Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to buy a couple of filters or my 2010 kia soul 2u. Does anybody know of a discount online store where I can buy these parts from? I did a Google search and found the following stores. Since I am in Canada I found the following Canadian stores

https://www.bestpricecarparts.ca
https://www.autopartsway.ca/
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay

Just curious if I have not found the obvious one yet?

Thanks for any recommendations in advance.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
what kind of filers are you looking to buy?

TIP: enter "2010 Soul 2u 2.0L (and the type of transmission)" in the DRIVES profile on the left side (see mine) and it will save you having to keep repeating it and makes it much easier for us to answer any future questions - thanks.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
thanks for filling in the Drives profile. You can get a cabin filter from Canadian Tire, but check it against the cost at the dealers. Many members have got cabin filters on eBay so you could check that out too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was going to suggest fleabay. I picked up my oil filters from a dealer for about 1/3 what my local dealer wanted. Free shipping, too.
This was in the lower 48, though.
Haven't set foot in Canada in about 40 years. Border crossings were a lot different than now, so I hear.

I've heard good things about the Fram cabin air filter. Haven't changed mine yet.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to buy a couple of filters or my 2010 kia soul 2u. Does anybody know of a discount online store where I can buy these parts from? I did a Google search and found the following stores. Since I am in Canada I found the following Canadian stores

https://www.bestpricecarparts.ca
https://www.autopartsway.ca/
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay

Just curious if I have not found the obvious one yet?

Thanks for any recommendations in advance.
There are many different filters on a Soul......what ones are you talking about?
If it's an Oil Filter, buy it ONLY from a Kia Dealer or you risk trashing your engine.
They put out a service bulletin on that.

That leaves the engine air filter and Cabin Air Fitler. Both can be had cheaply from Rock Auto.
That's where I buy mine.

Cheers Mate!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
he wasn't talking about the oil filters - he said cabin filter and air filter (see post #3)
I believe SonicExplorer was referring to the post by TechnoMage:

“There are many different filters on a Soul......what ones are you talking about?
If it's an Oil Filter, buy it ONLY from a Kia Dealer or you risk trashing your engine.
They put out a service bulletin on that.”

KIA does not make oil filters; they source them from a filter manufacturer and are private labeled. There are lots of companies making oil filters for a lot of different engines and they all seem to be working just fine; that is of course you are using the correct filter and installing it properly. I don’t understand what would be different on a KIA filter than any other manufactures filter that would cause the engine to be trashed.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I believe SonicExplorer was referring to the post by TechnoMage:

“There are many different filters on a Soul......what ones are you talking about?
They put out a service bulletin on that.”

KIA does not make oil filters; they source them from a filter manufacturer and are private labeled. There are lots of companies making oil filters for a lot of different engines and they all seem to be working just fine; that is of course you are using the correct filter and installing it properly. I don’t understand what would be different on a KIA filter than any other manufactures filter that would cause the engine to be trashed.
I know that, and that is because both of them did not read the responses from the first posting.

All manufacturers source the vast majority of their products out but they have to be built to their standards. Here's a KIA filter

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
IN a Kia Service Bulletin, there is a detailed explanation, why the Kia filter is the best for the new Kia engines, with VVT.

I won't go into all the gory details, but with the Kia filter selling for as cheap as any GOOD filter of another brand, and also coming with a FREE crush washer for the drain plug, what would anyone's advantage be, for buying something else, that may not meet Kia's spec's. I don't get it!

If you have any major problem with a Kia engine, and the dealer finds a brand X filter on it, they CAN possibly void the warranty and leave the owner of the car to buy a new engine. It may be a one in a thousand possibility, that I'd ever have an engine problem, but I'm really not a gambler and I don't want to take that chance.

I use the oil and filter that Kia specifies and I feel like my warranty is secure. I buy my filters, several at a time, at my Kia dealer and am glad to get a Kia approved filter for less than $6. each.

I'm pretty sure, that the guys who take their Souls to Quick Change shops for their oil changes, are NOT getting Kia approved filters.

:cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know that, and that is because both of them did not read the responses from the first posting.

All manufacturers source the vast majority of their products out but they have to be built to their standards. Here's a KIA filter

Sorry, but I believe that to be nothing more them KIA or any other manufacturer try to convince you that they have the better product. The same as when FRAM tries to convince you their filter is better than Purolator, or Motorcraft, or Mobil 1 or Bosch. It’s all advertising, nothing more. The cost to have an outside manufacturer build a specific product to their exact specifications would be cost prohibitive. What they do is put out a list of requirements to the outside source or, they look at what is available and select a product based on cost and requirements. KIA is a company that needs to keep cost low to be competitive in the market place. Demanding products be built to their exact specification would raise the cost; so instead they design around existing products and leave the design of those products up to the specific manufacturer. Now, some products, such as head light or tail light units are built to design specifications for an aesthetical purpose, but items that do have to meet a certain look can be sourced and many times are not only shared among vehicles in their own line but also with vehicles in other manufacturers model lineup. The Fram model #HP9686 is not only used on many KIA and Hyundai engine models but also on some engines from Asuna, John Deere, Kubota, Mitsubishi, Onan, Scion, Subaru, and Yanmar. Pep Boys list 10 different filters for the KIA Soul with the 2.0L engine and are priced from $3.29 all the way to $13.99. One could assume that the higher priced filter would be the better product, after all there must have been some cost cutting to keep the price so low on the cheapest filter. But then again if you used that argument then you would not have bought a KIA in the first place, as KIA cars are priced less than many of its competitors with similar size vehicles and you would have bought the more expensive car, like a BMW or Mercedes Benz.
KIA, or any manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because you used a product that was not manufactured or private labeled by them. As long as the product meets certain standards, such as motor oils that meet certain specifications as required by the vehicle manufacturer, then all is well. Same goes for oil filters. KIA would have to prove that the oil filter caused the problem do to a design flaw and that their filters have never suffered the same failure.
And one last item. The person posted asking about a service bulletin, HE WAS NOT REFFERING TO THE ORIGINAL POSTERS QUESTION!!! So maybe you should take a little more time when you are reading a post and not jump to the wrong conclusion. All post at times diverges from the original question or response, get use to it. This is not your forum is it? I would suggest you don’t treat it and those that post as if it were. I appreciate that you have some inside information about the internal workings of KIA, but that does not make you an expert on all things. I’m old enough to realize my limitations and that some people may know more than I do. But I also know when I have a better understanding and more knowledge then others, including those that should have better knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I did take the time and new exactly what was being asked but was trying to prevent getting off on the wrong subject and getting bogged down in not what was original asked by trying to answer the OP's original question (sorry if I wanted to stay on the subject of the thread), but now you've proved the point as to what I was trying to prevent but just to make you happy this is what Sonic was referring too. You can choose to ignore it, its entirely your choice.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sorry, but I believe that to be nothing more them KIA or any other manufacturer try to convince you that they have the better product. The same as when FRAM tries to convince you their filter is better than Purolator, or Motorcraft, or Mobil 1 or Bosch. It’s all advertising, nothing more. The cost to have an outside manufacturer build a specific product to their exact specifications would be cost prohibitive. What they do is put out a list of requirements to the outside source or, they look at what is available and select a product based on cost and requirements. KIA is a company that needs to keep cost low to be competitive in the market place. Demanding products be built to their exact specification would raise the cost; so instead they design around existing products and leave the design of those products up to the specific manufacturer. Now, some products, such as head light or tail light units are built to design specifications for an aesthetical purpose, but items that do have to meet a certain look can be sourced and many times are not only shared among vehicles in their own line but also with vehicles in other manufacturers model lineup. The Fram model #HP9686 is not only used on many KIA and Hyundai engine models but also on some engines from Asuna, John Deere, Kubota, Mitsubishi, Onan, Scion, Subaru, and Yanmar. Pep Boys list 10 different filters for the KIA Soul with the 2.0L engine and are priced from $3.29 all the way to $13.99. One could assume that the higher priced filter would be the better product, after all there must have been some cost cutting to keep the price so low on the cheapest filter. But then again if you used that argument then you would not have bought a KIA in the first place, as KIA cars are priced less than many of its competitors with similar size vehicles and you would have bought the more expensive car, like a BMW or Mercedes Benz.
KIA, or any manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because you used a product that was not manufactured or private labeled by them. As long as the product meets certain standards, such as motor oils that meet certain specifications as required by the vehicle manufacturer, then all is well. Same goes for oil filters. KIA would have to prove that the oil filter caused the problem do to a design flaw and that their filters have never suffered the same failure.
And one last item. The person posted asking about a service bulletin, HE WAS NOT REFFERING TO THE ORIGINAL POSTERS QUESTION!!! So maybe you should take a little more time when you are reading a post and not jump to the wrong conclusion. All post at times diverges from the original question or response, get use to it. This is not your forum is it? I would suggest you don’t treat it and those that post as if it were. I appreciate that you have some inside information about the internal workings of KIA, but that does not make you an expert on all things. I’m old enough to realize my limitations and that some people may know more than I do. But I also know when I have a better understanding and more knowledge then others, including those that should have better knowledge on the subject.
:laughonfloor

·
Registered
24 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a new Kia and was told that he must use KIA oil filters by the salesman. He was also told that not changing his timing belt at 60,000 miles would void the powertrain warranty. Haven't seen that in the book yet but haven't really looked. (only have 15,000 on mine.)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Of all the self-proclaimed EXPERTS in the world, WHO would actually know more about any car than the company who designed it and built it and whose going to back up the 10 year warranty?

That warranty can be worth thousands of dollars to someone with just plain bad luck.
My luck has never been all that good, so I'm not going to tweak the nose of Fate, by ignoring what my Owners Manual and my dealer tells me.

I walk into my dealer's parts dept, and right there in front of me on the first shelf behind the counter are the Kia Soul filters. And at just $5 and change, what #$%^ would not just take one home? For myself, (not talking about anyone else here) that would be one of the stupidest things I've ever done.

Some of yous guys have a lot more money to throw around than I do. I've said this before, "I live on a very limited Social Security Check each month and it takes about 40% of that check just to keep my little Gertrude on the road". So you better dang well believe me when I say that I'm going to do everything in my power to protect my car and my warranty.

Y'all want to fight about whether to use a Kia oil filter or Brand X? Go ahead! When I see y'all broke down along the road, some day, I'll wave as I drive by. :laughonfloor

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a new Kia and was told that he must use KIA oil filters by the salesman. He was also told that not changing his timing belt at 60,000 miles would void the power-train warranty. Haven't seen that in the book yet but haven't really looked. (only have 15,000 on mine.)
Sir,
You didn't say what Kia? Different cars have different spec's and different maintenance requirements.

Some cars DO have belts, but my car does not. It has a steel chain, like the drive chain on a Harley. It runs in oil and should run for the lifetime of my car, or me, whichever comes first. My Owners Manual says to inspect it at 60,000 miles. I see no problem with that at all.... unless I die first. Then it really won't matter.

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Wow, you guys had better watch it, all this heat can cause your oil to get burned.

Just to add my two cents worth, I get my oil changed since I don't have the means to do it right now. I go to the Valvoline center just down the road. I asked them about what filter they used. They immediately produced the service bulletin shown in this thread and told me (and showed me) the stash of KIA oil filters they had. IN FACT: I was refused an oil change initially because of the service bulletin and the station did not have the filters in stock, this was on one of the Exclaims. I took my base to the dealer to have the initial break in oil removed and replace before I was aware of the bulletin. They used a Fram filter. Later when I pointed this out, they were unable to find the service bulletin in their system, needless to say, when I do use them, I insist that they use the KIA filter and check to make sure that they do.

Just saying, you know...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts