Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013Soul exclaim that I purchased used last year. It had 52k on the clock, now 58k. This car was mint inside and out most definitely garage kept and very well maintained with records. I noticed that once in awhile it would run a little bit rough at idle.Given that direct injection has a tendency to carbon up the valves despite continuing fuel treatment/routine maintenance, I decided to try the " Italian Tune up ". The results were a bit frightening. I accelerated to 30mph on a flat stretch of road and then floored it. The car launched like a rocket ! When I peeked in my rear view all I could see was a massive cloud of yellowish, gray smoke like I hit a smokescreen button. Knowing about how the motors like to grenade themselves, I was reluctant to do this but it seems to have worked. The idle isn't rough anymore and seems to be running quite smoothly. I've performed a hard acceleration a few days later with no noticeable smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Maybe it needed this and maybe I got very lucky, damn lucky that the motor didn't explode. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have a 2013Soul exclaim that I purchased used last year. It had 52k on the clock, now 58k. This car was mint inside and out most definitely garage kept and very well maintained with records. I noticed that once in awhile it would run a little bit rough at idle.Given that direct injection has a tendency to carbon up the valves despite continuing fuel treatment/routine maintenance, I decided to try the " Italian Tune up ". The results were a bit frightening. I accelerated to 30mph on a flat stretch of road and then floored it. The car launched like a rocket ! When I peeked in my rear view all I could see was a massive cloud of yellowish, gray smoke like I hit a smokescreen button. Knowing about how the motors like to grenade themselves, I was reluctant to do this but it seems to have worked. The idle isn't rough anymore and seems to be running quite smoothly. I've performed a hard acceleration a few days later with no noticeable smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Maybe it needed this and maybe I got very lucky, damn lucky that the motor didn't explode. Thoughts?
The 2013 2.0L was not yet GDI, that happened in 2014

Maybe the previous owner drove the car like a little old lady and all it needed was for you to get on the GO pedal to blow out the cobwebs.

A very old hamster once said, “If you break your car in FAST it will always go fast, but if you break your car in slow, it will never go fast”.

😎

PS: a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank a couple of times a year wouldn’t hurt either. It will help clean the injectors, combustion chamber, and in your case, the intake valves too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had some "rough idle" on 2016 base manual (posted on here). I've used the above product and Lucas. I finally tried AMSOIL. It's not cheap...but it did help much better than the others....IMHO. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thoughts:

Normally, highway speeds should be enough to keep the engine relatively clean. Using a heavy foot on the on ramps -- a good idea for safety reasons -- should be sufficient to do the job. But yeah, ain't nothing' wrong with an Italian Tune Up.

Those of us who live in hilly and mountainous regions perform Italian Tune Ups on a regular basis without even thinking about it.

Otherwise:

• Clean the intake throttle body/butterfly valve with a can of spray cleaner designed specifically for that job. Use a soft cotton cloth and toothbrush and be careful not to leave anything behind. This easy to do with good lighting and patience. I do this on both our MPI 4X4 and GDI 2015 Soul roughly once a year or as required. It can noticeably help smooth idling and acceleration.
  • Either clean or replace the PCV valve. (Easy to do even with my meat-hook hands.)
  • Always buy top tier gasoline.
  • Do the next oil change sooner than later given all the crap you just blew out your engine as some of that likely ended up in the motor oil. Consider replacing with top quality extended performance synthetic oil. Consider adding a fuel injector cleaner as rhysoul suggested one full tank of fuel before changing the oil.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thanks for the input.I was planning on a Sea foam cleaner that goes in the intake just for good measure
I would be very, very careful with applying Sea Foam. Destroyed a catalytic converter on a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder doing that.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
25 Posts
I've been using Techron for over 20 years in my cars and have NEVER had a fuel injector problem. I alternate the Fuel Injector Cleaner and the Complete Fuel System Cleaner every 10,000 miles when I change my oil. It's the only cleaner recommended by some of the car manufacturers. Being a Mopar guy, I know that Mopar recommends it. I'm not sure about Kia, but I figure if it's good enough for a hemi, it's good enough for my 2.0.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts