Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts

PARTS LIST

►Oil Catch Can: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8BSTHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTES: The oil catch can also comes with teflon tape that you'll want to apply to both fittings to avoid potential leaks. Apply 3 to 4 revolutions in the opposite direction of how you'll thread the fittings into the catch can.

►Armor Mark 3/8” Fuel Line Hose (purchase 20” and trim as needed): https://www.autozone.com/plumbing-hosing/rubber-hose/armor-mark-fuel-line-hose/4956_0_0

►Armor Mark 15/32” PCV Hose (purchase 36” and trim as needed): https://www.autozone.com/plumbing-hosing/rubber-hose/armor-mark-pcv-and-emission-hose/13693_0_0

►5/16” to 7/8” Hose Clamps | 4 pack: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/ideal-standard-type-f-hose-clamp-size-06-5203058/11865265-P
OR https://www.autozone.com/gaskets-and-miscellaneous-fasteners/hose-clamp/koehler-5-16in-to-7-8in-hose-clamp-4-pack/268458_0_0

►M6-1.00 x 16 Screw (optional as you can use the self-tapping screws provided in the oil catch can kit, but that would involve a little more work).

TOOLS LIST

►Needle nose pliers and/or regular pliers: to move stock pinch clamps
►Allen wrenches: (8mm, 2.5mm, and 5/32 if you use the M6-1.00 x 16 allen screw shown in video)*

EDIT
*4mm if you use the M6-1.00 x 16 allen screw shown in video. I used/said 5/32 in the video, but that was not an exact fit although it did the job. 4mm is the proper size.

►5/32 chainsaw file: to enlarge the oil catch can bracket hole for the M6-1.00 x 16 screw
►Flathead screwdriver: to help with removing stock hose off the PCV and intake manifold
►17mm deep socket: to tighten fittings into the oil catch can
►10mm socket: to loosen 2 intake hose screws
►1/4 socket or Phillips screwdriver: to loosen/tighten hose clamps
►WD-40 or oil: to lubricate the insides of the hoses to fit onto the fittings and intake manifold
►Sharp scissors or blade: to trim hoses to size

Any questions, please post.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the info, need to go buy my hoses and clamps.

Also it would be a 5mm wrench on the M6 bolt.

I'm going to put a 1/4 inch thick chunk of aluminum to mount between two of those radiator cross member threaded holes. Then I'll mount the catch can to that block of aluminum, probably with some #10-32 screws because I should have them in hand.

Then I need to make a mounting bracket for my extra fuse/relay box for my lights. Don't want to mount it on the right side of the engine, but no real choice.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, need to go buy my hoses and clamps.

Also it would be a 5mm wrench on the M6 bolt.

I'm going to put a 1/4 inch thick chunk of aluminum to mount between two of those radiator cross member threaded holes. Then I'll mount the catch can to that block of aluminum, probably with some #10-32 screws because I should have them in hand.

Then I need to make a mounting bracket for my extra fuse/relay box for my lights. Don't want to mount it on the right side of the engine, but no real choice.
You're welcome. All of my allen wrenches have somehow gotten mixed up over the years. I try to keep all of the metric sizes in one pouch and imperial sizes in another. 5/32 must've been the first one I grabbed that would turn the M6 screw/bolt. I'll see if I can find my 5mm one and it should be a better fit.

Your setup sounds like it will be fantastic! Please post pics and any tips/tricks you encountered along the way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Awesome writeup and video! I wish I still had my old vented Moroso can from my Civic- kinda big, but would work well for the Soul and not require emptying.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome writeup and video! I wish I still had my old vented Moroso can from my Civic- kinda big, but would work well for the Soul and not require emptying.
The Moroso catch can looks solid and nice. Doesn't look too much bigger than the Mishimoto knockoff. A simple bracket would allow you to mount it nicely in the Soul engine bay.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Moroso catch can looks solid and nice. Doesn't look too much bigger than the Mishimoto knockoff. A simple bracket would allow you to mount it nicely in the Soul engine bay.
The one that immediately popped up on Amazon wasn't the same that I used back when dinosaurs were still roaming the earth... mine was something like a foot tall and about 4-5 inches wide. Two inlets, vent on top through a filter, and a drain hose on the bottom to dump back into the block. I didn't feed it back into the intake manifold- just vented to atmosphere (not compliant with emissions rules).

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Really good pics & video instructions hank.

Your engine bay looks very clean & well taken care of.

How many miles now on your 2014? Have you had any issues to prompt installing the catch can or is this more for preventative measures?

Thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one that immediately popped up on Amazon wasn't the same that I used back when dinosaurs were still roaming the earth... mine was something like a foot tall and about 4-5 inches wide. Two inlets, vent on top through a filter, and a drain hose on the bottom to dump back into the block. I didn't feed it back into the intake manifold- just vented to atmosphere (not compliant with emissions rules).
LOL...kinda of like console and tube TVs vs today's flat panels?

Really good pics & video instructions hank.

Your engine bay looks very clean & well taken care of.

How many miles now on your 2014? Have you had any issues to prompt installing the catch can or is this more for preventative measures?

Thanks!
Thank you. Engine bay gets routinely dusted off with a brush...at least the areas that I can reach. The other hard-to-reach places look filthy...LOL.

I'm currently at ~19,700 miles. No issues to prompt installing a catch can. But from doing some research on here, YouTube, and FB...it seem like a fairly easy and economical (probably cost me $30-$35 for everything) thing to do to add an extra sense of peace with maintaining the Soul. Hopefully I hooked everything up right 😬.

I'll be sure to report back at my next oil change (in about 2K miles or couple months) to see if anything has collected.

·
Registered
416 Posts
LOL...kinda of like console and tube TVs vs today's flat panels?
Nah, just different application. I was generating waaaaaaaay more crankcase pressure than this little Kia 1.6, so more volume to support multiple inputs and an open top to relieve all pressure means it's going to be a bit bigger. ;) I didn't want to have to check and drain the can, so the hose at the very bottom just led back into the bottom of the block. No need to empty the catch can!

I'm currently at ~19,700 miles. No issues to prompt installing a catch can. But from doing some research on here, YouTube, and FB...it seem like a fairly easy and economical (probably cost me $30-$35 for everything) thing to do to add an extra sense of peace with maintaining the Soul. Hopefully I hooked everything up right 😬.

I'll be sure to report back at my next oil change (in about 2K miles or couple months) to see if anything has collected.
But you installed it to ward off GDI issues, right?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah, just different application. I was generating waaaaaaaay more crankcase pressure than this little Kia 1.6, so more volume to support multiple inputs and an open top to relieve all pressure means it's going to be a bit bigger. ;) I didn't want to have to check and drain the can, so the hose at the very bottom just led back into the bottom of the block. No need to empty the catch can!

But you installed it to ward off GDI issues, right?
Self maintenance catch can - yes!

Yes, in essence, to ward off the GDI issues (hopefully).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Self maintenance catch can - yes!

Yes, in essence, to ward off the GDI issues (hopefully).
That was the idea- with the amount of oil sloshing around in my valvetrain emptying it every time it filled up would have been a pain. Plus then your oil levels don't drop either. :)

I'm almost at 40k miles with my Soul- will probably walnut blast the intake and do the catch can at the same time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Got the can mount done today, but think I want to Anodize it before finishing. Also got most of my fuse/relay box mounted, needs another hole, then wire brush off some rust on the metal I used and paint.

Probably get to get the rest of the materials for the catch can, and install after I get my next oil change. Will be around 6000 miles then.

I'll get a picture of my can mount when I pull it off my phone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Enough to cake the valves.

I do have a question... My car has a second pcv that connects on the other can and goes to the intake just after the air filter. Do we know if that is an in, or an out pcv? If an out, shouldn't we also capture that line?

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
It looks like grandma needs to lay off the menthols hank!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Got the can mount done today, but think I want to Anodize it before finishing. Also got most of my fuse/relay box mounted, needs another hole, then wire brush off some rust on the metal I used and paint.
Just paint? Why anodize?
Enough to cake the valves.

I do have a question... My car has a second pcv that connects on the other can and goes to the intake just after the air filter. Do we know if that is an in, or an out pcv? If an out, shouldn't we also capture that line?
Without knowing what it is or seeing a pic, I'm going to assume anything going into the intake line after the filter is dumping into the intake path- that's how you keep a completely closed system between the intake and the exhaust outlet. I'd want to capture all of that mess and not feed it back into the intake at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your engine has it too, that hose connected to the intake up near the air box. I haven't pulled mine to see if there is oil in it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts