Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having only recently bought the '14 Soul and reading that some owners have had problems with metal shavings in the motor, I sent an oil sample to be analyzed and the results showed no significant particles in this 3000 mile sample. Not a lot of milage but I wanted to get an initial report to establish condition of the motor. I had changed the oil/filter immediately after I got it, using Penn Plat synthetic and used the same for the last change. From now on I plan on changing every 5000 miles. During that short run of 3K miles it did not require any oil to be added.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Good work ulflyer!

What is the total miles on your 2014 Soul?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
5,000 is the perfect timing of the oil change, also its perfect time to do a tire rotation... Synchronise 10, 15, 20, ect.

Note: I use synthetic... I also keep my car the full Warranty (10 years)(buy it with the FULL LOAD) so I have no regrets for extra long term depreciated Extras...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actually ran an oil analysis on my 2015 ! as well.. The oil had been ran for 7,300 miles and was previously changed at the Kia dealership, so whatever oil they use is what it had. The car had 52,000 miles on it. Blackstone said no issues with mine, either, and did not recommend using shorter intervals. I switched to fully synthetic now and will keep the 7500 interval and do an analysis regularly.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Having only recently bought the '14 Soul and reading that some owners have had problems with metal shavings in the motor, I sent an oil sample to be analyzed and the results showed no significant particles in this 3000 mile sample. Not a lot of milage but I wanted to get an initial report to establish condition of the motor. I had changed the oil/filter immediately after I got it, using Penn Plat synthetic and used the same for the last change. From now on I plan on changing every 5000 miles. During that short run of 3K miles it did not require any oil to be added.
Blackstone Labs? Care to scan and post the report? :)

Love that you have a Slingshot. Not my style, but damn fun to drive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blackstone Labs? Care to scan and post the report? :)

Love that you have a Slingshot. Not my style, but damn fun to drive.
Phunky: I would be glad to post it if I could , but simply don't have the equipment (or know how) to do that. Yeah, I like the Slingshot, it being my second one. They have a pretty solid 2.4 GM motor. Just got in from a 130 ride this morn with a buddy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Phunky: I would be glad to post it if I could , but simply don't have the equipment (or know how) to do that. Yeah, I like the Slingshot, it being my second one. They have a pretty solid 2.4 GM motor. Just got in from a 130 ride this morn with a buddy.
Gotcha. I guess I've been with a scanner so long it feels normal. :)
I liked the way the Slingshot drove- just didn't like the fact that it was larger than my CRX. I've had a reverse trike design in my head for about a decade that I'd like to build, but now I'm just pissed that Polaris and a few other companies have come to market since then. :(
Here is my Blackstone report.
Tiny- can't see anything?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Too small to read ul. Looks more like a thumbnail.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have this thread set for replies to be sent to my email and your Oil report came thru in normal size, easy to read! Looked super good for 7300 miles on the oil. Nice to see good reports on these engines. Thanks.

PS: what kind of oil did you use?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I should note that this was on conventional, not synthetic, oil. Changed at the Kia Dealership at around 45,000. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever that the Kia recommended 7500 OCI should not be followed.

I have since switched to synthetic. I plan to analyze every change since these engines have a bit of a reputation on this forum and the FB group for sudden consumption and early failure and no one seems to understand exactly why.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
More Oil Information

Sample of Kia piston. He explains more details of conventional vs synthetics.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't subscribe to the notion that you need to use synthetic and premium gas to keep pistons clean. No matter what is used, the pistons will eventually carbon up, ours and others with Direct Injection even quicker. I've been reading BITOG forum for years and what I get is that today's conventional is high rated oil and easily good for 5K or more. Much of what is called "synthetic" in the States is highly processed crude anyway. European oils, on other hand, have more man made oils, thus are real synthetic. Nevertheless, I've mostly used "synthetic" for last 40 years or so. On my '12 Accord, with 110K, I run it till the motor minder tells me its down to 15%, thats usually 8-9K miles on the oil. The KIA tho, doesn't seem to have that kind of record what with the company calling for no longer than 7500miles at best.

I noticed yesterday in Walmart that Quaker State Syn, 5W-20, was $17.95. QS has gained a good rep among users on BITOG forum. I've been using it in my Slingshot, and will test it on the KIA the next time.

Kia dealers in my area use Semi-synthetic and so does the local Honda dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What I'm most curious about is why there are a fair number of properly maintained 2.0L 2G Souls that go for 50, 70, 90k miles and suddenly start burning huge amounts of oil. Sometimes owners catch this before catastrophic failure, sometimes not. But it seems to have rapid onset. So I check my Soul's oil level every 2 weeks. So far I have not noticed anything significant.

I am replacing the PCV valve for preventative maintenance at next oil change approx 60k miles. I am also switching from 5W-20 full synthetic to 5W-30, perfectly acceptable here in my Georgia climate. The fuel economy sucks anyway (average is 23mpg over the past 11,000 miles) so I'm not concerned if a little added viscosity makes much difference there.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
What I'm most curious about is why there are a fair number of properly maintained 2.0L 2G Souls that go for 50, 70, 90k miles and suddenly start burning huge amounts of oil. Sometimes owners catch this before catastrophic failure, sometimes not. But it seems to have rapid onset. So I check my Soul's oil level every 2 weeks. So far I have not noticed anything significant.

I am replacing the PCV valve for preventative maintenance at next oil change approx 60k miles. I am also switching from 5W-20 full synthetic to 5W-30, perfectly acceptable here in my Georgia climate. The fuel economy sucks anyway (average is 23mpg over the past 11,000 miles) so I'm not concerned if a little added viscosity makes much difference there.
Normally those start burning oil due to piston wear and as the video suggested oils that don't have higher levels of detergents and flash points.

Among a host of other factors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Sounds reasonable to me. My manual says 5-20, 5-30, and 10-30 is acceptable in most climates, certainly in mine (NC) and yours. I'll prob do the same after I get another couple of changes done, prob be next year by then as I drive the Slingshot a lot in nice wx. It does seem unusual to me for these motors to start burning oil with so few miles. I've had Nissan's, Toyota's and a Honda with well over 120K and none took but very little between changes...and I run the changes for much longer periods than Kia calls for. I'm wondering if perhaps there are some internal parts that began shedding minute amounts of metal not caught by the oil filter that eventually causes the piston rings to wear?
My mileage seems to be around 27 avg. But dang it, i'm enjoying this car more than anything Ive had for long time. It really suits me. LOL

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Interesting hypotheses ul. Is it possible the very oil filter Kia strongly recommends we use is not doing it's job?

Just a reminder it's not just Kia that has suffered from oil burning, it is an industry wide problem that also effects the 2 darling companies, Toyota & Honda as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
ulflyer
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing