Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Optional tweeter and wiring...

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SoulMan76 
#1 ·
So I am new here and this is my first 'real' post. I have searched for the answer I am looking for but haven't found it yet.

I have a brand new 2013 base auto.
The stereo is just the basic 4 speaker setup no amp.
Now, when looking at the available options for this model I see that tweeters are on the list.
So my questions are these...
The 4 speakers there already are obviously full range speakers. When the tweeters are added as an option do they go in and replace the stock speaker with a midrange driver to pair with the tweeter or do they just add the tweeter along with the full range speaker? This seems like it would be redundant.
Assuming it is the latter, if I have just the four speakers now, and I wanted to add the tweeter. Can I just pop the cover and plug in the tweeter or will the wiring and plug not even be there?
For those that do have the stock speakers with the stock tweeters, how are the tweeters wired?
Do the wires go from the tweeter directly into to the back of the head unit (with the head unit doing crossover duty), or from the tweeter down into the door where the full range speaker is? Or do the wires for the tweeter and the wires for the door speaker meet at some other location (crossover), before they go into the back of the head unit?

I'd like to add some components, but I'd like to utilize as much of the stock wiring as possible.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
First off, I highly doubt that the wiring is there. Even on the upgraded model with the premium sound system there are only 4 outputs. This means that the tweeters are 'capped' off of the door speakers.

I'm fairly certain that even on the upgraded models, the door speakers are 'full range' and have just added tweeters. Now you may think that is a bit redundant, but honestly there is no such thing as a full range speaker... they can get close, but it's pretty hard to do. You'd be surprised that by keeping those speakers in the door adding tweeters how much clarity comes out.

#4 · (Edited)
The tweeters are run in parallel with the door speakers, which are basic coaxials/full range, they have a capacitor wired to them as basically a 6db crossover, that keeps the damaging frequencies from getting to them. Although the factory speakers don't have a separate tweeter attached to them like a quality speaker would, it's still designed to handle "full range" duty. Since you don't have tweeters now, adding a set would definitely help improve sound quality, but won't make the lackluster factory door speakers, which handle a large amount of the sound, to sound that much better.

I'm almost positive you don't have the wiring for the tweeters run to the factory tweeter locations if they weren't installed from the factory. You have a few options as to how you can run them, and what type of tweeters and speakers you could use. Best bet for sound quality IMO, would be to get a good set of components, with a good 12-18db crossover network that you could mount inside the door, and mount the tweeter on the pillar, or the dash like the factory ones. It will depend on how much work you want to do running the wires to the location you decide on though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.