Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone -
Although this is my first time posting, I've found a great deal of information on this site!
I was just wondering if there is any known way to change the odometer from Miles to Kilometres?? I know that sometimes it's a key combo, or the dealership can change it... any ideas? It's a digital display, so it should be reasonably easy... right??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Hey Everyone -
Although this is my first time posting, I've found a great deal of information on this site!
I was just wondering if there is any known way to change the odometer from Miles to Kilometres?? I know that sometimes it's a key combo, or the dealership can change it... any ideas? It's a digital display, so it should be reasonably easy... right??
are you from Barrie, Ontario? That's the way they come, why would you want to change it? As scirocco said, are you considering buying one from the US?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you from Barrie, Ontario? That's the way they come, why would you want to change it? As scirocco said, are you considering buying one from the US?
Just moved to Barrie from Tampa, FL... bought my Soul+ about a year ago down there, and now during the import process there is some question about whether the odo needs to be in KM. I've also had to do daytime running lights - but I bought a module from Canadian Tire that should work nicely!! LOVE my Soul and don't want to give it up, so I need to get these mods done!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ontario.

Don't the speedos on the Souls show BOTH miles and Kilometers?
If you look under your miles, there's another set of speeds. Those are kilometers.
According to this image of a 2012 dash, they are both on the speedo:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Marc, the question is about the odometer. The owners manual says that the odomter and trip odometers are miles of KM but does not tell one how to swtich. But since it is a microchip, one would think it could be changes. Whatever it is (chip may have to be replaced), it affects all the fuel calculations, etc.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
welcome to Ontario, if you are already here with your vehicle then you must be okay and met the necessary requirements to bring the vehicle into Canada. Is it necessary to have the odometer to read kilometers as a requirement or is it just your own convenience?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welcome to Ontario, if you are already here with your vehicle then you must be okay and met the necessary requirements to bring the vehicle into Canada. Is it necessary to have the odometer to read kilometers as a requirement or is it just your own convenience?
When I went to Kia here in Barrie, they told me that I needed to have Daytime Running Lights installed, something with my ignition, and the odometer switched to km? The quoted me $4500 for the parts and labour, which made me freak out. But I just installed a DRL module from Canadian Tire (which I purchased for $40). I don't think I have to have the ignition thing done, and I wasn't sure about the odometer... thought it was worth checking out.

For the record, I highly recommend NOT bringing a car from the US to Canada - it has turned out to be a HUGE pain in the butt. I would have sold it in the US and bought a new one here if I had known!

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
isn't it the requirement of Canada customs in order to bring the vehicle into Canada, as to what has to be done.

However, its good to know particular if anyone is considering purchasing a new vehicle in the US and bringing it back to Canada, thinking they may save a lot of money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) customsnwillnlet you bring just about anything into Canada, after charging you for the privilege, and require you to make mods on your own. It's up to you to have the vehicle inspected to determine the mods needed and have them done at your expense. Some cars require work on their ignition, airbags and child seat anchor system... This can be very pricey.

I just had mine inspected with the $40 DRL module, and it passed. So far, I'm out about $500 for all the fees, taxes and modifications. I have to get another inspection (this one for licensing/registration) and pay the required fees + PST.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
$500 isn't so bad, we probably pay 3 times that in Canada for pretty much the same car. Though ours seem to have extra features.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don"t try taking a Canadian Kia to the United States , depending on the State they want you to remove the day time running lights, desensitize the airbags and a bunch of other stuff and doin"t expect HELP from KIA Canada or U.SA.
Last time I will give my trade in to my son too much of a hassel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I work at an automotive repair shop here in Toronto and my bosses bring in cars from the states to sell once in a while. My boss says he has never heard of the odometer having to be changed to KM. The DTRL yes, the odometer no. And I have a couple of friends who have brought motorcycles up from the States and never had to have the odometer changed. Sounds to me like you getting the Barrie two step.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts