Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 Soul. Anyone else getting sick from the toxic chemicals in the interior?

"The best new vehicles for your health include xxxxx and xxxxxx. The worst – Mitsubishi Outlander and Kia Soul. Those vehicles contained upwards of 275 different chemicals in plastics and other materials."

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have noticed a chemical smell when I get into the Soul on a hot day. The hot sun seems to bring out the chemical smell. I have not gotten sick yet. I usually open up all of the windows to get the old air out while the air is cooling the car a bit. I then close the windows. It will probably get better as the car gets older. New RVs usually have the same problem. TPH

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My 2010 never made me sick (that I know of), but I did read about the toxic soup make up of the interior. The new car smell is irresistible but should be avoided. In the summer open your windows as much as possible. The smell seemed to last a long time in the Soul.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Haven't heard of it happening yet, but I guess we'll find out. Meanwhile, how about citing the source of that quotation (as you should have done in the first place), so people can verify that you or somebody didn't just make it up? (I do have to wonder why, if it's a real quote, you didn't include the real names of the "best new vehicles for your health." I also wonder why, if it's supposed to be a reliable quote, the author failed to focus on those chemicals that have been shown to be harmful to human health, if there are any among the reported total of 275 or so.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had mine 10 weeks. It had that wonderful new car smell, but seems to be fading to me now. Anyone else who gets in it says it still has that brand-new car smell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not mention the good cars so it would not look like an advertisement. Google this:

2012 kia soul chemical smell and you will see!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Or as vir said you can just post the source.
Life is chemicals and chemistry. If there was no chemistry, there wouldn't be clean drinking water, food, medicines, you name it.
If you don't like the VOCs, just leave your soul in my driveway and i'll take it off your hands free if charge.

I did have a look at that ecocenter file and it's the biggest load of statistical bs and poorly run analysis i've seen in a while. E.g. Arbitrarily setting a chlorine limit of detection of 10000 ppm when your standard deviation in measurements are as high as 50000 ppm doesn't make sense. That means any reading under 150000 ppm is non-quantifiable. And then arbitrarily converting that level to some arbitrarily weighted factor is not scientifically rigorous.

Why can't they just report all the raw data and let it speak for itself? Probably because the actual difference between the "good" cars and "poor" cars all fall within the total error in the measurements i.e. the difference isn't statistically significant.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did not mention the good cars so it would not look like an advertisement. Google this:

2012 kia soul chemical smell and you will see!
No. Here's why. Google will come up with all kinds of stuff, without distinction between reliable and unreliable. You'll note weinerd's criticism that the article you were apparently referring to is highly unreliable (to put it politely). You can either respond that (1) that isn't the article you were referring to (and then identify the one you were referring to), or (2) that article is reliable (with reasons why), or at least (3) you yourself have actually gotten sick as an ascertainable result of specified, identifiably toxic chemicals that are present in the Kia Soul but not in the allegedly good cars. "Google this" is not a substitute for citing sources and using sound reasoning.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I saw an article in US News earlier this year about this testing. The tested vehicle was the 2011 Soul, prior to the refresh, so we don't really know where the 2012 would fall on the chart. Even if the numbers on the Soul are higher than some other vehicles, I have personally not experienced any problems and do not expect to, but that's not to say that a small group of hyper sensitive people may have an issue - those who cannot tolerate fragrances and chemicals in normal household and hygiene products. IMHO, it sounds like someone is fishing for a class action suit to help out those poor down and out lawyers. :rolleyes:

The article also points out how all manufacturers have improved in this area:

Researchers Name New Cars with the Most Toxic Interior Materials | U.S. News Best Cars

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
Another group of self appointed "Greenies" out to create a
money making enterprise off scared people.
I don't know about that, I do know some cars have a turrible stink.

Our 2011 Chrysler 200 took at least six months to air out properly. I got the most incredible splitting headaches when it was new, and no known OTC medicine had any effect on said headaches. Really sucked.

Some 200 board posters even got their cars re-done in leather by their friendly local neighborhood Mopar dealer. I did not, didn't even think of raising cain at the dealership.

I left windows wide open and a box fan running whenever it was parked in the garage. After many moons, the smell and symptoms declined.

It's very real, not just a bunch of globaloney-warming algore nutcakes trying to make a name.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's commonly accepted that the plastics in new cars will out-gas for a while. As in, ALL new cars. It takes a while for the odors to dissipate as the plastics mature.

However in answer to OP's question: No, we haven't gotten sick. I drive around town with all my windows open in nice weather because I like it that way. That has probably helped to dissipate the VOCs quicker in our car.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
not encountered any problems in my 2012 model in this regard.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am sensitive to smells and chemicals.

I did not have a problem with the 2012 Soul.

It is possible you are sensitive to the chemicals.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting that I have had a small health quirk arise since my purchase. I have read about chemicals being carcinogenic in a new car, but reading further on liver toxicity as a result of these chemicals has spiked my interest. I drive with the windows up always, with A/C on usually. I may switch it up with some fresh air cruising and see if that helps. I am completely open to this being legit or a green party hoax.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Interesting that I have had a small health quirk arise since my purchase. I have read about chemicals being carcinogenic in a new car, but reading further on liver toxicity as a result of these chemicals has spiked my interest. I drive with the windows up always, with A/C on usually. I may switch it up with some fresh air cruising and see if that helps. I am completely open to this being legit or a green party hoax.
also helps when its not in the re-circulation mode when you run the a/c continuously.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts