Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
330 Posts
If some new engines burn oil and some don't it's a quality control issue.
Agreed— and there’s never a diagnosis. Mine was burning well over half a quart per thousand miles. Then my dealer switched from synthetic blend to full synthetic. They did an oil change and consumption test after switching to full synth that said I burned just under half a quart over a thousand miles. And now after another thousand miles, I see no drop on my dipstick and the oil couldn’t look fresher.

It seems that most dealerships around here all mysteriously just switched to full synthetic only. But if that’s such a huge deal, they need to fess up since a lot of owners don’t service at a dealer.

Some people like to say you’re a dumbass for not using full synthetic but I was just doing what the dealership said— I always assume they are overcharging me for the highest recommended service so if they were using a blend, then that was more than sufficient.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,723 Posts
Some people like to say you’re a dumbass for not using full synthetic but I was just doing what the dealership said— I always assume they are overcharging me for the highest recommended service so if they were using a blend, then that was more than sufficient.
Same here Soul boots. The first 5 years I had the dealer do my oil changes (during bumper to bumper warranty period). They ALWAYS used dino oil only. Never tried to upsell me to full synthetic.

After that, and with the education from this forum, I started changing my own oil with full synthetic. It is virtually the same price as non synthetic. It's cheap.

I can change my own oil, full SN+ and OEM filter for under $25. They were charging me $49 for dino oil.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Same here Soul boots. The first 5 years I had the dealer do my oil changes (during bumper to bumper warranty period). They ALWAYS used dino oil only. Never tried to upsell me to full synthetic.

After that, and with the education from this forum, I started changing my own oil with full synthetic. It is virtually the same price as non synthetic. It's cheap.

I can change my own oil, full SN+ and OEM filter for under $25. They were charging me $49 for dino oil.
In the business world, they always want to sell you what meets the manufacturing requirements in addition to the most profitable product!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Recall & software update visits are not your typical nuts & bolts-related maintenance appointments. That's probably why it was never discussed.
Trip777

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Talked to the service manager last Saturday at the Kia Dealership. He had never heard of the BG induction/intake valve cleaning process.

To give the Soul the BG cleaning, I will have to drive 3 1/2 to 4 hours into Greater Vancouver to get it done.

BTW, I have met lots and lots of auto mechanics in past decades who behaved like they were smarter than Exxon Mobil engineers (the real engineers with the ring). Not likely.

Understand where public education has been heading in North America. Chemistry? Physics? Math? Not necessary but courses on how to get along and socialize with others, those are crucial. Note that most people get their news from the television -- not a great source -- or read news off their smartphones and then have the temerity to think they are "well informed".

In the background, technology is evolving very rapidly. I have run into dozens upon dozens of PhDs who were/are several decades out of touch with their fast evolving professions. Some make an effort to keep up; many do not. Why should auto techs and mechanics be any different?

Anybody carefully reading this and other auto fora by now should have figured out that not all auto techs are the same, and not all service managers are the same. Some dealerships make an effort to stay on top of the bleeding edge, many do not.

If you are still looking for an Old Testament God to take you by the hand, remove all the complexity and look after you, well, all I can say is good luck.

Reactions: mj0 and RickM46

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,723 Posts
Talked to the service manager last Saturday at the Kia Dealership. He had never heard of the BG induction/intake valve cleaning process.

To give the Soul the BG cleaning, I will have to drive 3 1/2 to 4 hours into Greater Vancouver to get it done.

BTW, I have met lots and lots of auto mechanics in past decades who behaved like they were smarter than Exxon Mobil engineers (the real engineers with the ring). Not likely.

Understand where public education has been heading in North America. Chemistry? Physics? Math? Not necessary but courses on how to get along and socialize with others, those are crucial. Note that most people get their news from the television -- not a great source -- or read news off their smartphones and then have the temerity to think they are "well informed".

In the background, technology is evolving very rapidly. I have run into dozens upon dozens of PhDs who were/are several decades out of touch with their fast evolving professions. Some make an effort to keep up; many do not. Why should auto techs and mechanics be any different?

Anybody carefully reading this and other auto fora by now should have figured out that not all auto techs are the same, and not all service managers are the same. Some dealerships make an effort to stay on top of the bleeding edge, many do not.

If you are still looking for an Old Testament God to take you by the hand, remove all the complexity and look after you, well, all I can say is good luck.
I'd take issue with what you said, but, I'm on the same page. Couldn't have expressed it better westslope. Thanks (y)

·
Registered
456 Posts

In my 38 years in the electric utility field of work and as just a high school grad. Many times I've run into people who are so new to the job they just don't know or it's that they really don't want to get into an argument about something to them is a waste of their precious time. Besides a Dealership, have you thought of having a local garage do the work?
Head Chin Photograph Mouth Product

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
...... Besides a Dealership, have you thought of having a local garage do the work?
I would argue on average, the dealership is the best place to go. For certain kinds of special jobs, e.g., exhaust systems, a specialized muffler/exhaust shop might be the best.

There is nothing wrong with competent independent mechanics. It can simply be a little harder to figure out whose is reliable and who is not.

From a strategic planning perspective, the dealership has the advantage of being vulnerable to consumer activism, far more vulnerable than the typical independent mechanic whose brand and reputation capital is worth far less than that of a giant multi-national automobile company.

For example, we keep reading on these pages about Kia reaching out and extending good will to Kia auto owners. Based on anecdotal evidence, independent shops are rarely as generous.

Effective consumer activism takes time and effort but if one is located in the the USA, it is the mecca for smart, effective consumer activism. No other country comes close. There are lots of resources if one is willing to take the time and effort to learn.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would argue on average, the dealership is the best place to go. For certain kinds of special jobs, e.g., exhaust systems, a specialized muffler/exhaust shop might be the best.

There is nothing wrong with competent independent mechanics. It can simply be a little harder to figure out whose is reliable and who is not.

From a strategic planning perspective, the dealership has the advantage of being vulnerable to consumer activism, far more vulnerable than the typical independent mechanic whose brand and reputation capital is worth far less than that of a giant multi-national automobile company.

For example, we keep reading on these pages about Kia reaching out and extending good will to Kia auto owners. Based on anecdotal evidence, independent shops are rarely as generous.

Effective consumer activism takes time and effort but if one is located in the the USA, it is the mecca for smart, effective consumer activism. No other country comes close. There are lots of resources if one is willing to take the time and effort to learn.
I've found best referials are from facebook ask the community! As far as dealerships I advoid them unless their's something like a recall that needs to be done.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Folks say it's maintenance or your fault. Yeah sure that does happen, but these recalls speak for themselves. They burn oil because the piston rings are manufactured loose and the pistons themselves are short Then if you don't check your oil level after every gas up you can run out of oil. The piston rod bearings are tiny compared to other manufacturers. Overall a flawed design out the box.

·
Registered
45 Posts
But still no one hardly mentions oil dilution and the use of very low viscosity oil. '19 1.6 turbo here, change it every 5000 miles and will never use thinner than 10-30. 36K so far and not loosing even a drop. Just because Kia says you can use 5-20 doesn't mean it's a good idea........OBVIOUSLY.

Folks say it's maintenance or your fault. Yeah sure that does happen, but these recalls speak for themselves. They burn oil because the piston rings are manufactured loose and the pistons themselves are short Then if you don't check your oil level after every gas up you can run out of oil. The piston rod bearings are tiny compared to other manufacturers. Overall a flawed design out the box.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's a shame. The SOUL platform is a terrific car. It's a hard to believe KIA can't mass produce a dependable engine or transmission.
Mines been OK so far (50,000 miles) but I won't buy another KIA or Hyundai.
Too much potential for catastrophic failure. It's not worth the worry.
Expecting customers to tolerate a 1 qt. per 1000 mile oil burn rate is absurd.
Yup, at 57k on my KiA Soul + with 2.0 engine. I refuse to do the free Update of Death. They offered me first a $50 gift card in 2020 and now $300 ATM to let them do 3 important software updates to my car computer. They said it's not a recall but a free update.
I read about how you can kiss your KIA engine goodbye after 2 months with the update.
No sir.
The "stealer" er..Freudian slip...I mean "dealer" can forget it

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul+ 2.0l automatic in Clear White
177 Posts
Could not find the post about "the service update service pack KIA Soul gift card". I just took my 2019 in for a recall on airbags. They gave my car a software update without asking me first. The car seems fine so far. I check my oil every time I fill up, as my daddy taught me. I also change the oil every 3k-ish miles instead of 7500. No issues so far with the 2.0. I heard the bad engines are more a built outside of Korea problem. Mine was built in Korea. Driving it until the wheels fall off :)

Reactions: billybob71 and dkmc

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Kia Soul with the 2.0 in May of 2020 for my son. He got his license in July 2020 so he's been driving it for about 20 months. It has just short of 29k miles and is at the dealer with a bad engine for a week now. The dealer has submitted for an engine replacement. My downfall I guess is that I have a local small service station do the oil changes. I buy the oil (Mobil 1 full synthetic plus use the special oil filter which I buy at the dealer....I guess it has a spring in the filter or something).....it has had five oil changes....about a 5700 mile average. They submitted the paperwork one week ago. I'm wondering how long it usually takes for an answer. I pulled page 424 from the owners manual straight from the Kia website and it clearly states an oil change every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yup, at 57k on my KiA Soul + with 2.0 engine. I refuse to do the free Update of Death. They offered me first a $50 gift card in 2020 and now $300 ATM to let them do 3 important software updates to my car computer. They said it's not a recall but a free update.
I read about how you can kiss your KIA engine goodbye after 2 months with the update.
No sir.
The "stealer" er..Freudian slip...I mean "dealer" can forget it
Those recalls are to prevent the engine from throwing a rod. It just lowers the RPM and put the car in limp mode. Not getting it done, Kia will decline any warranty work if anything happens!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I bought a Kia Soul with the 2.0 in May of 2020 for my son. He got his license in July 2020 so he's been driving it for about 20 months. It has just short of 29k miles and is at the dealer with a bad engine for a week now. The dealer has submitted for an engine replacement. My downfall I guess is that I have a local small service station do the oil changes. I buy the oil (Mobil 1 full synthetic plus use the special oil filter which I buy at the dealer....I guess it has a spring in the filter or something).....it has had five oil changes....about a 5700 mile average. They submitted the paperwork one week ago. I'm wondering how long it usually takes for an answer. I pulled page 424 from the owners manual straight from the Kia website and it clearly states an oil change every 7500 miles.
Some 2020s had defective piston rings and that’s probably why yours is getting a new engine. There was a recall.

7500 miles is the normal maintenance schedule. Most drivers in the US should use the severe maintenance schedule (at least for oil changes) and that cuts the oil change interval in half, Kia sent out a notice a few years ago about that (link below), but your 5xxx mile changes should have been fine with that engine because it’s not a filthy direct injection engine.

Glad Kia is taking care of you and I hope you got a loaner car. There’s parts shortages all over the place still, so it may take longer than normal. Once the dealer gets the engine it shouldn’t take more than a day or two for them to install it.

Reactions: GeoSoul
21 - 40 of 83 Posts