Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car folks. Is it “normal” for a 2015 Kia Soul with 68,000 on it to go through 1.5 quarts of oil in 2,800 miles? That’s what Kia of Columbia is telling me.

I’ve been on an oil consumption test since 63,000 miles (yes the warranty ended at 60,000 miles… Of course we didn’t notice it consuming oil until 63,000). I’m a bit agitated to say the least....on top of everything, they want me to be able to come in every 500 miles to check the consumption...I’ve been in three times since my last oil change and we noticed the problem...the first two times between 500-1000 miles, and this last time after 2,800. It burns more oil (as a percentage of miles driven) the longer between checks it goes, so they obviously want me to come in more often for checks and top offs so it doesn’t burn as much in tests and doesn’t look as bad.

All of my friends and family in the vehicle sales and maintenance industry are good and honest people; but I’m sorry, generally speaking, the car business from manufacturing, to sales, to service seems to be one big racket.

BOTTOM LINE, if I have to put a quart of oil in my car between oil changes of 3,000 miles, there is a problem with the vehicle. This isn’t a 2002 F-150, or a 1996 Ford TBird, or a 2005 Hyundai Accent, or a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, or a 2009 Ford Escape...all I own or have owned and had around 200,000 miles on them when I traded them in, yet none of them needed oil between oil changes.

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Howdy & welcome to the forum. This topic is discussed at length in other threads. If you use the search function or scroll through popular threads you can find information from others with the same problem, and of course lots of advice & opinions.

All the best.

·
Registered
79 Posts
" I’m a bit agitated to say the least....on top of everything, they want me to be able to come in every 500 miles to check the consumption...I’ve been in three times since my last oil change and we noticed the problem...the first two times between 500-1000 miles, and this last time after 2,800. It burns more oil (as a percentage of miles driven) the longer between checks it goes, so they obviously want me to come in more often for checks and top offs so it doesn’t burn as much in tests and doesn’t look as bad. "

Hi, Your story is o_O really something! You are patient going in for these checks and top offs. We all know this oil consumption standard is completely bogus! Keep us updated and Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
KIA's protocol for the excess oil-burning issues is almost identical to what Saturn did for the S-Series engines, which were notorious oil-burners due to a less-than-wonderful oil ring design.

On the one hand, I suppose KIA does have to confirm that there's actually a problem. But their definition of what is "normal" is way too high, in my opinion. Also, most people have better things to do than complain about non-existent oil-consumption problems. If they say the car is burning too much oil, then it probably is.

With Saturn, it got to the point that many dealerships would dispense with the "test" and just do the piston soak that usually fixed (or at least reduced) the problem for a while. Saturn enthusiasts would just buy the cleaner and do it themselves, accepting it as part of owning a Saturn. We also installed a lot of oil catch cans.

Eventually, synthetic oils seemed to fix the problem. My last Saturn S car had something like 183,000 miles when I traded it in, and it burned almost no oil. But on the older models, before synthetic became the norm, you could practically watch the oil level dropping. And they never did fix the ring design.

That's why these oil-consumption complaints on KIA cars always make me wonder whether a piston soak might be worth trying. For a competent shadetree mechanic, it's a simple procedure. Granted, the Saturns had a known design flaw that made it effective, and I'm not aware of such a flaw on KIA engines. But it falls under that heading of "Can't hurt and might help."

If I ever have the problem on a KIA, especially if it's post-warranty, I'll give it a shot.

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts