Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with IVT transaxle in Mars Orange
24 Posts
I'd never owned a "non-domestic" brand vehicle in the 45 years I've been driving. Back in February I was looking at a Jeep Renegade (FWD) but decided to drive a Soul before making a final decision. Glad I did...the Soul is a better driving car in every way and I spent less $$$. After 5000+ miles, I can honestly say that the Soul is the best driving vehicle I've ever owned. Quick, responsive, quiet, good fuel economy, and comfortable. The only thing I might complain about is the lumber wagon ride...but on the other hand, the stiff suspension keeps the car from leaning in curves or corners.

I hope to drive this Soul for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have really NO need for Sport Mode, and for pure simplicity, the Plain Vanilla mode works great.
I'm with you on the Sport Mode. I've used it a few times on uphill, short freeway onramps, but I don't use it for regular driving. Shift points are too high to suit me. More recently, I've even avoided it on freeway merges. If I give the car more accelerator, the shift point moves higher in a sensible way. I've only done a few full throttle accelerations in the KIA in normal mode, but it responds well to them. Mostly, I stay no more than three-quarter throttle.

Like you, on long trips, I use manual shift to get access to the 7th and 8th ratios on long Interstate stretches. Mileage is better when I do that.

Mostly, though, I drive the car like any other automatic transmission vehicle.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
After driving in lethargy mode, sport mode is an occasional welcomed change.
Plus...it really helps clear out those cobwebs in both car and driver!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
FLH also said: "so I like to keep her moving, and she loves it too"

Maybe it's just me but that's a kinda kreepy relationship with ones Kia!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Yeah, it's just you! Can't you make a post without quoting me? Try it sometime.

:cool:

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with IVT transaxle in Mars Orange
24 Posts
I'm with you on the Sport Mode. I've used it a few times on uphill, short freeway onramps, but I don't use it for regular driving. Shift points are too high to suit me. More recently, I've even avoided it on freeway merges. If I give the car more accelerator, the shift point moves higher in a sensible way. I've only done a few full throttle accelerations in the KIA in normal mode, but it responds well to them. Mostly, I stay no more than three-quarter throttle.

Like you, on long trips, I use manual shift to get access to the 7th and 8th ratios on long Interstate stretches. Mileage is better when I do that.

Mostly, though, I drive the car like any other automatic transmission vehicle.
Precisely how I operate. I don't like the engine revving unless I absolutely need it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The one time I tried sport mode, when I started on to an off ramp which required gradual slowing, the tranny downshifted and was revving higher than I would want. My previous Ford Escape used to do the same thing in sport mode.
The Sport Mode keeps the rpm higher for, yes, "sport" driving. So the higher rpm provides more horsepower - 113 at 4,500 rpm (based upon advertised torque specs) than non-sport. This gives you instant power rather than the slow normal mode and so you can zip really fast around town or on curves. I come from owning a Mustang GT V8 with 260 hp at 4,000 rpm and that's where I kept the manual trans when sport driving.:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Retired city dweller here. My annual mileage has been around 3,000 miles a year (less the last 12 months). I change my oil once a year to stay within the warranty time limit. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. if I drove 5,000 miles a year i would still change annually using EP or AP for extended miles. It all depends on how many miles I drive a year and what oil I use, to determine how often I change oil (within the warranty parameters). If I was driving 15,000 miles a year, my choices would be 5 oil changes a year with mobil 1 or 3 changes a year with mobil 1 EP or AP. MAYBE twice a year with AP. Check your oil level every gas fill up.

George
The 2020 owners manual describes Normal and Severe driving conditions which determine when to change the oil and addressing other maintenance. States if any of the conditions below occur, then severe is the schedule to be followed:
A. Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 5 miles in normal (assume above freezing) temperature or less than 10 miles in freezing temperature.
B. Extensive low speed driving for long distances.
C. Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt spread roads.
D. Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather.
E. Driving in heavy dust conditions (same as C?).
F. Driving in heavy traffic area.
G. Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain roads.
H. Towing a trailer (strange since no towing is recommended for the Soul) or using a camper on roof rack.
I. Driving for patrol car, taxi, commercial car or vehicle towing (again, weird this is mentioned).
J. Driving over 106 mph.
K. Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions (same as F?).
So if any of these are true, 3,750 or 6 months, whichever comes first, is what's recommended. I called a few Kia dealers in the Chicago area where we have very cold weather and all of them said we're in the severe category. One said nowhere in Chicago can you consistently drive without stop-and-go traffic. One thing I wonder is if not only the engine but also the trans and brake rotors are considered to have severe wear if driving less than 10 miles a day. Anyway, wanted to put this all out there and see if anyone else is following the recommendation.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,404 Posts
The 2020 owners manual describes Normal and Severe driving conditions which determine when to change the oil and addressing other maintenance. States if any of the conditions below occur, then severe is the schedule to be followed:
A. Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 5 miles in normal (assume above freezing) temperature or less than 10 miles in freezing temperature.
B. Extensive low speed driving for long distances.
C. Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt spread roads.
D. Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather.
E. Driving in heavy dust conditions (same as C?).
F. Driving in heavy traffic area.
G. Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain roads.
H. Towing a trailer (strange since no towing is recommended for the Soul) or using a camper on roof rack.
I. Driving for patrol car, taxi, commercial car or vehicle towing (again, weird this is mentioned).
J. Driving over 106 mph.
K. Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions (same as F?).
So if any of these are true, 3,750 or 6 months, whichever comes first, is what's recommended. I called a few Kia dealers in the Chicago area where we have very cold weather and all of them said we're in the severe category. One said nowhere in Chicago can you consistently drive without stop-and-go traffic. One thing I wonder is if not only the engine but also the trans and brake rotors are considered to have severe wear if driving less than 10 miles a day. Anyway, wanted to put this all out there and see if anyone else is following the recommendation.
Yes, Kia & pretty much all automakers have this exact same policy on Severe Usage in effect. With the tight specs of modern engines & a wide usage of GDI engines, it's become imperative that engine oils be kept clean & fresh. Something many car owners may not have paid much attention to in the past.

A new aspect folks will either pay attention to now, or pay for later with a bigger problem.

(You can find more discussions that have already taken place on Severe Usage by using the Advanced Search feature, located at the top right of your screen by clicking the 3 vertical dots.)

Reactions: Rock the Box

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
818 Posts
Yes, Kia & pretty much all automakers have this exact same policy on Severe Usage in effect. With the tight specs of modern engines & a wide usage of GDI engines, it's become imperative that engine oils be kept clean & fresh. Something many car owners may not have paid much attention to in the past.

A new aspect folks will either pay attention to now, or pay for later with a bigger problem.

(You can find more discussions that have already taken place on Severe Usage by using the Advanced Search feature, located at the top right of your screen by clicking the 3 vertical dots.)
Princess Betsy's motor oil has gradually darkened since her July OC, 800 miles ago!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,404 Posts
My motor oil has gradually darkened since it's July OC, 800 miles ago!
Same here. If I go with the 6 month interval, I'll be doing oil changes at 1,000 miles. I guess we have a new member of the Royal Family living in the garage now 👑

Reactions: eGAK009

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
818 Posts
Same here. If I go with the 6 month interval, I'll be doing oil changes at 1,000 miles. I guess we have a new member of the Royal Family living in the garage now 👑
I shall now refer to her as Princess Betsy.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Darkening of motor oil is not a bad thing. It just means that the detergents in the oil are doing their thing and keeping the engine clean. As Martha Stewart would say, "it's a good thing".
I'd be suspicious of any oil that never darkened.
Years ago, some oil companies bragged about their HD (High Detergent) oil.
We don't hear much about that these days, as they are now bragging about other things, but the detergent is still there, in almost every motor oil.

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!
FLH :cool:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts