Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Old Soul Man seeking more help... removal of side mirror covers

19K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Soul15 
#1 ·
Anyone out there know how to remove the side mirror covers? any help appreciated. I want to get them hydro dipped in car bon fiber. Thanks any diagrams?

Vehicle Car Automotive side-view mirror Family car Rear-view mirror

See less See more
#5 ·
It will probably hold well even with that clip broken, so I would hold off on ordering the replacement, which will probably cost you around $40 with tax and shipping. Looks great with fiber carbon. Is this the 4D wrap? I ordered some to wrap the roof and perhaps the hood and maybe place some on the wheels.

#9 ·
"integrated turn signal aftermarket mirror cover copy" - boy, that's a mouthfull.

They sell chrome covers on e-bay for about $70. If you want carbon fiber, I think it's just too easy to wrap it yourself. Once you heat up the film, it will take the shape of the cover with no problems.

#11 · (Edited)
For those who have to do this:
To get the glass off, you'll need to pull the mirror to one side, then slide a screwdriver directly behind the glass. This will allow you to pry off the little clips.

After that, you'll need to remove the mirror motor (3 screws), and turn it over and remove the plug. Then remove it.

After that, there are basically 4 big pieces (at least on a non heat non blinker one): base, upper cover, lower cover, innter trim ring.

There are upper and lower double clips on the diagonals that hold the inner trim ring onto the base. you'll need something like a stiff wire or small screwdriver to keep these clips from biting. There are a couple of other small clips near the hinge that you'll need to deal with as well.

Once you get the inner trim ring off, you can push the upper cover clips back.

I couldn't get this done cleanly -- I suspect that this is an 'assemble only' part.

#12 ·
For those who have to do this:
To get the glass off, you'll need to pull the mirror to one side, then slide a screwdriver directly behind the glass. This will allow you to pry off the little clips.

After that, you'll need to remove the mirror motor (3 screws), and turn it over and remove the plug. Then remove it.

After that, there are basically 4 big pieces (at least on a non heat non blinker one): base, upper cover, lower cover, innter trim ring.

There are upper and lower double clips on the diagonals that hold the inner trim ring onto the base. you'll need something like a stiff wire or small screwdriver to keep these clips from biting. There are a couple of other small clips near the hinge that you'll need to deal with as well.

Once you get the inner trim ring off, you can push the upper cover clips back.

I couldn't get this done cleanly -- I suspect that this is an 'assemble only' part.
Ok -- I did this a second time because the new mirror I bought had the wrong cover on it.

1) Pivot the mirror.
2) Remove glass.
3) Remove screw in upper right corner.

I found it easier to remove the motor for the mirror:
Remove 3 silver screws
Remove connector on back by turning the motor over and unclipping one side then yanking connector.

Now remove 3 remaining black screws.

Now you need to remove the inner trim ring -- this is damn hard
1) work from the inside lower section -- there's a hidden clip (exposed when you pivot) that you can depress. Work a guitar pick in here. and pull apart.
2) Now continue around the bottom trying to release the two clips at the bottom.
3) you may be able to remove the inside clip on the mirror cover (near the attachment point
4) release the two big clips holding the inner trim ring to the main 'backbone' by sliding wires/screwdrivers in there.
5) try to pull the whole thing apart from the outside -- there's still a clip near the car mirror joint (pointy end) that I could't figure out how to release.
6) Once you have the inner trim ring off, you can start releasing the mirror cover clips. There's one on the outside that is pretty easy to get to, and you can do the bottom ones easily.
7) Main clip is in the upper left -- you have to release both sides of it, and it will break easily. A pair of pliers/tweezers with a thin screwdriver worked for me. you'll have to move the mirror holder around a bit.

You'll need good light, lots of guitar picks, etc.

Note: if you already have a mirror cover, you can crack the old one off and save yourself a lot of grief.

Overall: this is probably not worth your time and danger of breakage..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.