Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who here hates the new plastic oil pan / filter cover thats under the 14+ Soul? It's all great that it protects the oil pan now BUT every dang time I take it to get an oil change, theres oil all over that pan from draining the oil and not only does it collect dirt later but runs all over my garage floor. The techs never spray and clean up their mess that runs down on that cover. And since there are just 2 little doors that open on that cover now, it's hard to even see if you have a drain plug leak or filter leak.

This is a Kia dealer I take it to and this happens EVERYTIME I go. Doesn't matter if I complain, send in surveys.. etc. Once I had them redo my dads Kia THREE times!! They were so pissed off that they had to redo that oil change over and over from drain plugs leaks to overfilling it.

It's to the point since it's not a lease that i'm about to take that cover OFF and leave it OFF. All it does is catch oil and collect it.

My 13 Soul did not have this over and I loved it. I could see exactly any oil leaks if any and everything was clean.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a new Chevy blazer S10 many years ago and it had the pan only made from aluminum and as it was rated off road it was supposed to protect things. I think the Souls are for air flow from what I have read and to help with MPG. I had similar issues with the S10 and IMO it did more damage in my case than it helped as I didn’t do hardly any off road driving where I would crash into things. I took it off and never looked back. I have a new 2014! As well and plan on doing my own service and if its half as bad as what you say I will have it leaning against the garage wall.

·
Registered
2014 KIA SOUL Plus
166 Posts
Spill NO OIL....

Thanks for the info. I am ready for my first free dealer oil change, but I am not ready to have my clean splash guard dripping with spilled oil.
It is easy enough to take off, see this thread:
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/29-how-diy/43729-how-remove-splash-guard-under-motor-w-photos.html
Once you have removed it, it is not so tough. I used 2 by 4's to lift the front and I was able to reach the back 3 bolts.
On the garage wall until they are done with their 'service'.
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/attach...-under-motor-w-photos-2015-05-17-17.06.30.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for posting the DIY tips. It looks like a pretty easy removal 3 or 4 times a year if you have a good ramp or pit setup. I wouldn’t worry a bit about driving around all summer with it missing, but it looks like a good idea for winter months with the salt and slush.

It’s my understanding they added it starting in 2014 and the 2013’s didn’t have it. Is that correct?

Is there any official word from Kia as to why they added the cover? Was it to cut down on drag? I find it hard to believe it would do that much good on a car that’s shaped like a box and traveling at relatively slow speeds. Those of you that have or had the older models without the cover is it something you wished you had? Are there areas under there that are problem spots for catching mud and or slush and the cover would help protect? Those of you with the cover do you think its strong enough to really protect the pan, filter and whatever else hangs down if you did run over something?

There is also the age old question with things that cover things up as to do they do more harm than good? We drive a fair amount of dirt roads and they spray them with salt brine in the summer to keep the dust down. When I was a kid farmers and home owners would all use used oil to mist the dirt roads and that if anything helped keep things from rusting the salt has the opposite result. What I find the mud, dust and salt works its way into every hiding place it can find and starts making rust. The only thing that seems to work is frequent washing of the bottom of your cars and these cover things trap stuff and make it hard to clean.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,168 Posts
your right it started with the 2014 models, don't know why it was added, but I wish I had it on my 2012 sure would keep the engine compartment more clean and stop a lot of spray being forced up into that area. But you have the choice to remove it if you wish. Also there is further covers on each side of the converter that were added further back on each side that was also not on the pre 2013 models. I would think it would be to smooth out the air flow under the vehicle to improved mileage - even if its just a portion of gallon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Those of you that have left it on to change the oil just how hard is it to get the filter off, and drain the oil without making a mess? I know the service tech’s won’t be doing any fancy messing around they will pull the plug and let the oil fly and put the catch pan wherever the most oil is coming out. as an individual and not being on the clock I wonder if it could be done neater?

I won’t know I guess until I do it both ways. I’m leaning to leaving it on, or taking it on and off unless I find it a real pain doing both.

Thanks for posting the photos.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I always change my own oil and filter and I'm just tickled silly that I don't have that obnoxious plastic shield.

I can ramp my car, slide under and change my oil and filter in about ten minutes and not make any mess at all, except sometimes on me. lol

I've been driving cars without those silly shields for over 50 years, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with them now.
Ya jus gotta luv the 2013.

Cheers Mates and Happy Holidays!

:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was talking to a mechanic tonight who is a friend and asked him what he thought of these plastic covers and he said everyone is going to them and he said for him with it on a lift its no problem taking them off and putting them back. He also said after a couple years the plastic breaks or the car looses the clips and the owner has them hooked up with coat hanger wire and he said then it becomes a pain. He also said at some point age wise they start disappearing.

It looks like they had a winner on the 2013’s for the DIY oil changers everything is right there. I wonder why they changed the plug from the front of the pan to the back?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong it looks like you can drop the oil pan on this car without touching a thing?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It looks like they had a winner on the 2013’s for the DIY oil changers everything is right there. I wonder why they changed the plug from the front of the pan to the back?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong it looks like you can drop the oil pan on this car without touching a thing?
The oil plug on the 2.0 has always been on the back , Techno has the 1.6 .

These covers were added to the 2014 , in the name of smoothing out airflow under the car .

I'm glad mine has the shield , ya jus gotta luv the 2014 .

·
Registered
127 Posts
The oil plug on the 2.0 has always been on the back , Techno has the 1.6 .

These covers were added to the 2014 , in the name of smoothing out airflow under the car .

I'm glad mine has the shield , ya jus gotta luv the 2014 .
Ok thanks. With the plug in the back I would think you would get a better complete drain if you have the front up on blocks or ramps. That might be a plus for me as I will need to get the front up if I’m going to take the cover off at oil change time. I don’t have a lift.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
All I know it's a good thing I was parked in the garage with an easy to clean floor VS the driveway. I had a stream of oil and multiple drips on the garage floor after the dealer. Had to take both doors off the cover, wipe them down and wipe what I could around the holes. Then since I didn't have ramps, I had to take a mirror so I could see if the drain plug was leaking ( it was not ). There was a drop of oil left of the oil filter though.

I've had free oil changes is why I go to the dealer. That and i'm half afraid to void warranties. Theres really no proof that you changed the oil yourself even though you have a receipt that you bought the oil. Who says you really changed it? I'm just not going to chance it. Engines are expensive.

I also change it at 5K miles or 6 months, period.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Six months? That alone will void your warranty, if your dealer declares that you are a Severe Conditions driver.
Most places in the US do qualify as Severe Conditions. My own dealer's Service Manager told me that they consider all Florida as Severe Conditions, because of the sand and salt.
Here are the conditions that constitute Severe Driving:

WARNING! You may qualify as a Severe Conditions driver if any of the following conditions apply to you.

This post is not meant to intimidate anyone, but to just Inform.

Happy Holidays Everyone

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Six months? That alone will void your warranty, if your dealer declares that you are a Severe Conditions driver.
Most places in the US do qualify as Severe Conditions. My own dealer's Service Manager told me that they consider all Florida as Severe Conditions, because of the sand and salt.

WARNING! You may qualify as a Severe Conditions driver if any of the following conditions apply to you.

Happy Holidays Everyone

Again, spreading wrong information. There was a technical service bulletin from Kia saying that most drivers in the US are NOT in the severe usage category, and that dealers throwing people into that category unnecessarily are only adding to the total cost of ownership for their Kia. I'm too lazy to look up the thread for you right now. But of course people should play it safe if they suspect they may fall into that category based on the manual.

EDIT: Here it is:
http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...a-tsb-058-most-kias-us-normal-not-severe.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I asked about service during my purchase a couple weeks ago I was told that they hoped we would try them out as they felt they would be very competitive. I told them I would but I liked to do my own oil changes, brake jobs, tire work the routine stuff. I was told that was fine they felt their prices were really good and asked that I use only a Kia oil filter if I did. I thought that was strange but said can I buy them here and was told absolutely. All I was required to do is document what I did and when. If I ever had a feeling they would deny a warranty claim because of owner service work I would never have bought the car. And if I found out they did after the sale to myself or someone else I would react in every way possible to rectify the issue.

Is there no trust left in the world, and is everyone trying to scam each other? The day I bought the Soul the service dept was closed but I plan on stopping in this week and making contact and getting a better feel for all this.

Years ago I bought a 1973 VW bug new. It didn’t have an oil filter just a screen. In the manual it listed oil change recommended on temp outside etc. and in the winter when the temp was around zero I was to change oil every 500 miles and I was driving about 500 per week back then. I went in to the dealer and asked do you really want me to change oil every 7 days in the winter and they told me hell no that’s crazy its more for a person that might drive 500 over the winter. I didn’t get it in writing I trusted them and I didn’t have a claim ether so who knows what they could have pulled if I did.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I was told that was fine they felt their prices were really good and asked that I use only a Kia oil filter if I did. I thought that was strange but said can I buy them here and was told absolutely.
Hi Bud,
This actually is required, as per Kia.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That’s how I understood it also and I can understand it as filters used to be viewed as all the same but there are some really junk ones out there. At least that way they have some control that way.

I’m hoping to just go buy a half dozen filters off them and tell them I like mobile one. Its all I use and I know others say its wasting money but I have a GMC 2500 truck that I have worked the snot out of for 250,000 miles and the compression is still like new, no wear on timing chain at 200,000 when I got worried and thought I should change it. If the dealer will use my oil or if they carry it and don’t charge me an arm and a leg I will have them do the service at least some of the time.

I have found most people that do their own service are not cheap they are just fussy and are the type that would rather not drive for an hour and sit and wait an hour for something they can do in 20 minutes at home.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The Service letter from Kia, explaining why the Kia Filter is so important has been posted on this forum several times.
It's not the filtration that's so important, although I'm sure it has some merit, but it's the special valving inside the filter
that assures that the Variable Valve Timing mechanism gets the correct oil pressure to work properly. That function is NOT
guaranteed by any other filter. The failure of that mechanism to work properly can severely effect the performance of the engine.

What's the big deal anyway? I can get the Genuine Kia filter from my dealer's parts man for just five dollars and change,
and they even give me a new Crush Washer for the drain plug, for FREE. Many guys on this forum, over the past two years have
reported that they get their Kia filters six at a time. I buy one every time I'm at my dealership, which is 30 miles away.
Besides assuring that I'll always have a Kia filter when I need one, it gives me an opportunity to have a chat with the Parts Manager.
It's amazing what you can learn from a guy like that.

When someone gets an oil change from a tire store, I'm just wondering what kind of oil and filter they are actually getting. ???
Is it what's best for the car, or is it what's the highest profit for the store?

Happy Holidays Everyone!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Happy Holidays Everyone

I'm in NC out in the country. Doesn't really get freezing temps, I don't live by the beach, i'm not stuck in stop and go traffic. ( Who can prove where and how I drive anyway? ) Maybe I let the car sit and just make long trips out of state only? Unless the cars covered in salt, snow, sand, mud and doesn't overheat, theres no proof of where I have been with that car or how i've been driving it unless it's been recorded.

But yes to be safe and never be questioned, 3K or 6 months oil change.

Anyways that topic has been talked about many many times. This thread is about that oil pan cover.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts