they said that you have to manually reset the CEL because on a KIA, it will not go out after the repair has been made - hopefully that solved the issue :tears_of_joy: Only time will tell.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I was informed by the dealer that the warranty doesn't carry over to the second owner. Not really what I was wanting to hear.

Update: I replaced the purge control valve this morning. I drove it 110 miles today and the light stayed on. I called the dealer service department and they said that you have to manually reset the CEL because on a KIA, it will not go out after the repair has been made - hopefully that solved the issue :tears_of_joy: Only time will tell.

The 5yr/60k warranty carries over to subsequent owners but the 100k powertrain does not.
So...If you car is less than 5 years old with under 60k on it, then Yes...your car would Still be covered under the (bumper-bumper) warranty

1 - 20 of 38 Posts