Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
754 Posts
It's a shame. The SOUL platform is a terrific car. It's a hard to believe KIA can't mass produce a dependable engine or transmission.
Mines been OK so far (50,000 miles) but I won't buy another KIA or Hyundai.
Too much potential for catastrophic failure. It's not worth the worry.
Expecting customers to tolerate a 1 qt. per 1000 mile oil burn rate is absurd.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Expecting customers to tolerate a 1 qt. per 1000 miles oil burn rate is absurd.
You’ll find that’s “normal” for most manufacturers today. So when you’re new Honda, GM, Toyota, or Subaru starts burning oil. Don’t be surprised at the dealer telling you that.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You’ll find that’s “normal” for most manufacturers today. So when you’re new Honda, GM, Toyota, or Subaru starts burning oil. Don’t be surprised at the dealer telling you that.
Being around for awhile I was not accustomed to cars burning much oil certainly not a qt in 1000 miles. But true enough that is fast becoming somewhat normal though still seems a little high. Now Hyundai/Kia may have problems beyond that but simply burning oil has become a norm.
Even our last Pontiac, a G6 GDP burned easily a qt every 2,000 miles and GM told us it was normal. Must say no engine problems in 178,000 miles.

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
754 Posts
So all of the recalls and the class action suit is bogus!?
  • 2012-2020 Hyundai Elantra
  • 2009-2018 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
  • 2019-2021 Hyundai Kona
  • 2020-2021 Hyundai Palisade
  • 2010-2012 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • 2009-2010 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Sonata
  • 2011–2021 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
  • 2010-2013 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Tucson
  • 2011-2021 Hyundai Veloster
  • 2020-2021 Hyundai Venue
  • 2010-2021 Kia Forte
  • 2017-2020 Kia Niro
  • 2011-2020 Kia Optima and Optima Hybrid
  • 2012-2021 Kia Rio
  • 2011-2020 Kia Sorento
  • 2012-2021 Kia Soul
  • 2011-2020 Kia Sportage
  • 2018-2021 Kia Stinger
  • 2022 Kia K5

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd love to know why the 2011 Soul isn't part of this lawsuit. I've been replacing oil like crazy on mine for a number of years now. Last week I checked the oil and nothing was on the dipstick, after just filling it the previous month. I am not a high mileage driver, but do use the car every day. As an aside, I'm curious why no light ever registers on the dashboard that the oil is low! The mechanic has looked numerous times and found no leaks which makes me wonder if it is just burning too much oil. I love my Soul which had 13 miles on it new and now has 169000 miles, but this oil issue is maddening.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
So all of the recalls and the class action suit is bogus!?
  • 2012-2020 Hyundai Elantra
  • 2009-2018 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
  • 2019-2021 Hyundai Kona
  • 2020-2021 Hyundai Palisade
  • 2010-2012 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • 2009-2010 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Sonata
  • 2011–2021 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
  • 2010-2013 and 2015-2021 Hyundai Tucson
  • 2011-2021 Hyundai Veloster
  • 2020-2021 Hyundai Venue
  • 2010-2021 Kia Forte
  • 2017-2020 Kia Niro
  • 2011-2020 Kia Optima and Optima Hybrid
  • 2012-2021 Kia Rio
  • 2011-2020 Kia Sorento
  • 2012-2021 Kia Soul
  • 2011-2020 Kia Sportage
  • 2018-2021 Kia Stinger
  • 2022 Kia K5
That is a pretty bogus list. Yes I have seen many of the GDI engines burning oil , Kia and most other manufacturers. Majority of them have poor maintenance both oil wise and doing regular fuel induction services. Lots of the issues are also caused by idiots at oil change shops not knowing how to replace a crush washer and they all slowly seep out the drain plug never mind the tiny filter they put on there that accomplishes next to nothing for about 1k miles and then just goes into bypass. Having lots of personal experience with servicing, replacing and rebuilding these engines I can tell you that a few of those models need to be stricken off the list as I have not seen them burning oil at all. Start with the 2021-2022 K5, seriously, never seen one low on oil or using any and plenty of people come in at 10-12k miles since last oil change so double or technically quadruple over their recommended interval (3k for severe duty ie city driving). Never seen a Stinger low on oil. Never seen a Telluride (Palisade is same engine) low on oil (well one but it had a valve cover leak, only one I've done on one of those). Only Niro I have seen burning oil is one that went 32k without an oil change and the motor is sludged up so bad it is hard to get oil in the valve cover but I've changed it a few times since that time the guy went that long and it is still running. Kia Optima hybrid 2011-2016, used the MPI 2.4 and don't see those burning oil either. 2020-2021 Soul, don't see those burning oil save for those that had the piston ring recall which will do more than just burn oil they will burn themselves up and they get replaced. On the Forte's the early ones and all the MPI ones don't burn oil, there were many Forte that were not GDI and certainly the 2019 and up don't.
That list is comical. I remember when Audi told me that 1Liter per 1,000 KM is what they call normal, don't feel like doing the math but that is nearly a quart every 500 miles. I also own one of the dreaded GM 3.6 garbage (Fiance has a Camaro) and it doesn't use oil despite being 12 years old, oh yeah that is because I maintain it and it doesn't go over on oil changes.
The GDI engines burning oil and having carboned up valves is an industry wide issue.
I found the article comical as the writer is so upset about his 140k mile car not getting fully covered, any other manufacturer would tell him to get bent after 60k.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,744 Posts
The Hyundai oil consumption lawsuit was filed by these plaintiffs:
  • Davy Cho / California / 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Bryan Rothmaler / Illinois / 2017 Hyundai Tucson Sport
  • Beth Makie / Massachusetts / 2016 Kia Sorento
  • Anna Chmura / Wisconsin / 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
  • Anthony Banderas / Nevada / 2020 Hyundai Kona
  • Michelle Smith / Florida / 2016 Hyundai Sonata
  • Catherine Little / Texas / 2017 Hyundai Sonata
  • Luticia and Thomas Thompson / Kentucky / 2016 Kia Sorento
Only 2 Kia's, and both Sorentos in the plaintiffs list.

Lead plaintiffs receive the most money in class action lawsuits. They typically have the worst injuries and the highest damages.

I truly hope that justice is served, whatever that is in this case. From the previous "car fires" litigation, I think it's best to keep hopes to a minimum. It may take years of complex back and forth, which often leads to "we'll extend your warranty" or give you a $100 gift card. For alot of folks, oil consumption has not been an issue, or more a result of deferred maintenance.

There's almost always a deduction in the "harm" value that takes into account the miles of service the vehicle delivered to the owner. It would be rare that Kia would just give a brand new, free engine, to someone who had ie: 85,000 miles on the odometer. Hope for the best, expect the worse.

All the best to those who have been harmed

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
330 Posts
I suppose burning oil isn’t the worst thing but if they’re gonna tell people it’s normal, they need an oil gauge right next to the fuel gauge because too many people don’t think to check their oil. If I didn’t check my oil regularly, my engine would have been close to dry at the last service. If this is just part of owning a Kia, they need to be honest so that we maintain appropriately.

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
I suppose burning oil isn’t the worst thing but if they’re gonna tell people it’s normal, they need an oil gauge right next to the fuel gauge because too many people don’t think to check their oil. If I didn’t check my oil regularly, my engine would have been close to dry at the last service. If this is just part of owning a Kia, they need to be honest so that we maintain appropriately.
I kinda miss the days when cars had oil pressure gauges instead of just idiot lights.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I kinda miss the days when cars had oil pressure gauges instead of just idiot lights.
And these id*ot lights are just for when your oil pressure is too low. By then it could be too late. I agree, cars should have at least a low oil level warning light that lights up “add 1 qt oil” and dings like the put your seat belt on dinger.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
..... Lots of the issues are also caused by idiots at oil change shops not knowing how to replace a crush washer and they all slowly seep out the drain plug never mind the tiny filter they put on there that accomplishes next to nothing for about 1k miles and then just goes into bypass.....
I hope people read that. I bought my own crush washers to help get them to put a new one on each time. My Soul would have oil seep by otherwise. And because of the early non OEM filters not handling the pressure correctly I stuck with Kia/Hyundai filters.
As I said in my post I still think a qt every 1000 miles is excessive, mine never did that but it lose close to a qt every 2,000 to 3,000 miles. Depended on what type of driving.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hmmm… how does one add your name to this?
Being a lead plaintiff is OK if you are a wealthy trust funder with not much to do in life.

Wait until the lawsuit is settled and then sign up for benefits (if any).

In the meantime, USA policy on these matters is exceptional. In this case, that means that US voters are (once again) ignoring their own experts and ignoring the policy experience of other countries.

The CAFE regulations are YOURS! The Martians did not impose them. Neither did the Russians or Chinese or other evil aliens.

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
That is a pretty bogus list. Yes I have seen many of the GDI engines burning oil , Kia and most other manufacturers. Majority of them have poor maintenance both oil wise and doing regular fuel induction services.
I agree bwdz. This is an industry wide issue and folks shouldn't think it's a "Kia/Hyundai thing." Those who want to rush out and buy a Toyota or other brand should beware.

Plaintiffs across the United States brought a class action lawsuit against Toyota Motor Corporation over vehicles with defective engines that burn excessive amounts of oil. Defective engines put drivers and passengers in immediate danger.

Toyota Oil Consumption Defect Lawsuit - Car Attorney.

Ford

Mazda

Subaru

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Oh I know how it is. Then you have the manufacturer's dodging things they promised to do, if I had a dollar for every Equinox I sent away to the dealer because GM extended the rear main seal and timing chain warranties to 120k miles but yet customer's returned saying their car VIN was not on the list and had to pay 1000s out of pocket.
I guess the takeaway from this is that I, along with most of you, am part of this lawsuit even though my 16 Soul doesn't burn a drop of oil and I service 100s of Souls that come in for oil changes with the oil up to the full mark after 5k miles.
I even service the highest mileage Soul that I am aware of on it's original 2.0 engine that uses very little at 400k + miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
If some new engines burn oil and some don't it's a quality control issue.
I know right? Doesn't it seem like an industry as big as this could design a superior, durable piston & ring product that functions nearly flawlessly?

They have so many engineers & scientists, but then again it's the same industry that gave us the Pinto & Gremlin.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts