Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, my 2020 Soul still has less than 5000 miles on it after a year of ownership. It has had one oil change, at 6 months. They did a computer system update at the time. I'll be taking it in for a second service soon, despite the low mileage.

In those 5000 miles, the car has not exhibited any problems at all. It gets used for weekly shopping, plus a few 1 hour trips from time to time. We just came back from one of those. My only remark on that was how excellent its 40-70 MPH acceleration is. Coming up an uphill on-ramp, starting at about 40 mph, 3/4 throttle had me at 70 mph when it was time to merge onto the Interstate. I can't complain in any way about that performance. The IVT shifted at about 5000 RPM at 3/4 throttle, which is about what I would expect.

The 2.0 L engine has a lot more poop than my 2013 1.6 ever did. I also get over 35 MPG, cruising at 70 on cruise control. Excellent.

Love my Soul!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, my 2020 Soul still has less than 5000 miles on it after a year of ownership. It has had one oil change, at 6 months. They did a computer system update at the time. I'll be taking it in for a second service soon, despite the low mileage.

In those 5000 miles, the car has not exhibited any problems at all. It gets used for weekly shopping, plus a few 1 hour trips from time to time. We just came back from one of those. My only remark on that was how excellent its 40-70 MPH acceleration is. Coming up an uphill on-ramp, starting at about 40 mph, 3/4 throttle had me at 70 mph when it was time to merge onto the Interstate. I can't complain in any way about that performance. The IVT shifted at about 5000 RPM at 3/4 throttle, which is about what I would expect.

The 2.0 L engine has a lot more poop than my 2013 1.6 ever did. I also get over 35 MPG, cruising at 70 on cruise control. Excellent.

Love my Soul!
Great to see you back CA and glad to hear you are loving your new Soul.

I forgot, what did you drive before the Soul?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You mean it's not like a "fancy golf cart" ??? (I remember hearing that somewhere)
Next time you get a clear ON-Ramp, put the hammer down (full throttle, balls to the wall, pedal to the metal, etc)
You may find that you have to hit the brakes to join 80mph traffic. I do! And, your engine will love you for it!
They do like to RUN! And the more you RUN them, the better they will RUN.

I can easily agree with you, that the 2.0L, four banger is a pretty spunky little engine, and does perform better than the 1.6L in the 2013, even as good as it was. And, it was dang good for its size. Mine constantly surprised me.

While wine does get better with age, motor oil does not. Bad things happen in an engine that just SITS, for long periods of time. The age old Rule of Thumb was, 3k miles or 3 months...whichever comes first.
Since I average 1k miles per month, I have no problem following that age old schedule. My dealer's service manager agrees with me, and they don't even question my bringing in my car for a FREE oil change, every 3k miles.
At the same time, they check the car over, from bumper to bumper, looking for any little problems, and they check to see if there are any updates or recalls on my car. It's just WIN, WIN, all the way around.
And last but not least....Everything they do to my car goes in my permanent maintenance record.

Good to hear from you again.
Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,611 Posts

Love my Soul!
Appreciate the update, Transplant. Drive on!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great to see you back CA and glad to hear you are loving your new Soul.

I forgot, what did you drive before the Soul?
Before the 2020 Soul LX ATV, I drove a 2013 Base Soul with manual transmission. Before that, I drove a 1991 Volvo 740. Currently, I also have a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT that is currently full of tree branches that need to go to the chipping facility.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean it's not like a "fancy golf cart" ??? (I remember hearing that somewhere)

Not at all like a "fancy golf cart." I liked the 6-speed manual on my 2013 Soul. A lot. However, my wife said "automatic transmission" when it was time for a new Soul, so there it is. She got tired of rowing through the gears, I guess. :ROFLMAO:,

I'm on an every 6 months service schedule, due to our limited driving habits. Works out just fine, with about 3000-3500 miles on the car every 6 months. It never gets driven without getting up to full temperature and even our grocery shopping is several miles away. We traded our 2013 in with just 40,000 miles on it after seven years of ownership. The 2020 will get traded at the end of its financing period after five years. I like warranties, now that I'm in my 70s. No rolling around under cars for me these days. It's just too hard to get up.

We paid for 10 services when we purchased the car. So, everything gets done at the dealership. That way, all the updates get done automatically.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
820 Posts
The 2.0 L engine has a lot more poop than my 2013 1.6 ever did.
I hope I never find myself behind you on the highway without plenty of wiper fluid! 🤪 😆

·
Registered
577 Posts
I hit my 1 year back in April, around the time I clocked 30k on the odometer. The IVT is a little weird for me coming to a slow down with sport mode enabled. It lurches forward and then comes to an abrupt stop. I have to remind myself constantly to take it out of sport mode from a stop, otherwise the car has driven well.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I have really NO need for Sport Mode, and for pure simplicity, the Plain Vanilla mode works great.
That's like the Manual Shift Mode....I only use it to get into Overdrive (8th gear) when out on the highway.
That makes for a nice, calm, cool, cruise, and saves gas.

CA, you echoed what I've said many times, "Getting down there to service the car is easy, , but it's the getting back up that can be a problem."
I joke around saying, "oh heck, I can FALL down there, but getting up is a different matter."
At 77, I just don't want to have to call 911 and say "I've fallen, and I can't get up!". That would be so embarrassing.

I always serviced my 2013 Soul by myself, and I even built concrete ramps in my back yard to make it easy to "Ramp" the car for servicing. Nowadays, I just drive down to my Kia Dealership and let them do the work, while I drink coffee and watch TV in the customer's lounge. And, I get a free car wash too!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

:cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
FL Hamster- I too use the 8th gear on the highway....I find that it is great when it is very flat...and I mean very flat. If you are cruising on the highway and hit a hill.....you quickly get passed if you have the CC on. Gearing is way too high and the car can not maintain any speed on a grade. I have found this all the way up to 80 mph with CC on. Lot of down shifting. CC works fine and maintains speed when left in auto mode.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I did mention 8th gear, but I don't remember saying that I used it while also using CC.
Here in FL, despite what some may think we do have some serious hills. And, you're right, the IVT in 8th Gear doesn't handle hills very well at all. But there are also some long straitaways, that are as flat as a table top. It's on those roads that I really like to use the 8th Gear, and occasionally CC too.

Nothing new! There were cars with OverDrive over 60 years ago, and they never did handle hills very well.
OD was meant for cruising the 'flats' and not for hill climbing.

What's most amazing about it to me, is that the salesman never mentioned it. I wonder if they even know about it. ???

Next time I'm at my dealership, I'll ask around and see if anyone in Sales knows about the 8th Gear.

Cheers mate!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hit my 1 year back in April, around the time I clocked 30k on the odometer. The IVT is a little weird for me coming to a slow down with sport mode enabled. It lurches forward and then comes to an abrupt stop. I have to remind myself constantly to take it out of sport mode from a stop, otherwise the car has driven well.

The one time I tried sport mode, when I started on to an off ramp which required gradual slowing, the tranny downshifted and was revving higher than I would want. My previous Ford Escape used to do the same thing in sport mode.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did mention 8th gear, but I don't remember saying that I used it while also using CC.
Here in FL, despite what some may think we do have some serious hills. And, you're right, the IVT in 8th Gear doesn't handle hills very well at all. But there are also some long straitaways, that are as flat as a table top. It's on those roads that I really like to use the 8th Gear, and occasionally CC too.

Nothing new! There were cars with OverDrive over 60 years ago, and they never did handle hills very well.
OD was meant for cruising the 'flats' and not for hill climbing.

What's most amazing about it to me, is that the salesman never mentioned it. I wonder if they even know about it. ???

Next time I'm at my dealership, I'll ask around and see if anyone in Sales knows about the 8th Gear.

Cheers mate!
Well, my guess is no....My wife taught our salesman many things about the Soul during the buying process. He knew NOTHING about the car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The one time I tried sport mode, when I started on to an off ramp which required gradual slowing, the tranny downshifted and was revving higher than I would want. My previous Ford Escape used to do the same thing in sport mode.
That sounds about right. You'd think that the "intelligent" transmission would understand that you have applied the brake or that your foot is not on the accelerator. Oh well, I use it sparingly.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Love my Soul!
I have a 2018 Exclaim Turbo with just under 5000 miles and have had an oil change just once at 3000 miles. Even before COVID-19, I just wasn't driving that much anymore. Now, I ride my motorcycle for short trips and errands around town but I still like having a car. I truly just drive for pleasure. Come Fall, I'll do more driving due to the weather; I live in San Francisco. For the amount of driving I do, I wonder what type of schedule I should stick to as far as oil changes go.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had my Soul for a year now too. I've probably owned 20 other cars in my life, all of which were higher end cars than the Soul, but I like the Soul better than every one of them. It's a fun car, very happy with it, even though I still haven't read the manual and am unaware of many features..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like my 2020 Soul LX a lot better than my previous 2015 Corolla. I took a manual trans version for a test drive and decided that modern traffic is just too unforgiving to dick around with a manual trans. I am happy every day that I got the IVT. I am getting MUCH better fuel mileage in town than the EPA rating. I tend to "pulse and glide' and this little rascal coasts forever! Much peppier than the 'Rolla and much better sightlines, ingress, egress, utility. 7 months in and only 2800 miles. I'm not concerned about maintenance but took it down for an oil change at my dealer. I'm going to have all services done at the dealer because I had a fairly serious warranty issue with a previous Hyundai (it's a long boring story) and want to document all maintenance. Ever try to get yer money back at a Korean buffet?

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
815 Posts
I have a 2018 Exclaim Turbo with just under 5000 miles and have had an oil change just once at 3000 miles. Even before COVID-19, I just wasn't driving that much anymore. Now, I ride my motorcycle for short trips and errands around town but I still like having a car. I truly just drive for pleasure. Come Fall, I'll do more driving due to the weather; I live in San Francisco. For the amount of driving I do, I wonder what type of schedule I should stick to as far as oil changes go.
Retired city dweller here. My annual mileage has been around 3,000 miles a year (less the last 12 months). I change my oil once a year to stay within the warranty time limit. I use Mobil 1 synthetic. if I drove 5,000 miles a year i would still change annually using EP or AP for extended miles. It all depends on how many miles I drive a year and what oil I use, to determine how often I change oil (within the warranty parameters). If I was driving 15,000 miles a year, my choices would be 5 oil changes a year with mobil 1 or 3 changes a year with mobil 1 EP or AP. MAYBE twice a year with AP. Check your oil level every gas fill up.

George

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If I don't have anywhere that I NEED to go, I just go for the hell of it.
Like, Today I drove 59.5 miles, just for the fun of it, because I just love to drive my little Jem.
And she loves it too.
These cars are like BLOOD,,,,,,, if you don't keep it moving, it will CLOT!
I don't want my little Jem to CLOT, so I like to keep her moving, and she loves it too.

Tomorrow I'll be out again, to pick up an Rx at my local CVS drugstore. That will be a pretty short trip, but I may find a way to add on a few extra miles. lol

She's always the happiest, when she's running up against the REV limiter.

I Drive her, to keep her alive!

Cheers Mates!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts