Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I miss ... that I had with the 2015 ... is the styrofoam tray and the cover for it. The new one does not come with either of these. I also checked with KIA dealerships and was told that, at this present-time, those items are not available for the LX. I'm hoping that, at some point, KIA will begin marketing these items for the LX. I'm not at all interested in the rubber tray that I see online. I want a solid tray that fits in the "grooves"/guides that are already there. If push comes to shove, I'll likely end up making my own.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Nice work charlie! What did you line the bottom of the dividers with?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I made the thing modular on purpose, so that it’s lightweight to lift out, and modifiable if I need a wider section in the future. So the bottom is open, but I cut down some $5 “boot trays” I found at Big Lots. Boot tray as in what you set your muddy boots on before entering the house. Black plastic with an inch-high lip around it. Almost a perfect fit. I wanted the tray just to hold up the cover so I could roll a lawnmower in occasionally and it works perfectly for that. I found a 2012 tray for $35 about a 3 hour drive from me. I’m certain I could modify it to fit, but I didn’t like the plethora of small dividers. I modeled mine after the more recent year trays. Plus that $35 one didn’t include a cover.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
One thing I miss ... that I had with the 2015 ... is the styrofoam tray and the cover for it. The new one does not come with either of these. I also checked with KIA dealerships and was told that, at this present-time, those items are not available for the LX. I'm hoping that, at some point, KIA will begin marketing these items for the LX. I'm not at all interested in the rubber tray that I see online. I want a solid tray that fits in the "grooves"/guides that are already there. If push comes to shove, I'll likely end up making my own.
Your 2015 model must have been a higher grade to have had those features. There is no Styrofoam tray for the 2020 on any model, but the hard cover is called "dual level cargo board".

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish I had my dad’s old tools still...I’d be making hinged and carpeted plywood versions of the dual height trays and selling them for way less than the price of what the dealers are asking for the OEM ones. It would be a stupid simple job.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having been in the construction/remodeling business for over 20 years, I do have all the tools needed to make my own. However, I'm still working full-time and every other Saturday which doesn't leave a lot of time for something like this. I prefer to start and finish something rather than do it on a hit and miss basis over a period of time....which is likely how it would have to get done. But, as stated, once all the measurements and initial one was made, it would be a very simple process from there on out.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I wish I had my dad’s old tools still...I’d be making hinged and carpeted plywood versions of the dual height trays and selling them for way less than the price of what the dealers are asking for the OEM ones. It would be a stupid simple job.
.......remember it also has to be light too - not a plywood feature 😁

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why light? The plastic brackets for the tray can take plenty of weight...I’ve had a giant cooler loaded with ice and grub, plus a bunch of other stuff and haven’t heard a creak. You’re probably talking only a few pounds difference anyhow. For $20-30 in materials I think I’d take the weight gain over paying a crapload of money. I’m sure you could bond several sheets of foamcore together but I’d still doubt its stiff enough. You need something with a honeycomb structure inside or other form of corrugation to provide sufficient rigidity.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Why light? The plastic brackets for the tray can take plenty of weight...I’ve had a giant cooler loaded with ice and grub, plus a bunch of other stuff and haven’t heard a creak. You’re probably talking only a few pounds difference anyhow. For $20-30 in materials I think I’d take the weight gain over paying a crapload of money. I’m sure you could bond several sheets of foamcore together but I’d still doubt its stiff enough. You need something with a honeycomb structure inside or other form of corrugation to provide sufficient rigidity.
I was meaning light with strength, from a manufacturers perspective you have to be able to lift the board out and move it into it's two locations with ease (not all people have the same strength) as well as folding it in half. If it's your own you can make your own choice.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been thinking about making one, as well. I realize that the same panel that covers the spare tire also fits into the upper slot in the LX trim Souls, as well as some other trims. But, if the goal is to make a more level floor with the rear seat backs folded, it would be nice to have a strong shelf to make loading stuff into that space easier. The thin cover that comes with the car isn't strong at all. I haven't really thought about materials yet, though. It doesn't need to be able to hold really heavy stuff, but it needs to be pretty rigid with no support from below. A honeycomb-core plastic shelf would be ideal, but that material isn't commonly available for DIYers. A guy could use the existing cover as a pattern, though, whatever the material was.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I made a template and started to make a hinged plywood one but thought about how many times we used the one on our 2015 over 5 years, how well it worked, the cost spread over that 5 years, and how I'd rather work on my project car. Grit my teeth, crossed my eyes, and premierkiact (storefront on ebay) got one to me in 8 days order to front porch. At least I didn't have to buy a spare tire for the 2020!

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
I made a template and started to make a hinged plywood one but thought about how many times we used the one on our 2015 over 5 years, how well it worked, the cost spread over that 5 years, and how I'd rather work on my project car. Grit my teeth, crossed my eyes, and premierkiact (storefront on ebay) got one to me in 8 days order to front porch. At least I didn't have to buy a spare tire for the 2020!
The under floor cargo caddy on Gen2 is a great feature. I can see if they wanted to charge extra, you know, like floormats. But to simply not offer it on Gen3 is perplexing. But not as much as the missing grab handle that belongs in the hole they left for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The part number and description they gave me for the cargo area floor leveler is 8715 K0000 Board Assy-luggage. Said they would have to order it and the price was $316.13. I have seen that part online for less than $200 but I want to call and make sure that is the right part before I order it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The under floor cargo caddy on Gen2 is a great feature. I can see if they wanted to charge extra, you know, like floormats. But to simply not offer it on Gen3 is perplexing. But not as much as the missing grab handle that belongs in the hole they left for it.
This will forever haunt the 2020.
missing handle.JPG

·
Registered
32 Posts
The part number and description they gave me for the cargo area floor leveler is 8715 K0000 Board Assy-luggage. Said they would have to order it and the price was $316.13. I have seen that part online for less than $200 but I want to call and make sure that is the right part before I order it.
The part number I ordered and received from premierkiact is 85715 K0000. It was $150 and $15 shipping. They are a Kia dealer in Branford CT. Came priority mail and took 8 days from order to delivery. Fits our 2020 LX perfectly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The part number I ordered and received from premierkiact is 85715 K0000. It was $150 and $15 shipping. They are a Kia dealer in Branford CT. Came priority mail and took 8 days from order to delivery. Fits our 2020 LX perfectly.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
This will forever haunt the 2020.
View attachment 132700
Haha! You're right!

You are probably too young to remember the old commerical "Where's the Beef?"

I think a Kia competitor could make one saying "Where's the Grab Handle?"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Haha! You're right!

You are probably too young to remember the old commerical "Where's the Beef?"
View attachment 132701

I think a Kia competitor could make one saying "Where's the Grab Handle?"
I guess I am older than I seem.
I relate it more to listening to Ginsberg, in a coffee shop along the Willamette.
Talking about his need to fill emptiness.

In other words. I have enough holes to fill and no need for another ;)

But it won't go away :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
So you open the back and see the can of fix a flat stuff and cheesy pump?
Seems like a bad choice of things to leave out. I could easily live without a grab handle, but lack of a floor on top the spare tire I added in back would bug me every time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts