Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2011 Soul Base and got a deal on a Bluetooth radio from ebay. Everything seems to work just fine but when I tried to hook up a used OEM microphone to it I can't get it to hear me. I jacked into Connector C1 pins 1 and 2 that I could find online, which looks right as they run into a shielded style wire instantly just like the microphone. I've tried wires each direction, which should really matter but no luck. I tried wiring the mic into a cut off 3.5mm jack into the computer, it hears me even though the volume seems really low. Here's diagram I'm going off of which seemed correct for jacking into the wires for my sub amp.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,762 Posts
I honestly have never heard of anyone having luck with wiring to the onboard mic. I think it's designed to drive us crazy.

I hope you find a workaround for this. Would love to see a photo of your new bluetooth radio when installed.

All the best!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's unfortunate. I picked this up as a graduation gift and only have less than a week to do all the upgrades to it I wanted to do before delivery. BT Radio, Sub/amp, steering wheel with audio controls, pedals, center console tune up and a good cleaning.That being the case I'll probably stop messing with this radio and go after market. If this is typically a problem the radio is probably also wanting to see maybe the two CAN signals on connector C3 which I noticed were missing along with the E. Amp wires.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Swapping out a base radio for an OEM upgrade in KIAs is mostly impossible since unlike most manufacturers KIA uses a specific harness for the different models. Therefore in most cases there are harnesses missing making the swap problematic.

Pat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Swapping out a base radio for an OEM upgrade in KIAs is mostly impossible since unlike most manufacturers KIA uses a specific harness for the different models. Therefore in most cases there are harnesses missing making the swap problematic.

Pat.
Guess that's why radios on Ebay were so cheap. Looking over the wiring I'm leaning toward the radio requiring the Can connectivity since plenty of people have replaced their amps with after market ones with no problems. Unfortunately I couldn't find any pins in my drawer that work with that style connector or I might try it. I ended up just getting on crutchfield and getting an inexpensive Pioneer with the install kit. Extra money I wasn't going to spend but trying to make sure this thing is as safe as I can affordably make it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Guess that's why radios on Ebay were so cheap. Looking over the wiring I'm leaning toward the radio requiring the Can connectivity since plenty of people have replaced their amps with after market ones with no problems. Unfortunately I couldn't find any pins in my drawer that work with that style connector or I might try it. I ended up just getting on crutchfield and getting an inexpensive Pioneer with the install kit. Extra money I wasn't going to spend but trying to make sure this thing is as safe as I can affordably make it.
Ha! I just responded to your cruise control post over there. So I see you bought it for your kid/grandkid. You'll make yourself nuts trying to add stuff that wasn't there, so I'd just put the aftermarket in there and call it a day. If they don't like not having factory bluetooth and cruise control, they can always buy their own vehicle:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just replied to your other comment. I used to be all about aftermarket stuff as factory always sucked. Nowdays I'm amazed how much better the factory stuff works. I shoved a cheaper pioneer in this one and the reception and sound quality isn't even as good as the stock unit. Quality over bluetooth is about the same but radio wasn't. I gutted a factory mic and modified it with the Pioneer one and it's not the best but it works. If I had the time I would have found something else and used an aftermarket double din metra kit. The rental car Hyandai Sonata they gave me with android auto actually worked better than the high end pioneer I put in my Mini Cooper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts