Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 soul + with no roof rails and no trailer hitch. We are planning on making a trip to Florida (from Indiana) at the end of April and my wife and I were talking about ways to add additional storage capacity.
For reference we did this trip last year and fit everything we needed to behind the 2nd row of seats (we have two kids) but it was really tight... mainly due to our double stroller.

I was thinking about adding a soft rooftop carrier to the top of the car (my dad used to do this on family road trips growing up) but we have no roof rails to hold it down and the options to do it without roof rails seem questionable (at least for long-term use). I could add roof rails but that's an additional cost (not trying to spend a fortune here if possible). Also, I'm wondering how much adding something like this would kill the gas mileage.

The other option is adding a hitch and one of those rear floating cargo carriers. I have no experience with those so no idea how ideal (or not) they are.

Just looking for general opinions at this point. The biggest factor is storing our stroller since it consumes the most space behind the 2nd row of seats. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
144 Posts
I have Kia's oem crossbars on my 2020. They are quiet and haven't had any noticeable effect on my fuel economy. They are worth the money. Don't be cheap and try the OMAC ones on ebay and Amazon. They are garbage.

Also, some try to attach soft carriers to their roofs with no crossbars. Don't do it. You only want to carry weight that's mounted to your frame. Your bare roof can't handle it.

·
Registered
2016 MT
20 Posts
Just looking for general opinions at this point. The biggest factor is storing our stroller since it consumes the most space behind the 2nd row of seats. Thanks.
Is it possible to rent a double stroller when you arrive in Florida?
If not, could you purchase one for your use when you are down there, and then donate it to a local shelter/women's organization?

(I don't know if either of these would be cheaper than installing roof rails and a storage system + loss in fuel economy, just spitballin here)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed a curt bolt on hitch to my 2015. They're only between $100-150 and can be installed in an hour or two if you are handy and takes the 1-1/4" class I receiver. I pull my harbor freight trailer with mine, so I don't have any experience with the hitch carriers. I could see it being cumbersome if you're trying to get your rear hatch open and have one of the hitch carriers full of stuff in the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible to rent a double stroller when you arrive in Florida?
If not, could you purchase one for your use when you are down there, and then donate it to a local shelter/women's organization?

(I don't know if either of these would be cheaper than installing roof rails and a storage system + loss in fuel economy, just spitballin here)
You can rent strollers in Orlando (we're going to Disney). That is something we've done in the past when flying.
I was simply trying to entertain other ideas for long term storage. Something not too expensive that could be used on future trips. It's not a huge hassle to take our stroller but it allows extra space if we don't have to.
If we rent one it's about $75-80. Not terrible but you do that a few times and you could afford something like a rooftop carrier.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul, 1.6l Auto base model.
19 Posts
Only an idea, but see if a junkyard or pic-an-pull has one you could pull off. I believe mine has at least the spaces for one to be added if I wanted to. But this way you could also see about getting them cheap, how to get them off and possibly back on.

As I said, only an idea, and possibly what I would do in your situation. But then again, I love going to a junkyard lol.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The trailer would be more versatile but also larger and more $$$.
The Curt hitch and HF trailer, maybe $500 or $600 ish depending on what trailer and such.
If you install hitch and build trailer diy.

Did not look at the rack and roof box thing but would think it is less $$$.
Maybe easier to use. Less capacity. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
If this is just a vacation trip, rent a car. You save the significant mileage on your own vehicle, don't have to buy or install anything, can get something with the amount of room you need, and don't have to worry about vehicle trouble on the trip. If you check out your local car rentals, you'll often find all kinds of savings and discounts that by the time you calculate the per-mile cost to your own vehicle, a rental comes out virtually even with your vehicle. Don't make the mistake of thinking the trip is free because you are using your own car. Use the IRS per-mile reimbursement calculator, knock about half off for gas (that you're going to use either way) and depreciation to get a better idea of your true cost to your vehicle. For example, if it's 1000 miles each way, and you drive 500 miles while you're down there, take 2500 miles x IRS reimbursement (about 58 cents/mile now) and you get $1450. Knock half off this and you get $750. A rental isn't going to cost anywhere near this amount, but you get the idea. The IRS doesn't give you that reimbursement because they're generous - they give it because miles=cost. At a minimum, you're 2500 miles closer to an oil change on your car, which is probably $30-50. You've knocked 5-10% of the life off your tires. ETC.

One of the reasons I was always able to exist with small, cheap cars, and things that had a billion miles is that I never took those vehicles out of town. As long as it was close enough to have a reasonable tow back to my driveway, I could keep a high-mile vehicle going for a long time.

Adding a roof rack with luggage is going to have a significant drag on your fuel economy. On this vehicle I wouldn't be surprised to see you lose 3-7 MPG on the highway with luggage on top as you are killing aerodynamics. Considering the Soul isn't king when it comes to fuel economy anyway I bet you could rent a nice sedan with a big trunk and save enough money on gas to mostly pay for the rental.

Obviously, if you're going to stay there for a month then you have to revisit this whole strategy and in that case I would jump for the cargo carrier & trailer hitch.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Soul, Base (Modding), 6-Speed, Bright Silver
62 Posts
I have the OEM roof rails and a Harbor Freight cargo basket and we get anywhere between 27 to 30 mpg still. The weight of these items is less than an full size adult, so the effect on mpg is minimal. The impact on the overall aerodynamics on this car do not really make a difference as the souls are not an aerodynamic-centered design per se (blunt square-ish front end, box shape body as a whole). If anything, I get a bit of wind noise from the turbulence created by the rack when hitting a wind gust.

I also have a hitch as well for bikes mainly.

I guess it really depends on how much you're looking to haul. The roof weight limit is around 135 lbs. only. But you'll have ample square feet for cargo bags and what not. The tongue weight on the hitch is about the same (all need to be under 150 lbs.).

If you need more than 135 lbs to haul, I would go with the hitch, then rent a lil trailer bed (a 4" x 7" trailer bed for $15 per day at Uhaul) to haul for the trip. I believe you can tow under 1250 lbs. with no issues (I have not had to do this yet-- I got my Soul in January --so anyone please correct me if I am wrong about the bed.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the OEM roof rails and a Harbor Freight cargo basket and we get anywhere between 27 to 30 mpg still. The weight of these items is less than an full size adult, so the effect on mpg is minimal. The impact on the overall aerodynamics on this car do not really make a difference as the souls are not an aerodynamic-centered design per se (blunt square-ish front end, box shape body as a whole). If anything, I get a bit of wind noise from the turbulence created by the rack when hitting a wind gust.

I also have a hitch as well for bikes mainly.

I guess it really depends on how much you're looking to haul. The roof weight limit is around 135 lbs. only. But you'll have ample square feet for cargo bags and what not. The tongue weight on the hitch is about the same (all need to be under 150 lbs.).

If you need more than 135 lbs to haul, I would go with the hitch, then rent a lil trailer bed (a 4" x 7" trailer bed for $15 per day at Uhaul) to haul for the trip. I believe you can tow under 1250 lbs. with no issues (I have not had to do this yet, so anyone please correct me if I am wrong about the bed.)
I rebuilt my deck this last fall and hauled (in two trips) 400sf of 2x6's and 4x4s. I could definitely feel my soul straining pulling all that wood, plus the trailer didn't look to hot either, but it got it done. I only live a couple miles from the hardware store so I kept it under 40 on the way back. I did the calculations on the weight of treated lumber to keep it around 1000lbs each trip. I would not advise maxing out the towing capacity (or lack thereof in the USA manual) in any means for long duration trips.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
206 Posts
... no roof rails and no trailer hitch.... ways to add additional storage capacity....
Couple ideas. Haven't personally used either though been thinking of getting the ceiling cargo net.

Interior - ceiling cargo net.

My Kia Soul has grab handles above each door which are where the net would attach to. I think some of the listings on Amazon show way too generous amount stuff being put up in the net (and thus blocking the view out the rear) but I'm thinking could place a few lightweight items up there out of the way yet easy to get to.

Exterior -
cargo saddlebag. At Amazon cargo saddlebag (same brand - currently showing a Used-Like New one for $122.06). Says can installed without roof rails. Wouldn't have the effect on drag like a rooftop bag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The items you will be taking with you on the trip, will you need them all while driving? Could you FedEx/UPS some of the items to your destination then back home for the return? Maybe ship the kids? Just put some air holes in the boxes, include some food and water! :ROFLMAO:

Renting a different, larger vehicle might be a better option, especially if you can get a good deal on the rental. Considering the current economic condition and seriously reduced travel industry, you can likely find good deals on a rental vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
144 Posts
Considering the current economic condition and seriously reduced travel industry, you can likely find good deals on a rental vehicle.
It's actually the opposite in many places. The rental car companies have sold off a lot of vehicles over the last year. In my area, it's near impossible to find a rental car from what I've heard.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The trailer would be more versatile but also larger and more $$$.
The Curt hitch and HF trailer, maybe $500 or $600 ish depending on what trailer and such.
If you install hitch and build trailer diy.
For my 2018 Soul Turbo, I got my Curt hitch for $130 + $50 mount + $75 installed by U-Haul. Not very expensive at etrailer.com. Mainly, I use it for my hitch bike rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a 2016 soul + with no roof rails and no trailer hitch. We are planning on making a trip to Florida (from Indiana) at the end of April and my wife and I were talking about ways to add additional storage capacity.
For reference we did this trip last year and fit everything we needed to behind the 2nd row of seats (we have two kids) but it was really tight... mainly due to our double stroller.

I was thinking about adding a soft rooftop carrier to the top of the car (my dad used to do this on family road trips growing up) but we have no roof rails to hold it down and the options to do it without roof rails seem questionable (at least for long-term use). I could add roof rails but that's an additional cost (not trying to spend a fortune here if possible). Also, I'm wondering how much adding something like this would kill the gas mileage.

The other option is adding a hitch and one of those rear floating cargo carriers. I have no experience with those so no idea how ideal (or not) they are.

I'd recommend a trailer hitch receiver and a cargo platform (Harbor Freight). You can buy a large plastic tub at Walmart to set on the platform, a blue 5X8 tarp and a pair of ratchet tie downs to secure the tub and contents to the platform. Cover the tub and contents with the tarp. Attach the ratchet tie downs and cinch them. Use a few short bungie cords to secure the ends of the tarp to the platform. This works good, but you can't open the rear hatch with the platform loaded.

·
Registered
2016 MT
20 Posts
I'd recommend a trailer hitch receiver and a cargo platform (Harbor Freight).
The local law enforcement might have some issues with not being able to see the plate clearly (they do around here, anyway). I've been pulled over a few times with just the tray-type bike rack on the back (no bikes) because it doesn't allow a clear shot of the plate. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Had the same issue- my truck engine took a dump the day before we were supposed to leave to drive 10 hours across Texas for spring break. I bought the OEM roof rack from the dealer and had it on in under 10 minutes. It's a really nice set of bars for $250- wide and contoured for good aero, and they don't have any significant effect on gas mileage. They integrate well enough with the lines of the car that I decided to leave them on. I have a roof cargo box that I put on and take off as needed. The one I have is a "SportRack" brand that is actually made by Thule, just branded as their budget line. It was $200 ish shipped through Amazon Prime. I'd go ahead and get the roof bars for future added capability.

If you get a roof BAG, make sure to get one that has enough tension straps to keep the top and front from flying around in the wind.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Not sure if you have pulled the trigger on a roof rack or trailer hitch, but I agree with jdmartin--it would be much simpler to rent a minivan, especially if you are a reasonable driving distance from an airport. If you are a Costco member, check out the car rental rates in their travel section--they list 4-6 rental companies and their best rates. There is no cost or obligation to snag deals (unlike Priceline or Hotwire) and if you check a couple times per week after your first reservation and if the prices drop, you can make a new reservation then cancel the first one. It is amazing how much the prices vary from day to day for the same vehicle at the same location. If you don't live close to an airport, I am not sure if the local rental outlets have low rates like the airports.

Traveling a long distance in a packed vehicle can be physically and mentally taxing. Plus having your cargo inside provides an extra layer of security--out here on the left coast, miscreants will relieve you of your belongings if they are on cargo trays or roof top trays/soft carriers when the vehicle is parked in a restaurant or place of lodging.

I love my Soul, but minivans ride much better and have almost the same mpg. I installed a Curt hitch a while back for bike racks, but usually end up putting the bikes in the back of our van.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you don't live close to an airport, I am not sure if the local rental outlets have low rates like the airports.
I think I have read rental places not near the airport are a better deal, usually.
The ones at or adjacent the airport figure they have captive customers, who fly in and want a car, and don't want to find a way into town to get a cheaper deal. That said I have done OK with package deals on Orbitz, getting car at the airport. It is certainly more convenient that way.

Side note, a low cost rental was how I came to the Soul. I had no idea what a Kia Soul was before that. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts