Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
With the switch mod you just have to throw the switch back to normal and the cruise works like it always did. Sport for fun and normal for normal. Best of both worlds.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having this same issue on my 2016...anyone know if the part number is the same from the 2015? Can someone show a drawing or detailed instructions on how to connect the switch wire to wire 1 ?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
It is the same switch and all the info needed is in this tread. Pics and detailed info is here for the reading. Countless people are using this mod with happy results including myself.

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
My previous car, a 2012 Hyundai Accent, was the first car with that engine\tranny combo, and what i found to resolve the problem was to shift 1-2 at 3000 rpm minimum. When i test drove a Soul 1,6 MT last fall, i applied the same technique and didn't experience any hesitation. Remember 3 things:- 1st speed is a long ratio(compared to other cars), -the torque is limited at low rpm, -the 1,6 GDI engine likes to rev.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
With this mod you don't have to do anything but drive and even at three grand the lag is there but to a lesser degree. Try unplugging the white plug and take the car for a drive and all will become clear.

Mark

My previous car, a 2012 Hyundai Accent, was the first car with that engine\tranny combo, and what i found to resolve the problem was to shift 1-2 at 3000 rpm minimum. When i test drove a Soul 1,6 MT last fall, i applied the same technique and didn't experience any hesitation. Remember 3 things:- 1st speed is a long ratio(compared to other cars), -the torque is limited at low rpm, -the 1,6 GDI engine likes to rev.

·
Registered
88 Posts
With this mod you don't have to do anything but drive and even at three grand the lag is there but to a lesser degree. Try unplugging the white plug and take the car for a drive and all will become clear.

Mark
Sorry,I drive a 2.0L automatic...I don't have that problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Mark,

Thanks for helping out the community with this. I've also read through this thread several times and am still pretty confused. Is there any way you could summarize the whole process in one post, with parts/tools needed and somewhat detailed steps? I'm dying to make this mod and keep the cruise control I installed on my base 2015, but for a guy who's never soldered before, it's a bit daunting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #211 (Edited)
For those who wish to do the switch mod on the clutch pedal switch here is the procedure in a nutshell.

1: Order up a replacement switch for your current switch. Clutch Switch | Genuine Kia | 93840-B2100
You can use the stock switch but if you order a new one you can always put the stock unit back in if you like.

2: Remove the cover of the new switch and carefully drill out the metal bridge as shown.
The drilled opening is at 11:00 O-Clock. Take your time with this. You want to drill just enough to drill through the metal bridge and that is all.

image_14241403120324444.jpg

3: Solder a 16 or 18 gauge wire (about 3ft) to each leg of the contacts you just drilled and reinstall the cover after you drill a hole in the cover for the wires. Reinstall the clutch switch.

20.jpg

4: Install a toggle switch (I recommend the fuse cover location) and connect the clutch switch new wires to the new dash switch. A step drill will come in handy for drilling the fuse cover. Run the wires up out of the way to the fuse box.

Clutch-toggle.JPG

The dash switch can be found here 1 x AC 6A 250V 13A 125V SPST On/Off 2 Position Mini Round Boat Etc Rocker Switch

s-l500 (1).jpg

You will need some crimp connectors for the new dash switch or you can solder the wires on.Now the dash switch can be used to disable the shift lag issue or have the system run normally. For those with cruise control just flip the switch back to normal operation and the cruise system will work normally. This is a simple mod that requires a little know how but the results are well worth it to say the least.

Hope this helps,

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bumping this thread to ask if anyone has done this mod to a 2016 base with MT. Gotta think it works the same a for the earlier years.

TIA..........Ed Sievers in Denver

·
Registered
6 Posts
"They don't have a good cone filter in my opinion. For 15 bucks I would order the one I got as I did not need any adapters at all and it fit like a glove and it is a large filter.

Mark

Here is the link to the filter.

For 3 5" JDM Washable Air Dry Red Cone Filter Jeep Grand Cherokee GTR Maxima | eBay"

Mark, i am helping out my son with his 2014 1.6 stick. I ordered the switch to solve the lag. What has the cone filter done for you? Back in 2002 I upgraded a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon with cold air intake, free flow exhaust and ligher wheel pulleys' It transformed the car and made it much better for driving at altitude here in Denver.

I remember putting a bigger throttle body in a 1980 Rabbit manual and go much better throttle response. Am curious if you noticed significantly better throttle response with the filter. LewB

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I snipped pin 1 (farthest from driver) but the car wouldn't start. Put the old switch back in and the car fired right up. Any suggestions?
Car will drive with the plug uninstalled. I tested this before I ordered the replacement switch to modify.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found a better remedy to fix the lag issue and still lets you use cruise control at the same time. I just put the switch fingers on the outside of the post on the side closer to the engine, as shown in the pic, problem solved. I personally like this mod better because I use cruise all the time. basically it gives the ecm a earlyer signal and it its enough to eliminate the lag but still works to start the car and engage and disengage the cruise. Oh and also it won't void the warranty. Been about a week now and It works well and I dont get the traction control light anymore that I got when I did the switch mod.
Thanks, that was the easiest mode I have ever done on a car. I ordered the clutch switch for my son's 2014 Soul,broke off the 1st pin, and contorted my 70 year old, arthritic body to get at the clutch. Damn, I couldn't break the bolts loose with a 7mm socket wrench. I tried this mode and it took 10 seconds (plus the time to get in and out of position). It drives soooo much better. It really is a smooth tranny, especially for an econobox. Now I, and I hope he, will really enjoy driving it.

How the heck did you figure out this solution? Has anyone found a downside to this approach? Lew

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Thanks, that was the easiest mode I have ever done on a car. I ordered the clutch switch for my son's 2014 Soul,broke off the 1st pin, and contorted my 70 year old, arthritic body to get at the clutch. Damn, I couldn't break the bolts loose with a 7mm socket wrench. I tried this mode and it took 10 seconds (plus the time to get in and out of position). It drives soooo much better. It really is a smooth tranny, especially for an econobox. Now I, and I hope he, will really enjoy driving it.

How the heck did you figure out this solution? Has anyone found a downside to this approach? Lew
Some other cars had this type of issue so I looked into the Soul and found a way to defeat the lag. Glad it worked out for you and I have never looked back with this mod.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
I test drove a 2014 Soul Base Manual and noticed the shift lag, and it sucked.

Guys who have tried this "fix" would you say it is worth buying a Manual Soul and planning this mod immediately, or would you recommend steering clear of the Manual because of this issue? I'm trying to decide between buying a Soul Base MT (and adding cruise, armrest, keyless entry, and clutch switch mod) OR just buying a Soul+ AT and avoiding all of those mods (that really shouldnt be necesary at all if kia actually cared about Manual drivers). Also it should be noted I generally prefer manual transmissions, but I also don't like the idea of buying a car that will only drive the way i want when i mod it.

On a test drive, if they let me take the car out by myself, could I quickly pop the connector off the switch and test it out?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #219 (Edited)
I only wanted the car if it had a stick and I would do it again in a heartbeat. With the switch you can still use cruise control on trips so the mod is almost perfect. The auto Soul is a great car to be sure but IMHO the stick is far more fun to drive.

Mark

PS: If they will let you unplug the clutch swich then go for it. The difference is night and day.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
I'm with Mark on this, I only bought the Soul because of the MT. Either you see the beauty of stick or it doesn't really matter to you. I am actually quite happy with the Soul MT. Overall it opens up great contol over the engines power.

I have not done the mod. I have adjusted to the "lag" as best I can by shifting from 1st to 2nd early (almost treating 1st as a compound gear just to get going) & not trying to wind out the rpms or, if I do, basically delay engaging 2nd for a 3-count while the lag has it's way with the engine.

For me the great wind out is from 3rd to 4th blasting up the freeway onramps. It's pretty dang nice.

If I didn't care about the ride height of the Soul, I'd probably look seriously at the new Civic Sport Hatch MT. Honda does the stick right & really with the back seats folded down you get alot of space.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts