Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014-2016 manual transmission hesitation/lag when shifting FIX!

I recently purchased a 2015 Soul 1.6L with the manual transmission and have experienced the power lag going from 1st into 2nd. After much research and testing myself found that the Clutch switch tells the ECM that a shift is occurring and slows down the rpm drops and slows up the oncoming power once the shift is made. This is to give a smoother feel to the shifting and to be a little more fuel conserving. If you want to feel what these cars 2014-2015 are like without the ECM influence then start the car in neutral and reach under the dash and on the right side of the clutch assembly you with find the clutch switch/Ign interlock and unplug it by squeezing it at the top left/right and unplug the unit. Now take the car for spin. It will act now just like a reg manual transmission with no hesitation or lag and is much more fun to drive. I am installing a on/off switch in the car so I can have it in stock or sport mode. All that is needed to to tap in a switch on one wire on the plug for the clutch switch. The pics below show the pin outs of the plug. Having the switch in sport mode will not have the shift light show up on the gauges and cruise control will not work but on the 1.6L 2014 -2015 MT Soul you don't have cruise anyway. The wire you install a switch into it the #1 wire. This mod really does make the 1.6L MT Soul a lot more fun to drive and much more peppy. Will keep you updatedMark spsch4001n (1).gif spsch4110n.gif spsch4101n.gif $_12.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
exactly what i was experiencing too.. i even posted a thread asking about it.. lol. didn't see this thread. if it works good unplugged, i will just keep it unplugged.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
exactly what i was experiencing too.. i even posted a thread asking about it.. lol. didn't see this thread. if it works good unplugged, i will just keep it unplugged.
Problem is you won't be able to start the car with it unplugged as it is two switches.

Mark

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It may end up you need to use a crimp tap connector and toggle switch for wires one and three on the plug wires. According to the diagram the clutch switch is normally closed and then opened when the clutch is depressed. If you just cut in a toggle onto wire #1 the system will think the clutch pedal remains depressed. The effect may be the same but I can't test this out for another two weeks as I am out in the field on a job project. According to the diagram #3 wire goes to ground. Remember the diagram is on the clutch switch side so the wiring plug will mate to that so use the right wires.Two crimp tap connectors and a toggle will tell the tale.

Mark

page2c.jpg

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Interesting - I'm curious where you read this, or how you figured this out (other than just doing it) - is there something in a TSB or in the manual? Of course, with a properly calibrated "foot", you can keep the RPMs higher between shifts :) . Still, this is good information to toss around in my head.

FWIW, you can have factory cruise control with a base manual 1.6. There's several threads on it. On the original model all you need is a steering wheel, and I can't remember what you need on the newer model.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I read everything I could find on this type system and not just Hyundai/Kia systems and also I happen to have an Engineering background and like to figure out alternatives.. The Veloster site was a big help and they found basically the same fix but since they use two separate switches on the clutch pedal, One for the ignition interlock and the other for the clutch switch and they the same lag issue we do. They just unplug the the upper black plug to disconnect the computer from the clutch switch. The 2014-2015 Base soul utilizes a single double acting switch, One normally open for the ignition interlock and the clutch switch which is normally closed. If one wanted to use a cruise control system they would just put the switch in the eco or off position. The diagrams were the hardest things to find and answered a lot of questions. No real rocket science here just had to figure out what they were doing.

Hope this helps,

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
i wonder if messing with this will void the warranty if anything should go wrong with the electrical system... my 2015 soul only got 1200 miles on it. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
It may end up you need to use a crimp tap connector and toggle switch for wires one and three on the plug wires. According to the diagram the clutch switch is normally closed and then opened when the clutch is depressed. If you just cut in a toggle onto wire #1 the system will think the clutch pedal remains depressed. The effect may be the same but I can't test this out for another two weeks as I am out in the field on a job project. According to the diagram #3 wire goes to ground. Remember the diagram is on the clutch switch side so the wiring plug will mate to that so use the right wires.Two crimp tap connectors and a toggle will tell the tale.

Mark

View attachment 54593
Just think out loud here, if the clutch switch is normally closed when the clutch peddle is not depressed and open when the clutch peddle is depresses, as in starting and shifting and by starting the motor and putting trans in neutral than unplugging the switch you get better performance, but you need to plug back in so you can start the motor once again due to the ignition interlock is opposite of clutch, as in clutch peddle up, ignition switch open, clutch peddle down, ignition switch closed so motor will start, would not you only have to disable the #1 wire, such as cutting it or disconnection it from the switch so the clutch switch would be than in the open mode at all times and the motor would start?
By disabling only the #1 wire shown in the diagram above.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes but one thing I have not tested is how the performance is if the system always thinks the clutch has not been depressed and remains in the closed condition as opposed to the open condition. The result may very well be the same as you will not be cycling the system as it would normally have done. If you wish to run it in the open condition you just need to cut a new switch into wire #1. If you wish to run in the closed condition then use tap wires and a switch for wires #1 and #3 and that way when the new switch will take the place of the clutch switch at rest unpressed.

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
gonna give this a shot once i am done moving... haven't had time to do anything lately. stupid kia. When you really need to accelerate quickly to avoid danger, you can't. That slight pause can potentially mean the difference between getting away and getting hit. That few mpg's (if any) saved is not worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried to install this last night and was unable to get to the plug to tap into wires 1 and 3 as I am 6ft 300lbs and no contortionist. Ideally I could find a male to female extension that I could tap into then install between the switch and plug (anyone know if something like this exists and where I can get it?). I took off the switch to look at it and I realized that wire number 1 is closest to the engine not closest to the driver (or am I wrong about this?). if I can't find an extension I am going to have to find a way to modify the switch itself to connect the wires. Perhaps cut away one side of the connection of the switch and solder directly to the base of connections there? I tried opening the switch itself and soldering directly to the flat metal plates inside but this didn't work. Any ideas without taking apart the dash lol?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I kinda figured. I'm guessing I will need to modify the switch itself then or build my own extension. I'll let you know what I figure out.

thanks for figuring this all out. so I am correct about number 1 being closest to the engine right?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would have to see the plug switch side to confirm that with the diagram. The weather has been stopping me from getting into it further. Please keep us updated.

Mark

1 - 20 of 244 Posts