Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been following this forum for a couple years since I've owned my 2015 Kia Soul. Great to see such a good community of soul drivers (I've owned other cars that have scarce forums). I recently replaced my PCV valve and installed a catch can due to loosing about 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles, which is when I change the oil. I use full synthetic 5w-20 and the Kia OEM oil filter every time (i do all my own changes and usually write on the oil filter box top and keep for record). After driving about 350 miles (99% highway) since installing the catch can I decided to open it up for fun and see if anything collected. To my surprise it looked like someone dumped part of their Starbucks cappuccino in my can. It is about 1/2-3/4" full. The oil level did go down a bit on the dipstick, but still shows a nice amber/brown color. Coolant level hasn't changed a whole lot so I'm not sure if there is a gasket leak somewhere (confuses me since the dipstick color looks fine). Wasn't sure if anyone had any ideas? Appreciate any feedback!

Couple other things for history:
Purchased this Kia Soul + with 2.0 GDI certified preowned with 12k miles in 2017
Have added about 500ml of coolant to the resevoir tank (the amount it takes to get from the "L" line to the "F" line) since purchasing, not sure if this is normal or not.
63,000 miles are on the engine to date
I do my own oil changes at home every 5k miles with valvoline full synthetic 5w-20
Also noticed some "wet" areas on the back of the engine block on the belt drive side from some sort of oil leak last time I changed the oil (see last picture). Haven't noticed any oil drops on the garage floor yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have seen that oil color in my catchcan in the past, other times it has been dark. As far as consumption try upping the weight of your oil to 5w/30

·
Registered
497 Posts
The fluid that's collected in my OCC has only been dark since my installation a few months ago. But the coffee color is something that I've seen with others as well. Oil loss has not been an issue with my 2.0 engine (yet - currently at ~25K miles). Some other owners have reported oil loss between changes, but I'm not sure what amount is considered normal.

Side note: Any pics of how you mounted the OCC? Did you have to fabricate a bracket?

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
379 Posts
Dampness in the new install?
PCV, Catch can, tubing?
See what the next collection looks like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I dumped out what I've collected so far and will check again in a few days and see how it looks. It did appear to have some clear moisture that was separated a bit. Will also try 5w-30 next oil change (in another 1,000 miles). I don't think I really started to notice any substantial oil loss until about 40-50k miles.

Seemed like a lot of liquid in the catch can, it was close to half full after today before I dumped it (ran about 600miles total). Is this normal for anyone else with a catch can? Maybe a 1/4-1/3 cup total.

I'll attach pictures of the PCV catch can hose routing and also a close up showing how i mounted it (it came with a small bracket already installed and I just used a self tapping sheetmetal screw to secure it to the engine bay). Also putting a link to the catch can I used below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076BKV7JF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
379 Posts
I don't have a OCC.
I have seen a few postings of residue collected, your does seem excessive to me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dwkirch: I have the exact same catch can, installed about 2K miles ago. Just now unscrewed it and it has the same colored stuff as yours, but only about 1/4 inch at most. Very thin, has a slight odor of oil/gas. Also my oil is down about a pint or so....first time since I've had the car. Mileage is now about 37K.

Seems the amount in the cans are proportional to the amount of oil burned, doesn't it? As to the reason, I'm not very mechanical, but have to think the oil is escaping past the piston rings...worn rings or cylinder wall...no idea. Not very a comforting thought.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,470 Posts
The oil caught in my OCC is typically more like coffee without creamer.
So what you're saying is it's more like a Double Americana & less like a Half Caff Mocha Latte :coffee:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,470 Posts
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'll trust your descriptions!
Sorry Hank, in the NW we're steeped in coffee shops on every corner. It's so bad that it has percolated it's way into our vernacular :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not a fan of the piss-thin oil out there these days. Why don't you change it to 10-30 Syn blend and see if there's any improvement?

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl ~56K km (35K miles) Michelin CrossClimate tires
129 Posts
..... I recently replaced my PCV valve and installed a catch can due to loosing about 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil every 5,000 miles, which is when I change the oil.
An oil catch can might be a good idea for preventing or slowing future oil loss. But I fail to see how it would prevent the loss of 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil every 5K miles or eliminate the carbon buildup on the valves that might have caused the oil loss in the first place.

It might be an idea to try to determine the actual cause of the oil loss.

In our case, the level of the 5W20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic oil hardly moves at all in our 2.0 litre 2015 Soul, still at a modest 35K miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts