Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

241 - 244 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
We call it floating. saves on clutch, saves on leg, adds spunk.
I don't in my molten, mainly because the gates are staggered. That's one thing I would fix. I have a 5 speed so 6 gates, but the engineers put four up and two down. A sensible person would've split it straight.
I will say I don't pressure feel, that puts wear on the syncro, I float on pure timing.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
My dad was a truck driver, so i was taught both ways. Shifts a touch slower unless you manually rev match, saves on clutch.

You basically let the mechanics of the car tell you when it is ready to take the shift.

Reach shift rpm, let off gas and take out of gear at the same time, hold with minimal force at the gear you want, when the rpm of the engine and the trans line up,it will slip into gear, slip shifting is one if the teams for it.
Thanks k2. Your dad sounded like he knew alot about clutches & shifting. That's cool. Mine was more a "if you can't find it, grind it" kinda guy.

·
Registered
423 Posts
My dad was a truck driver, so i was taught both ways. Shifts a touch slower unless you manually rev match, saves on clutch.

You basically let the mechanics of the car tell you when it is ready to take the shift.

Reach shift rpm, let off gas and take out of gear at the same time, hold with minimal force at the gear you want, when the rpm of the engine and the trans line up,it will slip into gear, slip shifting is one if the teams for it.
Honestly, I'd rather save the synchros and add wear to the clutch. Any mismatch in speed will wear on the synchronizers, no smaller how slight. It's way easier to replace clutch parts than ripping apart a transmission when your gears start grinding.

241 - 244 of 244 Posts