Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The car comes with a 10 year power train warranty so don’t waste your money on excessive oil changes. The warranty is your peace of mind. That bulletin from Kia is all the evidence you need that normal covers usage on most US roads. If you drive sub 10 minute trips in sub freezing temperatures up a steep hill with your gas pedal nailed then go for severe.
Dealers are always happy to take your money and will love to classify your area or your driving as severe so you spend twice as much with them on oil changes. My dealer called me 4 months after I bought our Soul to book our first service. I told them in no uncertain terms I would be sticking to the 7.5k/1yr schedule as outlined in the manual which for the low mileage we do means every 1yr basically. I was later sent an email telling me the service manager would like to explain to me how I might want to consider doing so more often despite living in warm and flat Texas and driving everywhere at the 45mph limit. I declined the offer and told them I’d see them in another 8 months and to stop calling or emailing me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never heard of 3750 OCI on any modern car, especially on a low power engine... I can't imagine severe enough driving conditions to warrant this frequency of changes. Seems like overkill, bbut I could be wrong. ;) I do however recognize CA Transplant's comment about 6 month intervals. That's a good time to change if you don't drive it much. It will flush out any moisture that may have accumulated due to not enough prolonged full operating temperature driving to burn off any moisture.

I also recommend using a synthetic oil always. It's cheap insurance to keep your engine like new. Costco has Kirkland synthetic now for $30 for 10 qts (2 - 5 qt jugs). So for $3.00/qt you can have a full synthetic oil.

Does anyone know what oil is used in the initial factory fill? I imagine it's Total Quartz 5W-20, which I believe is a full synthetic.

A good quality filter is needed. OEM Hyundai or Napa Gold is good. The Napa part# is 1334. Crazy thing is this filter is same as what's used on my 1999 and 2000 CRVs and my 2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. This is an old filter design, but apparently works well... I'm glad it's not a cartridge filter. Those are so darn messy!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
A 5qt jug of Mobil 1 full synthetic can be purchased at Walmart for around 15.00 when on sale.
I like full synthetic for its stable viscosity especially during those cold winter months.
I do feel however given its super slippery nature that some of it does get by the rings and/or valve guide seals causing some oil consumption.
A small price to pay perhaps for its superior protection.
O.E.M. Hyundai/Kia/Mobis filters are cheap enough to warrant using them though there are many viable alternatives.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2020 Kia Soul 2.0 liter
Follow what it says in the Kia Owner's Manual for the car. Tell the dealer that they'll need to follow Kia's schedule or you'll let Kia know they won't follow it and then switch your service business to an independent shop or other Kia dealer who will follow the manual. Warranty comes from Kia, not the dealer - it's the Kia maintenance schedule you need to follow to preserve the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the point on the 12 months. I've had mine since July 2018, have 6100 miles on it and struggle on when to go in. I can't get out the door for under $250 if I want it done at Kia so I am not trying to go just to go.
Bummer I bought it in Florida and had to leave my lifetime free oil changed behind.

Hi Lisa, how long does it take you to drive the 3750 miles? If it's a year, then I'd go ahead and change at least every 12 months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like he says. ^^

I always do my first oil and filter at around 1000. Call me old school.

Then I roll over to about 5000 mile intervals. I switched to synthetic at 5000.
And KIA standard matters, as long as you stay inside the guidelines from KIA (owner's manual) you're good to go. Lots of dealers lie. A lot. But then that's how car dealers got their reputations, isn't it?

Meanwhile, enjoy your new car.
Old School ...but beloved by oil company stock holders!:p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like he says. ^^

I always do my first oil and filter at around 1000. Call me old school.

Then I roll over to about 5000 mile intervals. I switched to synthetic at 5000.
And KIA standard matters, as long as you stay inside the guidelines from KIA (owner's manual) you're good to go. Lots of dealers lie. A lot. But then that's how car dealers got their reputations, isn't it?

Meanwhile, enjoy your new car.
The oil change is set at 5000 miles on my 2020 soul. I think it can be set but I never tried. Thinking the dealer set it at that as that is when they suggest oil change. They won't be doing it, I will do it myself. Then I will know it has been done.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Thanks for the point on the 12 months. I've had mine since July 2019, have 6100 miles on it and struggle on when to go in. I can't get out the door for under $250 if I want it done at Kia so I am not trying to go just to go.
Bummer I bought it in Florida and had to leave my lifetime free oil changed behind.
$250.00 for an Oil change?
At that price, I can only imagine what the car must have cost you...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haha, the dealers here only do "packages" which to be honest is annoying (the $250 came with tire rotation which I actually needed but it has been 6 months and 900 miles so...) I really should get back at the game and do it myself by my shared garage isn't conducive to that unfortunately. Happy to pay any of you half that to do a better job, no dip-sticking allowed LOL

And I paid $16,000 to drive my brand new 2018 Soul+ off the lot thank you very much :)

$250.00 for an Oil change?
At that price, I can only imagine what the car must have cost you...

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
469 Posts
This isn't getting better. Reminds me of when someone described a football player as, "He's slow but he's small."
I know, the $125 offer for a forum member doing the oil & filter change, now includes a tire rotation :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
747 Posts
Haha, the dealers here only do "packages" which to be honest is annoying (the $250 came with tire rotation which I actually needed but it has been 6 months and 900 miles so...) I really should get back at the game and do it myself by my shared garage isn't conducive to that unfortunately. Happy to pay any of you half that to do a better job, no dip-sticking allowed LOL

And I paid $16,000 to drive my brand new 2018 Soul+ off the lot thank you very much :)
Where on Earth are you located? If ALL the dealers are charging that much, I'd be finding myself a local mechanic shop and keep receipts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where on Earth are you located? If ALL the dealers are charging that much, I'd be finding myself a local mechanic shop and keep receipts.
Los Angeles. I don't understand them only doing packages instead of oil changes, it truly is infuriating.

Whoever wants to throw in a car wash gets the whole $125 to themselves....going once...going twice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
does the soul have a maint. minder system like honda ? my crv will display a wrench icon and a service code when things are due .

obviously I could change oil earlier but it generally pops up after around 7000 kilometers and theres a countdown percentage wise that you can see by clicking the trip odometer forward until it shows oil life pctg. left .

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Define "Normal"! Do to the criteria for "Severe" (in the Kia owners manual) there is not one Kia in Florida operating under "Normal" (or, not Severe) operating conditions.
Here's what KIA says about it.

This is for the entire USA, not just Florida.

If you can honestly say that you NEVER drive in ANY of those conditions, you may be a 'Normal' driver. Fat Chance!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts