·
Registered
2022 Turbo, 2016 Exclaim, 2011 Exclaim
39 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Turbo, 2016 Exclaim, 2011 Exclaim
39 Posts
Those recalls are to prevent the engine from throwing a rod. It just lowers the RPM and put the car in limp mode. Not getting it done, Kia will decline any warranty work if anything happens!
I got the notification to get the update on my 2016 !. It started chattering two days later, before I got the update. Kia completely redid the engine for free and my car was out of warranty, but because the notification stated that my warranty was increased to 120k, they fixed it free.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Those recalls are to prevent the engine from throwing a rod. It just lowers the RPM and put the car in limp mode. Not getting it done, Kia will decline any warranty work if anything happens!
They can decline it even if you get it done and leave you in limp mode. Look up " knock sensor software" there's a ton of posts about it. This forum is an ocean you'll have to really look for it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They can decline it even if you get it done and leave you in limp mode. Look up " knock sensor software" there's a ton of posts about it. This forum is an ocean you'll have to really look for it.
Yes, they can decline warranty work from not doing timely oil changes, and not having receipts on the oil changes. There are a lot of other reasons like racing and off-road use. There's a Toyota Mechanic guy on youtube who talks about rebuilding Toyota engines that come from rental car places. Seems customers abuse the **** out of cars, and when the engine goes Toyota rebuilds them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know right? Doesn't it seem like an industry as big as this could design a superior, durable piston & ring product that functions nearly flawlessly?

They have so many engineers & scientists, but then again it's the same industry that gave us the Pinto & Gremlin.
They've admitted that the piston rings were made too hard (brittle) and that they estimated it affects somewhere around 1% of the 2.0 litter engines made. I assume the rings were made by an outside contractor. Something else Kia now recommends is to use full synthetic motor oil.
Forehead Nose Chin Eyebrow Facial expression

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, they can decline warranty work from not doing timely oil changes, and not having receipts on the oil changes. There are a lot of other reasons like racing and off-road use. There's a Toyota Mechanic guy on youtube who talks about rebuilding Toyota engines that come from rental car places. Seems customers abuse the **** out of cars, and when the engine goes Toyota rebuilds them.
..I was getting that the warranty means nothing . They can decline it if the panda population is too low or the population of sea turtles is in decline.
I never heard of hot rodding scammers trying to get a new engine after doing consecutive hours of donuts. But that's how THOSE people are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some 2020s had defective piston rings and that’s probably why yours is getting a new engine. There was a recall.

7500 miles is the normal maintenance schedule. Most drivers in the US should use the severe maintenance schedule (at least for oil changes) and that cuts the oil change interval in half, Kia sent out a notice a few years ago about that (link below), but your 5xxx mile changes should have been fine with that engine because it’s not a filthy direct injection engine.

Glad Kia is taking care of you and I hope you got a loaner car. There’s parts shortages all over the place still, so it may take longer than normal. Once the dealer gets the engine it shouldn’t take more than a day or two for them to install it.

The car was taken to the dealer in July 2021 to check on the recall for the oil piston rings. A mechanic friend of mine said that most likely all they do is a compression check, and if that checks okay they assume no problem. He said they would have to tear the engine apart to inspect the actual rings themselves. I also checked the VIN online once the car was first at the dealer for this problem and the VIN checks clear. I'm still thinking the engine is bad because of the piston ring problem though.
They did rent a car from Enterprise, so that was cool. They only pay for the rental and not the $25/day insurance cost. I declined that so I'm hoping I get through with no mishaps and I don't have to use my Geico insurance. The dealer said there were 200+ engines sitting in Dallas (we're about 2 hours east of there), so we should be good to go. I'm just wondering why 200 engines are sitting in Dallas....????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why are 200 sitting at a warehouse? They estimate about 1% out of 150,000 will need an engine replacement. That would be about 1,500 engines that would be needed.
It's true. GDI vehicles are built disposable. The younger generation value fashion vs. Quality. They're perfectly fine buying a car every 5 years.
Must be nice to burn money. 🔥 💸 I prefer a vehicle run at least 10 years trouble free.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Good lord, this is ridiculous. 1 quart of oil every 1,000 mi?? I have a 1972 Volvo that doesn't burn that much oil. This horrible engineering is making a better case for electric cars.
There are a lot of theories about why today's cars burn oil. Manufacturers are pulling a lot of tricks out of their bag to get better gas mileage. One is less piston ring tension, less tension means less friction and better gas millage. Though more oil will go past the rings, thinner oil so you tend to use more oil. Then there's the quality of oil you use, it's very questionable when people get their oil changed at a bargain basement quick lube place. (1) Oil change shops caught cheating under the hood - YouTube

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are a lot of theories about why today's cars burn oil. Manufacturers are pulling a lot of tricks out of their bag to get better gas mileage. One is less piston ring tension, less tension means less friction and better gas millage. Though more oil will go past the rings, thinner oil so you tend to use more oil. Then there's the quality of oil you use, it's very questionable when people get their oil changed at a bargain basement quick lube place. (1) Oil change shops caught cheating under the hood - YouTube
It seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Better gas mileage at the expense of having your engine fail sounds like a case of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Better gas mileage at the expense of having your engine fail sounds like a case of diminishing returns.
Those are all good arguments for higher excise taxes on gasoline and diesel. Right now, the USA proudly boasts the lowest excise taxes on gasoline and diesel among the rich developed countries. Not as bad as Venezuela but still bad.

This may come across as paradoxical but the math is sound: these low excise taxes make the US economy highly vulnerable to oil price shocks. They also appear to be contributing to horrifically bad health outcomes and the extension of low-density suburbs into ecologically dangerous areas.

The horrifically bad health outcomes mean poor economic and national security outcomes.

Besides, the US federal government should really seek to reduce the Debt to GDP ratio.

Reactions: Prof Carpenter

·
Registered
15 Posts
So all of the recalls and the class action suit is bogus!?
  • 2012-2020 Hyundai Elantra
  • 2009-2018 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
  • 2019-2021 Hyundai Kona
  • 2020-2021 Hyundai Palisade
  • 2010-2012 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • 2009-2010 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Sonata
  • 2011–2021 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
  • 2010-2013 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Tucson
  • 2011-2021 Hyundai Veloster
  • 2020-2021 Hyundai Venue
  • 2010-2021 Kia Forte
  • 2017-2020 Kia Niro
  • 2011-2020 Kia Optima and Optima Hybrid
  • 2012-2021 Kia Rio
  • 2011-2020 Kia Sorento
  • 2012-2021 Kia Soul
  • 2011-2020 Kia Sportage
  • 2018-2021 Kia Stinger
  • 2022 Kia K5
right on all bogus -i got a recall notice about piston rings not tempered properly and my kia soul knocks but the dealer cant hear a thing so yes as far as i am concerned all BullSh#& -i understand my noise is piston slap but the dealer slaps me in the face instead of repairing the problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
In a few minute, Kia tech line rejected my request. They asked evidences but they only consider a good maintenance if and only if I had services at Kia dealerships. They simply don’t count self-maintenance without knowing the knowledge and car maintenance practices I have done.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,723 Posts
How to join this class action?
Usually you would automatically be included in a class action if your VIN # is approved by the court & a settlement is reached.

You would have an option to opt-out of the class action settlement, but that's normally done if you feel you can get a larger remedy than the class would offer you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
In a few minute, Kia tech line rejected my request. They asked evidences but they only consider a good maintenance if and only if I had services at Kia dealerships. They simply don’t count self-maintenance without knowing the knowledge and car maintenance practices I have done.
So you supplied Kia with a maintenance log and receipts and they still rejected your request?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts