Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-I have a 2020 soul with 4100 miles on it-dealer said they recommend the first oil change about 3000- I haven’t been driving much over the last 7 months- I checked it today and I’m showing about half quart down- is that unusual with so few miles-I’m just curious I’ve had Toyota’s go longer without burning any-could simply be oil put in at factory is not the best etc-cars been great so far -thanks

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
73 Posts
A little oil consumption for the first few thousand miles is not uncommon. It has to do with the rings not being fully seated. It should go away by 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hard to tell - it may have not been full when you bought it. I'm assuming you bought it new, and that it has 4,100 miles on the original oil. If so, I (personally) would have it changed then get on the 12-month/7,500-mile schedule. You will get a 50/50 split on opinions whether to do an early break-in oil change.

If you had it changed at 3,000 and it has already used 1/2 quart just 1,100 miles later, I would be concerned. Again, did they fill it to "Full" at 3,000 miles? I've had dealerships overfill by 1-1/2 quarts, so it's not impossible to think they underfilled yours by 1/2 quart.

Once it is changed, make sure it is right on the "Full" mark of the dipstick and monitor it from there. It's normal for engines to use some oil. For me, I would be OK as long as I don't have to add more than 1 quart between changes.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,445 Posts
Hi-I have a 2020 soul with 4100 miles on it-dealer said they recommend the first oil change about 3000- I haven’t been driving much over the last 7 months- I checked it today and I’m showing about half quart down- is that unusual with so few miles-I’m just curious I’ve had Toyota’s go longer without burning any-could simply be oil put in at factory is not the best etc-cars been great so far -thanks
Is this the first time you checked it? There's every chance that it was delivered to you 1/2 quart low.

Reactions: pnoman

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I once heard a guy say, "I'm going to break it in nice and slow, so I don't hurt it".
What an ignorant A33H0l3!!!
The only way to seat the rings in a new engine, is to work the engine hard enough to force the rings out against the cylinder walls. Driving SLOW, just won't do it.
What that WILL do is fail to seat the rings and cause the engine to use oil.
A wise old sage once said, "a word to the wise is sufficient".

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is yours equipped with the 1.6 engine? If so, is this your first turbo engine experience?
Was that the first time you checked the oil dipstick?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...
A little oil consumption for the first few thousand miles is not uncommon. It has to do with the rings not being fully seated. It should go away by 7,500 miles.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
198 Posts
My wife and I have-had 10 new vehicles since 1970. Not a single one used any oil in the first 7500 miles.

You don't have to answer my questions ajh. If you cared about your vehicle a plum-nickel, you would have answered those questions and not waited 4100 miles to check your oil dipstick.

Good luck to your 2020 Soul. My wife loves her's.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is yours equipped with the 1.6 engine? If so, is this your first turbo engine experience?
Was that the first time you checked the oil dipstick?
I had a 1988 dodge conquest tsi that used a LOT of oil, I attrib it to the turbo, and the black soot above the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I had the engine in my 1966 Olds Toronado rebuilt, and they put in Perfect Circle Chrome rings.
That car burned oil so fast I bought it by the case. I took a little run from Galesburg, Ill, to Prince Edward Island and used over a case of oil.
On returning home, I asked the service manager at the Olds garage where the engine rebuild was done, "What do I have to do to seat those #$%^ rings?". He responded, "All out acceleration from zero to as fast as you can go, road and traffic permitting". "only under heavy acceleration will the rings be forced out against the cylinder walls with enough force to get them to 'Seat'. "
Then I left for a trip to Colorado (Rocky Mountains), and I didn't spare the horses!!!
Finally after driving up and down the mountains, I got those dang rings to seat.
So I learned my lesson, about what it takes to seat rings in an engine. Driving slow, just don't get it.

My little 2.0L four-banger hits the rev limiter at least once a day, and she uses NO oil at all.
And, her over all performance is Outstanding!

Cheers mates!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and I have-had 10 new vehicles since 1970. Not a single one used any oil in the first 7500 miles.

You don't have to answer my questions ajh. If you cared about your vehicle a plum-nickel, you would have answered those questions and not waited 4100 miles to check your oil dipstick.

First of all -a little attitude don’t you think.

First your response has a bit of attitude don’t you think? Also if you read what I wrote I didn’t say it was the first time I checked it-so that is your assumption based on what I don’t know-also if you had a plum nickel of sense you would see there are other questions about oil use- so it obviously has been a concern for others in the past as well-

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the engine in my 1966 Olds Toronado rebuilt, and they put in Perfect Circle Chrome rings.
That car burned oil so fast I bought it by the case. I took a little run from Galesburg, Ill, to Prince Edward Island and used over a case of oil.
On returning home, I asked the service manager at the Olds garage where the engine rebuild was done, "What do I have to do to seat those #$%^ rings?". He responded, "All out acceleration from zero to as fast as you can go, road and traffic permitting". "only under heavy acceleration will the rings be forced out against the cylinder walls with enough force to get them to 'Seat'. "
Then I left for a trip to Colorado (Rocky Mountains), and I didn't spare the horses!!!
Finally after driving up and down the mountains, I got those dang rings to seat.
So I learned my lesson, about what it takes to seat rings in an engine. Driving slow, just don't get it.

My little 2.0L four-banger hits the rev limiter at least once a day, and she uses NO oil at all.

Cheers mates!
Live, laugh and love, I like that rev limiter lifestyle!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My oil changes have been at no charge at the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul Base Auto
30 Posts
So, I received a document from Kia Motors Inc recently that stated that under Extreme driving (stop and go traffic) oil should be changed every 6 months/5000 miles. Under light conditions (85%+ Highway) 12 months/7500 miles. It also stated that I should keep said document in the car 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
49 Posts
Hey 3 pedals, I've never driver a 6-speed, used to love to get up to speed (hwy) by taching out 2nd, on a 5-speed, reaching 60+. Do you know what speed red line is in 2nd?

·
Registered
25 Posts
2019 1.6 Turbo......24K miles so far. Used about maybe a couple ounces of oil first couple oil changes. I've been using 10-30 in it. It has not used a drop since. In my opinion the 5-20 or 5-30 "water" they recomend is just not getting the job done in these engines. As far as "break in" in an automobile engine in 2020? With modern machining methods, diamond boring and honing tools, and very low micro-inch finishes, piston rings don't have to do much if any 'seating' these days. Normal driving for a few hundred miles is plenty sufficient to run-in cylinder and bearing surfaces. In 1960-1990, maybe not so much. With a rebuild job from a local garage or speed shop? Maybe more break in time would be needed as well, but not in an engine produced from a major auto producer such as KIA.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,445 Posts
So, I received a document from Kia Motors Inc recently that stated that under Extreme driving (stop and go traffic) oil should be changed every 6 months/5000 miles. Under light conditions (85%+ Highway) 12 months/7500 miles. It also stated that I should keep said document in the car 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yes, we all received the same letter. There is a thread on this topic if you'd like to explore other members comments. Just use the Advanced Search function, located to the upper right of your screen behind the 3 vertical dots.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
"Yes, we all received the same letter. "
OH? What letter? I dinnot git no stinkin' letter!
You don't even have a 2020 Soul, so why would you get a letter concerning a 2020 Soul.
Or should your response be more proper for the Gen-2 forum? I dunno, , , something just ain't right.

Regardless of any such 'Letter', my dealer is more than willing to change my oil and filter and give my car a Bumper to Bumper inspection, and a car wash, every 3000 miles, and a free Tire Rotation every 6000 miles.
And since I average about 1000 miles per month, my dealer will see my smiling face about every three months.
:cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
"Yes, we all received the same letter. "
OH? What letter? I dinnot git no stinkin' letter!
You don't even have a 2020 Soul, so why would you get a letter concerning a 2020 Soul.
Or should your response be more proper for the Gen-2 forum? I dunno, , , something just ain't right.

Regardless of any such 'Letter', my dealer is more than willing to change my oil and filter and give my car a Bumper to Bumper inspection, and a car wash, every 3000 miles, and a free Tire Rotation every 6000 miles.
And since I average about 1000 miles per month, my dealer will see my smiling face about every three months.
:cool:
Could you email me copy of said letter, I really did not get a letter.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts

Cheers mates!
Hi FLH...since you have the 2020 model, is there a way to overide the isg system ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts