Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
UPDATE: It's been almost two years since I installed my Mishimoto knockoff OCC. During that time, I have driven approximately 12K miles and there have been four oil changes, and the OCC has performed beautifully. I would say it caught close to 1/2 cup of fluid in between oil changes.

I recently purchased/installed the OEM remote starter kit (It was one of those items that Kia is discounting heavily so I purchased it for $20 shipped as opposed to ~$250 ), and the kit required swapping out the stock hood latch with a slightly larger unit and using a hole along the radiator beam near where I installed the OCC to secure a wire. I had to relocate the OCC to an adjacent hole, but it had to be tilted slightly which I didn't like. I also had been looking for a different OCC that had a built-in dipstick which would make checking levels easier in between oil changes. So I opted for the Speedwow OCC w/Bronze Filter and Baffle unit.

I used a Dremel to cut down the provided mounting bracket; spray-painted it black and enlarged one of the holes to accommodate the bolt used to secure a grounding point in the engine bay near the passenger strut tower. It's a pretty clean install IMO. The hose that came with the kit is used for the inlet (smaller barb coupler fitting) to the PCV, and then I purchased some 5/8" hose for the outlet (larger barb coupler fitting) to throttle body connection

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've read the reviews on Amazon and they say that the inlet and outlet are labeled backwards. Did you have that issue? I suppose the hose connections on this unit are
to be made at same locations as your first OCC.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I've read the reviews on Amazon and they say that the inlet and outlet are labeled backwards. Did you have that issue? I suppose the hose connections on this unit are
to be made at same locations as your first OCC.
I remember reading those similar reviews of the inlet and outlet ports being mislabeled, and initially installed the Speedwow OCC with that in mind, but reversed them after realizing that mine weren't mislabeled. Inlet goes to PCV, and outlet goes to throttle body. It has held up great and I like the new install more since it's easier to check levels and dismount.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info. So the in/out labels are correct and as you said inlet goes to PCV and out to TB. Now, the place where you mounted that oil can, it looks like you had to drill some holes
and add the hardware (nuts/bolts) - That area where you have you OCC is bare on my 2019 Soul. Please explain how that was done. It looks daunting to me.
Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Automotive design
\

Edit: I took another look at your first picture and it looks like you use the bolt that holds the ground strap. I get that. The two bolts/screws on the top of the bracket,
Are they included with the kit? I hope that there isn't any drilling holes in the strut tower area.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for the info. So the in/out labels are correct and as you said inlet goes to PCV and out to TB. Now, the place where you mounted that oil can, it looks like you had to drill some holes
and add the hardware (nuts/bolts) - That area where you have you OCC is bare on my 2019 Soul. Please explain how that was done. It looks daunting to me.
View attachment 139820
No extra holes needed in the engine bay. Use the hole that secured the grounding wire. You can see in some of the up close shots that is what I used. I had to bore out the hole a bit more in the bracket that came with the OCC to accommodate the bolt used to secure the grounding wire. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, that makes sense. I am being cautious (Nervous) about all this and I saw that mounting bracket and the screw that went thru the bracket holes. I was going thru the motions to buy this on Amazon but had some reservations about it all. Just need to get some confidence that it will install okay. I only have 7K miles since I bought it new in Fall of 2018. I just hope that the hose connections on the throttle body end and PCV end are will go okay. I am retired Navy and don't drive it much, stays in garage most of the time. I have a pickup that I drive more then the Kia.

Edit: I just placed the order - and will be here in a few days. I hope you don't mind if I ask you questions or install questions later on when I get it. I appreciate it.
Thanks for sharing.
"Butch"

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yes, that makes sense. I am being cautious (Nervous) about all this and I saw that mounting bracket and the screw that went threw the bracket holes. I was going thru the motions to buy this on Amazon but had some reservations about it all. Just need to get some confidence that it will install okay. I only have 7K miles since I bought it new in Fall of 2018. I just hope that the hose connections on the throttle body end and PCV end are will go okay. I am retired Navy and don't drive it much, stays in garage most of the time. I have a pickup that I drive more then the Kia.

Edit: I just placed the order - and will be here in a few day. I hope you don't mind if I ask you questions or install questions later on when I get it. I appreciate it and you.
Thanks
"Butch"
Please don't hesitate to ask any and all questions. You can post here or send me a direct message as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My OCC came today. I was studying your bracket and am attaching photo of my bracket and what I think I will have to do to modify it like yours.

I hope that what you see in the photo is what I have to do to modify it like yours. How much of the 5/8" hose did you get?

Wood Font String instrument accessory Wood stain Denim

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
My OCC came today. I was studying your bracket and am attaching photo of my bracket and what I think I will have to do to modify it like yours.

I hope that what you see in the photo is what I have to do to modify it like yours. How much of the 5/8" hose did you get?
Your photo of how to modify the bracket is exactly what I did. I would recommended sanding down the edges afterwards. I also spray painted it black for aesthetics.

As far as the 5/8" hose length, I purchased 4 ft and trimmed down to size. Try to get PCV grade hose as some other types of hoses are thinner and may degrade/break down over time due to fuel vapor. Also, upon re-checking the photos I posted, the hoses are oriented incorrectly. The 5/8" hose should be on the "Out" port and connect to the throttle body. You will also notice that I used a heater hose in those photos for the 5/8" size. I swapped that for PCV shortly afterwards.

Hope that helps and your project goes smoothly. It was a fun little DIY, and quite satisfying to see the end result mounted, and see it collect the nasty fluid!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is the hose that came with the OCC good enough to use for the PCV side? Did you use it or did you get 1/2" PVC grade hose for that too? I will have to get the hose clamps in the
size you shown in the Utube video you shown

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Is the hose that came with the OCC good enough to use for the PCV side? Did you use it or did you get 1/2" PVC grade hose for that too? I will have to get the hose clamps in the
size you shown in the Utube video you shown
The hose that came with my kit was fine for this purpose so I used that. Hose clamps should be easy enough to find at any local or chain auto parts store, or even your local hardware store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased all the hoses needed and modified and painted the mounting bracket that came with the OCC kit to match yours. After I remove the PCV hose and install the OCC, did you attache the
hoses to the PCV and TB end first and then to the installed OCC or does it make a difference. With only that one ground strap 14MM bolt holding the OCC on, I wonder if there will be any back
and fort movement that may bend the bracket to the installed OCC after pushing on the hoses to the fittings on the OCC? That is a soft aluminum bracket and I have concerns about any bending
of the installed bracket after pushing on the hoses .

In the package of hardware that came with the OCC, what it the big O ring used for (spare)? Looks like two sets of fittings came with the package, I suppose
the two extra fittings are spare; and four small o rings. Are they used on the fittings? Do they just slide over the threads of the fittings or are they used at all?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I attached the hoses to the OCC first and then to the PCV and TB...I found it to be easier that way. I can't recall if I installed the OCC to the bracket first and then to the grounding point or not. The clearance is tight when I checked this morning. It may be just a wrench with small movements.

I vaguely remember the o-rings. Not sure if I used the big one or not. Does it come installed with the big one? I went out and checked the fittings and I don't see them on mine. I'm pretty sure I used plumber's tape on the fittings though. I may have used that instead of the smaller o-rings.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Post some pics when you're done!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Been hot here in N. FL as well...in the 100's. Changed out hood and tailgate struts last night in the garage and it felt like a sauna!

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, I got the occ on, and managed to get the original pcv hose off, that bottom clip was a real bear but I did get it off. Now comes the hose routing. The big hose (goes to the intake maniford)
look to be routed around the bottom of the throttle body hose then connected to the throttle body connector. There is what looks like a water hose or hose of some sort that is below that
throttle body connector and is limiting the room to get that 3/4 around and through to where is needs to be connected.

Also, in one of your pictures it looks like where the occ is the big hose is on the left and the little one on the right These look reversed from your other pictures.

I have the inlet on the left and the out on the right I want to make sure I have the hoses routed correctly before I cut any of the 3/4 hose. That was $2.50 a foot and got four feet.

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Vehicle Car Automotive design

It looks like the 3/4 hose went around the TB connector just before that hose that is connected to it. When I push it
down does which side of the water hose below did you route it.
Car Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay, I have it installed the OCC system minus the zip tie. I had to move the TB hose out of the way so that I could wrap the outlet hose (3/4") around that TB hose then reinstall the TB cover and then connect the outlet hose. I bought 4ft and had just enough - where it connects to the manifold inlet I was able to attach the hose clamp and secure that end of the hose. It looked like I could of use maybe half an inch more but there is enough hose there to do the job. I will take pictures tomorrow and post here.

I sure am glad that I studied the detail of that 3/4 hose as I was almost to anxious to cut off too much and saw that that hose needed to wrap around and under and over the TB hose. Whew!!!...
Using your pictures, I followed the over under detail of both hoses. I don't have any zip tie attached yet. I have a small bubble lever that I used for the OCC can. After all that sweating and
getting jabbed by hose clips, had to make sure the car starts..... It does.. Yea!!!!! The engine cover it still off, I'll take pictures tomorrow and post.

Thanks for your help. - BTW I just did an oil change two days ago so I am starting off clean. I don't think my dealer did my 1st complementary oil change as the oil was pretty dirty looking on the dip
stick. Now it is nice an gold color.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Sorry for chiming in late. Glad you got it all connected. Just make sure the bigger hose is connected to the OCC's "Out" port (to TB) and smaller hose to "In" and to PCV. I should take updated photos and replace the ones in this thread. I had read the review about the ports being mislabeled, so that's how I initially set it up, but I did some more research and it just didn't seem right so I switched the hose orientation. It collects fluid fine, so I'm just assuming it's kosher, although I don't drive a lot so it fills up between a 1/4 to 1/2 of the way every 3k miles/6 months when I do an oil change.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts