Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 Kia Soul manual transmission. We have replaced the two oxygen sensors and the catalytic converter. The mechanics say they are working yet we continually get codes for catalytic converter and occasionally a misfire (we also just replaced all the spark plugs for the 2nd time in about a year and a half). All they could say was that the oxygen sensor was "stuck in rich" meaning it was telling the car to mix the oxygen & fuel at a "rich" level. My husband randomly ran into another Kia Soul owner who was having the same problem. His mechanic also said that everything was "working" yet the engine light keeps coming on. I'm wondering if it is at all related to the 2 past recalls for the catalytic converter overheating. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hope you have some more information to go on. First of all which engine do you have, we know its a 2012 manual as you stated and is it a 1.6 or 2.0? Either way you have an air fuel ratio sensor up top and an oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter. The reason it is important to understand that you have an air fuel ratio sensor up top is that it's readings are totally different than an o2 sensor. The voltage should be "stuck" right around 1.5v on it. You should also know that the o2 sensor after the cat should also be "stuck" at around 0.7v if your catalytic converter is working properly. It is easy to test those sensors, you can just create a vacuum leak by popping off a vacuum line and see if the sensors respond accordingly when watching sensor data. The sensors should steady out rather quickly but you will see your fuel trim numbers jump.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It burns a little bit of oil. my husband checks it regularly and adds oil every 1-2 months I think. I'd have to check with him to get a more exact assessment.
That is not a little oil, that is a lot.

Have you replaced the catalytic converter?

·
Registered
966 Posts
If the car was driven with the mixture rich, it spewed unburned fuel in the exhaust, and that fuel ignited and burned inside the brand new cat, damaging it. It was/is glowing red probably. Hence the smell of rotten eggs. Wasted $$$.

The MAP/MAS sensors direct how much fuel to add per the measured air, so that's something to check. Vacuum leaks can trick those measurements into rich conditions.
Leaky injectors can dump more fuel than directed leading to rich mixture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope you have some more information to go on. First of all which engine do you have, we know its a 2012 manual as you stated and is it a 1.6 or 2.0? Either way you have an air fuel ratio sensor up top and an oxygen sensor after the catalytic converter. The reason it is important to understand that you have an air fuel ratio sensor up top is that it's readings are totally different than an o2 sensor. The voltage should be "stuck" right around 1.5v on it. You should also know that the o2 sensor after the cat should also be "stuck" at around 0.7v if your catalytic converter is working properly. It is easy to test those sensors, you can just create a vacuum leak by popping off a vacuum line and see if the sensors respond accordingly when watching sensor data. The sensors should steady out rather quickly but you will see your fuel trim numbers jump.
Hello. Its an old thread, but hoping for a reply. I am having problems with a 2012 Soul Gen 1, 1.6 liter automatic. Its running rich and idling horribly, despite my changing the upstream A/F Ratio (O2 sensor) twice. Shows -3.1 LTFT and the only reading my scanner gets from upstream sensor is -0.5 volts. You are saying it should be 1.5 volts at operating temperature? Do you think leaky fuel injectors could be causing the rich situation? Car has 136k miles, but doesn't burn any oil. Has plenty of compression and runs strong when you step on it and clear out the excess gas.

·
Registered
2012 Soul, 1.6, 6 speed manual
25 Posts
I have a '12 1.6 w/6 speed manual. The engine light has been coming on intermittently. I'm about to go back to Autozone and get the code checked, but the first time it was for the upstream O2 sensor, and I was about to change it when the light went off. It came back on, went out again, then has returned. I'm gonna check the code again, and probably go ahead and change the sensor. Yes, it burns oil (150,000 GDI. I do get GDI service done at the dealer, as well as the induction cleaning, and I've gone to 5W-30 instead of -20). No bad smell that I've noticed. The mileage may be a bit lower (2-3 mpg less) when it's malfunctioning, but it hasn't happened for long enough to be sure. Any advice?

·
Registered
2012 Soul, 1.6, 6 speed manual
25 Posts
I have a '12 1.6 w/6 speed manual. The engine light has been coming on intermittently. I'm about to go back to Autozone and get the code checked, but the first time it was for the upstream O2 sensor, and I was about to change it when the light went off. It came back on, went out again, then has returned. I'm gonna check the code again, and probably go ahead and change the sensor. Yes, it burns oil (150,000 GDI. I do get GDI service done at the dealer, as well as the induction cleaning, and I've gone to 5W-30 instead of -20). No bad smell that I've noticed. The mileage may be a bit lower (2-3 mpg less) when it's malfunctioning, but it hasn't happened for long enough to be sure. Any advice?
Further info: Code is P0130. Report indicates Bank 1, Sensor 1, i. e., the upstream. I was about to pull my upstream sensor, but I checked the plug on the one I bought, and they don't match. It looks like my car has a downstream (sensor 2) installed where the 1 goes! Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Further info: Code is P0130. Report indicates Bank 1, Sensor 1, i. e., the upstream. I was about to pull my upstream sensor, but I checked the plug on the one I bought, and they don't match. It looks like my car has a downstream (sensor 2) installed where the 1 goes! Any thoughts?
Bank1, Sensor 1 is actually an Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor. Its different from the one that is installed after the catalytic converter (downstream, Sensor 2) Sensor 1 is installed on the exhaust manifold, near the firewall, accessible from under the hood.
If you replace it, make sure you get an OEM sensor, since the cheap aftermarket ones don't work often. Let me know if replacing this fixes your problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts