Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car folks. Is it “normal” for a 2015 Kia Soul with 68,000 on it to go through 1.5 quarts of oil in 2,800 miles? That’s what Kia of Columbia is telling me.

I’ve been on an oil consumption test since 63,000 miles (yes the warranty ended at 60,000 miles… Of course we didn’t notice it consuming oil until 63,000). I’m a bit agitated to say the least....on top of everything, they want me to be able to come in every 500 miles to check the consumption...I’ve been in three times since my last oil change and we noticed the problem...the first two times between 500-1000 miles, and this last time after 2,800. It burns more oil (as a percentage of miles driven) the longer between checks it goes, so they obviously want me to come in more often for checks and top offs so it doesn’t burn as much in tests and doesn’t look as bad.

All of my friends and family in the vehicle sales and maintenance industry are good and honest people; but I’m sorry, generally speaking, the car business from manufacturing, to sales, to service seems to be one big racket.

BOTTOM LINE, if I have to put a quart of oil in my car between oil changes of 3,000 miles, there is a problem with the vehicle. This isn’t a 2002 F-150, or a 1996 Ford TBird, or a 2005 Hyundai Accent, or a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, or a 2009 Ford Escape...all I own or have owned and had around 200,000 miles on them when I traded them in, yet none of them needed oil between oil changes.

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,769 Posts
Howdy & welcome to the forum. This topic is discussed at length in other threads. If you use the search function or scroll through popular threads you can find information from others with the same problem, and of course lots of advice & opinions.

All the best.

·
Registered
148 Posts
" I’m a bit agitated to say the least....on top of everything, they want me to be able to come in every 500 miles to check the consumption...I’ve been in three times since my last oil change and we noticed the problem...the first two times between 500-1000 miles, and this last time after 2,800. It burns more oil (as a percentage of miles driven) the longer between checks it goes, so they obviously want me to come in more often for checks and top offs so it doesn’t burn as much in tests and doesn’t look as bad. "

Hi, Your story is o_O really something! You are patient going in for these checks and top offs. We all know this oil consumption standard is completely bogus! Keep us updated and Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
KIA's protocol for the excess oil-burning issues is almost identical to what Saturn did for the S-Series engines, which were notorious oil-burners due to a less-than-wonderful oil ring design.

On the one hand, I suppose KIA does have to confirm that there's actually a problem. But their definition of what is "normal" is way too high, in my opinion. Also, most people have better things to do than complain about non-existent oil-consumption problems. If they say the car is burning too much oil, then it probably is.

With Saturn, it got to the point that many dealerships would dispense with the "test" and just do the piston soak that usually fixed (or at least reduced) the problem for a while. Saturn enthusiasts would just buy the cleaner and do it themselves, accepting it as part of owning a Saturn. We also installed a lot of oil catch cans.

Eventually, synthetic oils seemed to fix the problem. My last Saturn S car had something like 183,000 miles when I traded it in, and it burned almost no oil. But on the older models, before synthetic became the norm, you could practically watch the oil level dropping. And they never did fix the ring design.

That's why these oil-consumption complaints on KIA cars always make me wonder whether a piston soak might be worth trying. For a competent shadetree mechanic, it's a simple procedure. Granted, the Saturns had a known design flaw that made it effective, and I'm not aware of such a flaw on KIA engines. But it falls under that heading of "Can't hurt and might help."

If I ever have the problem on a KIA, especially if it's post-warranty, I'll give it a shot.

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2013 Soul and all was fine up to 70k miles then it started to use oil 1st 1qt per 5k miles now at 82k miles it's using 1qt per 2k miles, the dealer changed the pvc valve cover but that did not change anything.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
We have a 2013 Soul and all was fine up to 70k miles then it started to use oil 1st 1qt per 5k miles now at 82k miles it's using 1qt per 2k miles, the dealer changed the pvc valve cover but that did not change anything.
Have you been using Techron? It's one of the few fuel additives that actually does something useful. KIA recommends it if you don't use Top Tier gas.

Also, what type and weight oil are you using?

Unless you want to poke around inside the cylinders with a borescope, it's pretty safe to assume that your rings are somewhat worn due to mileage, and somewhat dirty due to carbon. Using Techron in a few consecutive tanks of gas can't hurt and might help.

Also, if you're using 5W-20 oil, consider switching to a 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on how cold it gets where you live. It's not at all unusual for cars to need "heavier" oils as they age and wear.

Richard

·
Registered
354 Posts

It's not really unheard of for modern engines to lose oil as they age, at leaat that's what I've come to learn since being a member of these forums. This video may help to explain why this happens, why you shouldn't be alarmed (unless the change of oil consumption fluctuates or happened suddenly) and why car manufacturers don't talk about it. This video might explain what may be happening with your Soul.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Perhaps I'm the luckiest guy in the world, with 69 years of owning American, English, and Japanese cars , and never had an oil burner. Well, other than my first car, a 37 Ford, back in 1950. It sucked it up pretty good, but it always ran. In more recent years my Honda, Nissan's, Miata, Toyota's, have not consumed any oil up thru 120K. I usually sell them by then. Even my 20 year old Ford Ranger uses no oil. Current '13 Accord has about 120K, oil changed every 8-9 thousand miles, with no oil added. I'm enjoying the Soul as much as anything I've owned, but do not have the confidence that it will last. At 35K its doing good, but I check it regularly. The minute it starts using oil, it will be traded.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Perhaps I'm the luckiest guy in the world, with 69 years of owning American, English, and Japanese cars , and never had an oil burner. Well, other than my first car, a 37 Ford, back in 1950. It sucked it up pretty good, but it always ran. In more recent years my Honda, Nissan's, Miata, Toyota's, have not consumed any oil up thru 120K. I usually sell them by then. Even my 20 year old Ford Ranger uses no oil. Current '13 Accord has about 120K, oil changed every 8-9 thousand miles, with no oil added. I'm enjoying the Soul as much as anything I've owned, but do not have the confidence that it will last. At 35K its doing good, but I check it regularly. The minute it starts using oil, it will be traded.
That's good news having no-oil burners ul! What oil are you running in the Soul?

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
205 Posts

All of my friends and family in the vehicle sales and maintenance industry are good and honest people; but I’m sorry, generally speaking, the car business from manufacturing, to sales, to service seems to be one big racket.
This kind of nonsense really irritates me. You have a problem, you do not understand it and then simply fingerpoint folks who are not up to your moral and ethical standards. Sometimes I wonder if we have evolved much beyond burning witches at the stake.

If the OP -- apparently a one post wonder -- was still here, I would invite him to have an out-of-body experience and to re-read his post from the perspective of a complete outsider. What is missing?

=> What grade of oil has the OP been using since purchasing the 2015 Soul?

Now if the OP feels entitled to use cheap conventional oil, well then, that is another little factoid that is missing.

Another little factoid worth knowing is the type of engine. 2.0 litre or 1.6 litre? This problem -- and it is indeed a problem -- seems to occur more frequently with 1.6 litre engines.

On the other hand, if the OP has done all service work exclusively at Kia of Columbia, has followed their advice to the letter, and constantly uses top-tier quality gasoline, then yes, there is a problem at Kia of Columbia.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
This kind of nonsense really irritates me. You have a problem, you do not understand it and then simply fingerpoint folks who are not up to your moral and ethical standards. Sometimes I wonder if we have evolved much beyond burning witches at the stake.

If the OP -- apparently a one post wonder -- was still here, I would invite him to have an out-of-body experience and to re-read his post from the perspective of a complete outsider. What is missing?

=> What grade of oil has the OP been using since purchasing the 2015 Soul?

Now if the OP feels entitled to use cheap conventional oil, well then, that is another little factoid that is missing.

Another little factoid worth knowing is the type of engine. 2.0 litre or 1.6 litre? This problem -- and it is indeed a problem -- seems to occur more frequently with 1.6 litre engines.

On the other hand, if the OP has done all service work exclusively at Kia of Columbia, has followed their advice to the letter, and constantly uses top-tier quality gasoline, then yes, there is a problem at Kia of Columbia.
I agree westslope it really helps if folks can give "details" of their engine and oil used.

I'm curious about the "seems to occur more frequently in the 1.6 litre engines?"

Posts #3 and #5 above are both 2.0 litre. And of course the OP doesn't say and hasn't come back with any details. Grrr.

All the best!

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's good news having no-oil burners ul! What oil are you running in the Soul?
Pennsoil Platinum 5W-20/Kia [email protected] 5K intervals. Come summer I might go to 5w-30. I'm not hung up on Pennsoil over any other brand name, but do believe in using synthetic (or what passes for Syn in the US). Sorta like the idea that its made from natural gas instead of crude oil. :)

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
205 Posts
I'm curious about the "seems to occur more frequently in the 1.6 litre engines?"
Well, that statement is based on out-of-the-window empiricism. Just a small number of personal observations from reading the board and some input off the board. It is not well documented and has no pretense of being 'scientific'.

Think of it as the way journalism can be conducted. Something along the lines of "Where there is smoke, there is (most likely) fire."

Frankly, I have no idea why the 1.6 litre engine would be more prone to oil leaks than the 2.0 litre engine. Unless 1.6 litre engine owners are coincidentally driving more urban miles, i.e., short distances, or spending less on motor oil.

But all that said, GeoSoul, there is just enough 'smoke' to have me paying much closer attention as you can possibly infer from posts I have made in other threads. Before buying the Soul, I had no idea of the some problems that GDI engines can create. Now I do.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Well, that statement is based on out-of-the-window empiricism. Just a small number of personal observations from reading the board and some input off the board. It is not well documented and has no pretense of being 'scientific'.

Think of it as the way journalism can be conducted. Something along the lines of "Where there is smoke, there is (most likely) fire."

Frankly, I have no idea why the 1.6 litre engine would be more prone to oil leaks than the 2.0 litre engine. Unless 1.6 litre engine owners are coincidentally driving more urban miles, i.e., short distances, or spending less on motor oil.

But all that said, GeoSoul, there is just enough 'smoke' to have me paying much closer attention as you can possibly infer from posts I have made in other threads. Before buying the Soul, I had no idea of the some problems that GDI engines can create. Now I do.
I know what you mean westslope. It's kind of all we can do to formulate an opinion is general observations because Kia doesn't share detailed information on this with the public. In all fairness to them, neither does Toyota, Subaru, Ford or Honda, who are also experiencing a rash of similar GDI issues.

I looked at just 2014 Souls reported to NHTSA & got the impression the 1.6s were the ones catching fire, which was finally addressed with the CC software update. I haven't noticed any reports of burning Souls lately.

The 2.0s were more likely to seize up due to oil usage. But maybe 1.6s are too. Especially since both are GDI. I've heard the turbo is the most prone to oil dilution due to extreme pressure (industry wide).

But like you said, it's just observational & I honestly don't know who's on first :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’ve been on an oil consumption test since 63,000 miles (yes the warranty ended at 60,000 miles… Of course we didn’t notice it consuming oil until 63,000).
I'm surprised no one has pointed this out, but this statement is simply not true. Unless the OP is not the first owner of the car, the engine and transmission are under warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Didn't Kia do away with the GDI in 2020 in favor of MPI (multi port injection), an older form of fuel feed?

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I'm surprised no one has pointed this out, but this statement is simply not true. Unless the OP is not the first owner of the car, the engine and transmission are under warranty for 10 years or 100,000 miles.
Since they didn't say if they were the original owner, and seemed "warranty-wise," I took them at their word.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Didn't Kia do away with the GDI in 2020 in favor of MPI (multi port injection), an older form of fuel feed?
They did on the Soul & some others, but GDI is alive & well in their fleet. The Stinger, Telluride, Sportage & others use GDI. I also noticed the new, redesigned 2020 Hyundai Sonata uses GDI, so I'm pretty sure the 2020 Optima will too.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

I don't really look at it as GDI engines creating problems. I look at it as additions to the maintenance regime performed in return for the considerable benefits of the technology.

We're talking about a few dollars a year more to buy better-quality oil, two or three cans of CRC per year to keep the intake valves clean, and about half an hour of extra labor and an Italian tune-up before every oil change. If you want to go all the way, add on $50.00 for a catch can. The total cost is still going to come in well under the fuel savings.

Then again, if they could duplicate the fuel savings and performance advantages using M/PFI, I wouldn't mind not having the extra valve-cleaning chore. But I don't consider it a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Richard

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
I don't really look at it as GDI engines creating problems. I look at it as additions to the maintenance regime performed in return for the considerable benefits of the technology.

We're talking about a few dollars a year more to buy better-quality oil, two or three cans of CRC per year to keep the intake valves clean, and about half an hour of extra labor and an Italian tune-up before every oil change. If you want to go all the way, add on $50.00 for a catch can. The total cost is still going to come in well under the fuel savings.

Then again, if they could duplicate the fuel savings and performance advantages using M/PFI, I wouldn't mind not having the extra valve-cleaning chore. But I don't consider it a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Richard
I agree Richard. It's a tight tolerance engine that needs a little more diligent maintence. The average motorist may not care to do that, buy cheap gas, have Motor Monkey do a $29.99 oil & filter change at, well, whatever the last interval was. PCV what now? What's an air filter?

Sadly that's most of how my friends view cars. They would probably not do well with any GDI engine :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts