Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how everyone uses the overdrive option on their Souls? Overdrive is always on unless you turn it off by the button on the gear shift. Is it best to drive with it off in the city and on while highway driving??

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
My Overdrive is ALWAYS off. I rely on my ECO light and if Overdrive is engaged, the ECO light doesn't work......

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
To quote Greg from a previous post:

" The overdrive button will keep the transmission from shifting into 4th gear. It is for city driving - mainly to keep the transmission from shifting constantly. You can "manually shift" the automatic by starting with O/D off in "1", then shift to "2" then shift to "D"(3rd) and then press the button again (turn O/D on, 4th gear)"

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I never disengage the overdrive (4th gear ) for regular driving, only for some hwy hills or conditions.

But, I do use it to downshift, alot

:D

·
Registered
595 Posts
My Overdrive is ALWAYS off. I rely on my ECO light and if Overdrive is engaged, the ECO light doesn't work......
Marc, you have it backwards. You always keep your Overdrive on. I think you mean that you keep the indicator light off.
When O/D is off, then it won't shift to 4th, and the Eco light won't come on.

I used to play around with mine, but now leave the O/D on almost all the time. I sometimes use it for engine braking, by hitting the button, it downshifts to 3rd.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Roadwrench..
My overdrive is Always OFF (when it's on my Overdrive indicator light lights up and my ECO light does not come on.
So, I have my Overdrive off so that my ECO light stays on...
I'm not backwards man :D

·
Banned
196 Posts
Marc, you have it backwards. You always keep your Overdrive on. I think you mean that you keep the indicator light off.
When O/D is off, then it won't shift to 4th, and the Eco light won't come on.

I used to play around with mine, but now leave the O/D on almost all the time. I sometimes use it for engine braking, by hitting the button, it downshifts to 3rd.
:eek: Unless he does like I or you might do and drive it like you stole it on some days. And throws it into a corner or on-off ramp and wish to hold 3rd for engine braking and not get 4th and free wheeling. :D

Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, GO Speed Racer GOOOOOOO! ROTFLMAO

·
Registered
595 Posts
Roadwrench..
My overdrive is Always OFF (when it's on my Overdrive indicator light lights up and my ECO light does not come on.
Marc, when the O/D indicator is on, then your overdrive is shut off. That is why the Eco light won't come on.

The definition of overdrive is an extra gear for highway use. Lets ses, ah, ok, with the Soul, the default is O/D on. So, when the light is showing, the O/D is off. If your O/D was off, it wouldn't shift into 4th [overdrive] gear.

What you are doing, makes sense, I just think you have the terminology mixed up. Once again, you have the O/D on, but the indicator off.

Does that make sense now?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Roadwrench..
Marc,

Perhaps the Canadian models are the opposite of the US ones. For us (US) the OD(off) indicator is not illuminated when I drive on the highway using 4th gear. If I want to slow down without the brakes, I click the OD off, the dash indicator lights up and I lose the ECO light.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Roadwrench! You are so right! My apologies. Yes, what you said is correct. I guess I am BACKWARDS after all. On my way home, I played with the O/D button and discovered that my O/D is ENGAGED all the time. When I press on the button, the O/D OFF light lights up. I thought it was the other way around. Shows you how much I play with my O/D button.
Roadwrench, thanks so much for setting me straight, or should I say FORWARD. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys and this also brings up another question that I had. Is the ECO light only on the 4 u models? I have a 2U and have yet to notice the ECO light come on. When I test drove a 4 U Soul before buying my 2 U, I did notice the ECO light on during my test drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Overdrive Off Button & Manual Shifting

There is one key difference between the Soul's OD Off button and that on other cars that I've driven. If you're driving on the highway and you hit the button, you not only turn off the overdrive but also shift down to 3rd gear which can cause some fairly serious revs. The best use of the button is when driving in stop and go traffic and if you're in a prolonged period of low speed driving (a 25 mph zone that goes on for a while). As for shifting the automatic soul manually, I wouldn't recommend it. The transmission just doesn't respond quickly enough to make it worth your while. It's better to modulate the shifting with your right foot. If you're really keen on shifting gears yourself, you should have opted for the manual gear box.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
On my 2010 USA Soul + w/auto

My ECO light works no matter if OD is engaged or not.

way2kul said:
As for shifting the automatic soul manually, I wouldn't recommend it. The transmission just doesn't respond quickly enough to make it worth your while.
Using the shifter to hold me in certian gear longer has been working fine for me
I understand it's not comparable to my last car with a Automatic, 69 camaro w/350 turbo w/shift kit
So I don't push too hard.

I would say,
I use the shifter in my auto for accelaration reasons about 10%
I use the shifter for downshifting about 5%
I use the OD (for the reasons stated in the owners manual) about 5%
I use the OD for down shifting about 10%

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
ECO light does work when in OD. Eco light goes by the RPMs if you are gunning it or revs are too high it goes off.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The ECO light can be turned on or off via the trip button. Also the ECO function is turned off when the overdrive is off, or if you are driving faster than 70 mph.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, possibly Kia changed how the Eco light works. Mine functions like Headcase's. it seems some of earlier 2010s that have the Eco light, will still show up with O/D switched off.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well, possibly Kia changed how the Eco light works. Mine functions like Headcase's. it seems some of earlier 2010s that have the Eco light, will still show up with O/D switched off.
Seems so, ( 5/09 production )
Just used my OD ( off ) tonight & like I said, mine ECO light works either way, OD on (or) off,
As long as you are under 69mph, as mentioned.
I haven't found a reason to turn off the ECO light feature using the trip button,
but I seem to remember someone here turning it off every time they drove cause they found it annoying :confused:
:D

·
Registered
595 Posts
I leave it on. When I am trying to drive economically, it is one more indicator that I am doing so.

Maybe I'm getting older and because of it, I'm not bothered by little things like the Eco light, or "Transfer Complete". I still am really bothered by rattles, in a car. So far, no rattles, although my last car would only have issues when it was very cold. I'm sure caused by contractions. That is why I wonder about those that left clips off, claiming the Soul has more than needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts