Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the first oil change on the wife's 2016 Soul today. Used the Kia filter, and the one little thing that maybe I'm overthinking was....the oil level was still maybe 1/8 below "full" on the stick. I put in 4 full quarts, and had 8 ounces in one of the empty quart bottles, and put most of that in as well, and it calls for 4.23 quarts, so I knew I was close. After I warmed it up, and let it set a bit, checked it, and it was a little over halfway between L and F, on that flat part of the stick, so I put the rest in, which I knew was definitely right where it should be, if the quart bottles and once measurements are accurate. It's still maybe an eighth below the F, so do I call it good, or make sure it's right at the line, or am I overthinking it? I've changed my oil on all my cars, all of my life, and I usually don't get quite that ocd, but it's my wife's car, it's only 6 months old, and I'm just being extra careful. It's not "exactly" full, and it's not low either.....so what do some of you think?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Bwahahahahah regarding Shaggy's post because it's TRUE!!! I have some strong opinions - I wouldn't stress over it, BUT I personally overfill all mine just slightly (roughly 1/4 quart over) for oil and transmission fluids. I'm of the mindset that it's better to have slightly more than slightly less and if you read enough of the posts here, you'll see dealers overfilling almost every vehicle (they'll often install 5 quarts when 4.5 is more than enough). For our gen II soul, I always use 4.5 quarts regardless; for our gen I soul, I use 4 quarts (both of those are slightly more than "specced" in the manuals, but it's easier to measure). Honestly, I overfill slightly because most vehicles (technically every vehicle) burns oil (although it may not be obvious/appreciable).

So bottom line...don't worry about it...just top it off!!!:listening_headphone
Greg

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would add until you are at the full mark. I don't agree with the more is better thinking when it comes to engine oil.
Over time over filling and running w/ too much in the system causes undo pressure and stress on the engine. seals will begin to fail.
so channel your OCD and hit the mark.

·
Registered
489 Posts
1/2 qt over isn't going to hurt it. I wouldn't go beyond that though. My dealer ( and others ) insist on 1/2 qt over every single time. Souls take 4 -1/2qts and it should be exactly on the full mark. If my warranty was gone then i'd be doing my own changes without question. I just don't trust doing it myself then saying ok heres my receipt for warranty. I bet anything Kia will fight you over that if an engine blew.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Acilla Said: "It's not "exactly" full, and it's not low either.....so what do some of you think?"

I think, next time...you should bring it to the "brofessionals" at your local Kia dealer where it guaranteed to be over filled and over torqued.
That way, you'll have the peace of mind in knowing it was done wrong and there will be no wondering!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Acilla Said: "It's not "exactly" full, and it's not low either.....so what do some of you think?"

I think, next time...you should bring it to the "brofessionals" at your local Kia dealer where it guaranteed to be over filled and over torqued.
That way, you'll have the peace of mind in knowing it was done wrong and there will be no wondering!
Exactly, get it done WRONG the first time and it will never be low again.

I'm seriously going to ask Kia next service what a Soul holds in quarts before they drive the car away. Then if they say 5qts, WRONG. If they say 4 -1/2 then when I get it back i'm going to say then why did you just put 5qts in? I did that once already and they said oh our oil pump is old and acting up so it put in 5qts since most cars take that. LOL. Always an answer.

·
Registered
992 Posts
~ Getting Back To Our Regular Scheduled Programing ~

Here is some info on Petroleum I thought the Members would like...<:))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLMfUz34R0
Good info. I'd personally like to see blind tests of different fuel additives because what I've been able to find so far does not support any significant benefit from those. I typically prefer REDLINE gear oil and power steering fluid although I've never used their motor oil (mostly because I can get pennzoil and mobil1 more readily).

Greg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DSCF4853.jpg So you guys should get a bit of a laugh out of this.

The day I changed the oil, and it wasn't quite "full", my wife says "well, our street isn't flat". Technically, she's right....it has a VERY slight slope. Looking out my front window, it's hard to tell, unless you really look for it. The other thing I thought of was....since the car was out in the street, with the passenger side to the curb, and the street having a natural "slope" towards the curb, for drainage, that yes, it's not perfectly flat, but not off enough to talk about.

So to humor her....and prove a point, or so I thought, I told her "I'll come by your work tomorrow and check it", because her work parking lot is as flat as you're going to get. When I checked it, it read full....right on the money. I guess my street, has enough slope, at least on of the directions, to make it read slightly inaccurate. Or because the car had maybe been sitting a little longer, but I let it sit a few minutes after warming it up and turning it off, the day I changed it. Oh well......now I know. Looks like 4.25 quarts gets it on the money.

The worst part? She's right, and I had to admit it. Well.....didn't have to, but...... ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil expands some when it gets hot so put in the recommended 4.25 quarts and then run the motor until it's reached operating temp (at least 5 minutes) then check the level on the dipstick. I'll bet you all a doughnut it reads full.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oil expands some when it gets hot so put in the recommended 4.25 quarts and then run the motor until it's reached operating temp (at least 5 minutes) then check the level on the dipstick. I'll bet you all a doughnut it reads full.
I had done that after I changed it, and it wasn't quite full. I've always run the engine to operating temperature, and then let it sit a couple minute before checking the level. I think the slight slope of my street made that little bit of difference. When I checked it at her work, she had run some errands at lunch, but I don't think she got it any hotter than I did, the day I changed it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I like to fill it to the full mark just so I can get a good reference to see whether it's burning or leaking oil. But I've also noticed on both of my Souls that the oil level tends to drop a bit few hours after it's filled, so that's what I use as a reference. It's cold and has been sitting for a while when I check it, so that's the point of reference that I use.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok....this is weird. Just did the second oil change, same place, same amount of oil. Because our street isn't perfectly flat, I figured doing exactly what I did last time, would be perfect, as the first time, I checked it on a flat parking lot.

She parks on relatively flat ground at her work, so I stopped and check it real quick today, for peace of mind, and this time, I'm slightly over the letter "F" on the stick. That's maybe 1/8", maybe 3/16" over the full "line". Should I drain a little, or is that not enough to fret over, and just be a little more ocd on it next time?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
Ok....this is weird. Just did the second oil change, same place, same amount of oil. Because our street isn't perfectly flat, I figured doing exactly what I did last time, would be perfect, as the first time, I checked it on a flat parking lot.

She parks on relatively flat ground at her work, so I stopped and check it real quick today, for peace of mind, and this time, I'm slightly over the letter "F" on the stick. That's maybe 1/8", maybe 3/16" over the full "line". Should I drain a little, or is that not enough to fret over, and just be a little more ocd on it next time?
relax :joyous:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,478 Posts
You are GOOD to go. Don't worry at all about being that small amount "over."

I went through somewhat the same OCD moment when my Soul was new and the dealer went about 1/2" over F. Folks on this forum who have way more experience & knowledge than I do pointed out that is nothing to worry about.

If you were ever to see "foamy oil" on the dipstick, then that would be a different story.

So fuggetaboutit my friend. Happy motoring and don't look back!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts