Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

oil burning & oil treatments

7K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  rburkett 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, i have 17 kia soul with 1.6 GDI engine (76K miles) and it suffers from burning oil so i thought id try the Schaeffer moly EP oil treatment and i recently changed the oil, using full synthetic 5W-30 oil (was using 20 before) and i put the entire pint bottle of the moly EP in, and filled up the oil to the full line on the dipstick, which should be about 3.8 qt for this specific engine. I am hoping that this oil treatment could help with the oil burning but wanted to get feedback on my situation. I surely don't want the oil treatment to have an negative impact on the engine.

#2 ·
You might want to consider a piston soak. It’s good you have switched to 5w30, keep using that as well.

Check out this thread and focus on the “for serious oil loss” and there’s some links on how to do a piston soak, and YouTube has a bunch too.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply. hopefully i don't have to go that far with the piston soak. i'll check the level at about 500 miles to see if this 30 oil and Moly EP oil treatment made any noticeable difference. i just was a little concerned that this thick oil treatment would have a negative effect on the GDI engine. But i had read someone posted that they added it to their oil and it did help with oil consumption so i picked up a bottle to at least try.

#4 ·
Let us know how the oil treatment works out. Like rhysoul says the piston soak is worth trying. My 2 cents is the Moly EP is more of a band-aid solution.

You can also see if the amount of oil consumption falls into the warranty category. There may be some remedy available from KIA.

Best of luck.

Reactions: rhysoul
#6 ·
My oil loss has gone down to trivial since switching to Castrol Edge High-Mileage a few oil changes ago. I'm guessing that whatever detergents they use cleared up deposits around the rings. I had to add oil after the first oil change with the high-mileage oil, but not since then. If I have time I'll scope the jugs when the weather warms up.

I'm about 2,000 miles into the most-recent oil change and the level is only down by about a quarter inch, which I'm estimating to be about six to eight ounces. Before the switch it would be down about a quart by the end of the OCI -- not horrid, but more than I like -- so at that rate it would be down about 20 - 24 ounces by now, more or less.

I also switched from Techron to the High-Mileage Gumout fuel system cleaner about a year ago, so that may also have something to to with it. I also had a combustion system cleaning done at the dealership before they replaced the CAT under warranty about 20,000 miles ago, but the oil consumption has gone down from what it was after that.

Richard

#10 · (Edited)
...I'm about 2,000 miles into the most-recent oil change and the level is only down by about a quarter inch, which I'm estimating to be about six to eight ounces. ...
Prior to changing the my oil this past weekend, the level on the dipstick was ¼" below Full - the lowest I've ever seen it so far (~ weekly oil level checks).

#8 ·
You might find some good info in this video from Project Farm on the various stop oil leak products.

#9 ·
that's quite an in-depth experiment , bravo to him!
also forgive my ignorance but wouldn't think leaking and burning the same. At least i have never noticed actual leaks under the vehicle, and the exhaust pipe is dirty. But apparently GDI engines are notorious for this behavior, which i know to avoid now.

#12 ·
Oil may be leaking past the piston rings into the combustion chamber. Sometimes that leads to that dirty carbon exhausting downstream into the catalytic converter and clogging it up. Some folks think of that as burning oil.

#21 ·
hey y'all, just an update on this, so with about 630 miles on this new oil change, im very surprised to see that the dip stick still looks full to me. When before, it would have gone down at least to the middle with this amount of miles... so maybe the 5w 30 oil is making the difference or it's the moly EP oil treatment, perhaps even both together. who knows really, but i'll check it again in another 500 miles or so and see how it looks. Interesting.
Musical instrument Asphalt Wood Road surface Musical instrument accessory

#22 ·
That's a step in the right direction! Be sure to keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

#23 ·
By way of update, I did the oil change this morning and it was down about 12 ounces over 3,496 miles. The only things I've done to address the burning were switch to Castrol Edge High-Mileage 5W-30, and switched my fuel system cleaner (typically done about the same time as the oil change) to Gumout Regane High-Mileage. That's it.

I've been using 5W-30 all along, so that had nothing to do with the improvement. There also are no leaks that I can find. I have to suspect that the cleaner and the detergents in the high-mileage oil brought about the improvement.

I actually leveled the car this time to get as exact a fill as I could. I'll take note of the loss at the next OCI, and probably scope the cylinders while I'm at it. It was too windy with too much debris flying around to do that today.

Richard

#24 ·
This would be good news if the high mileage Castrol could yield even better results on the next OC. I'm hoping you'll be down maybe 6oz Geek.

Thanks for conducting this test.

Reactions: GeekOnTheHill
#28 ·
well, another update from me, with now 1168 miles on this oil change, the dip stick still shows full level. I don't quite understand how, but I'm sure glad to see it! I'll keep checking every couple weeks or so. I think for the next oil change, I'll just use the same quaker state high mileage 5w-30 oil and skip the Moly EP additive to see how that round goes.

#29 ·
That's encouraging news. I'm wondering if there is any downside to running 'high mileage" oils in low mileage or new engines? Would it hurt them?

Next question would be if you are successful in arresting your oil depletion problem by using the HM oil, would you go back to using regular oil until/if depletion were to start again? :unsure:

#32 ·
Fantastic news. I'm hoping you get to a full OCI with zero depletion. Maybe the HM oil is conditioning & plumping up those seals, as well as being a good cleaning agent.

I'm a believer that fresh, clean oil flowing through these engines make them last a long time. It's something you can't cut corners on. The "secret sauce" if you will.

Kudos to you rburkett for taking action on your situation and keeping us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.