Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
@Soulsofmyfeet, yes I’ve experienced the same problem. I bought a 2020 Kia Soul 4 weeks ago and after the first week started noticing the brakes “sticking”. Whenever I’d remove my foot from the brake after slowing down the car would still keep slowing down as if the brakes were applied. Consequentially, when I then pressed the accelerator the car would jerk forward as if the brakes were “stuck” or still engaged momentarily. The longer I drive (usually after 10 min) the more pronounced this problem becomes. It’s particularly unnerving when I’m stuck in 10 mph traffic and need to change lanes. The car takes an extra second to “jerk” into gear after releasing the brakes.

I’ve brought the car in to the dealership’s service department for this issue 3 times in as many weeks of owning the car and they keep insisting nothing’s wrong. Even after the mechanic drives it himself with me in the car and we both experience it. They claim it’s a transmission thing and it happens over a certain rpm, which is bs cause it happens whether I’m going 40mph or 5mph.

I am taking my car into a 3rd party mechanic tomorrow to see what’s the real issue then take it to Kia.
Hi Idreadnot. Please keep me updated on how that goes and what is ultimately figured out. It is at least good to know from a personal standpoint that I am not just imagining the problem. What you describe fits my issue just about perfectly. It was hard to describe but I think you nailed it. I wish neither one of us had the issue though and we were just chatting about how cool our cars look. :) Good luck with your next appointment and I hope you get it figured out. I have had mine back twice but it doesn't exhibit the problem when anyone else is around. Typical... Lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
after the first week started noticing the brakes “sticking”. Whenever I’d remove my foot from the brake after slowing down the car would still keep slowing down as if the brakes were applied.
I have had mine back twice but it doesn't exhibit the problem when anyone else is around
My sportage had a brake caliper sticking on it's slides. It caused the brakes to drag and heat up. The more heat the more drag. If you have a non-contact laser thermometer you could take a reading before/after a drive cycle. Tire surface, rim, rotor, caliper.
I bought mine for less than $10, most retail, home improvement, and auto stores carry a version. Mine has a funnel target system so the closer I am to an object the more specific the reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Idreadnot. Please keep me updated on how that goes and what is ultimately figured out. It is at least good to know from a personal standpoint that I am not just imagining the problem. What you describe fits my issue just about perfectly. It was hard to describe but I think you nailed it. I wish neither one of us had the issue though and we were just chatting about how cool our cars look. :) Good luck with your next appointment and I hope you get it figured out. I have had mine back twice but it doesn't exhibit the problem when anyone else is around. Typical... Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Soulsofmyfeet, I brought my car in to a 3rx party mechanic this morning making sure to drive it for about 20 min before I got there to “warm it up”. But that wasn’t enough to get the problem really pronounced, we didn’t really feel it. On the other hand I mentioned to him an issue I have the first week with the “engine stop” feature which shuts your engine off momentarily while you’re at a full stop. The issue being one time at a red light, the engine never came back on after I released the brake. I even pressed the gas and nothing happened. I eventually had to put on my hazzards and turn it off then restart it with the key. When I took it to the dealership they said it could have been because the battery’s charge was low from being in storage for so long (a 2020 car?) and it would be ok once the battery charged up again. Since then I would always drive with that feature turned off.
This morning the mechanic suggested the two issues (engine stop and sticking brake) may be connected. He said the battery should have charged the first day of driving. He suggested I drive with that feature on to see if it happens again. The funny thing was when I did and drove the hour to work I didn’t notice the stick brake “shuttering” issue.

It’s still too early to tell if that was itdo I’ll update you next week. Regardless if it is it’s still troubling because that feature shouldn’t dictate the proper operation of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
My sportage had a brake caliper sticking on it's slides. It caused the brakes to drag and heat up. The more heat the more drag. If you have a non-contact laser thermometer you could take a reading before/after a drive cycle. Tire surface, rim, rotor, caliper.
I bought mine for less than $10, most retail, home improvement, and auto stores carry a version. Mine has a funnel target system so the closer I am to an object the more specific the reading.
Hi Manfreity. That is food for thought. Thank you for the information. My brakes do tend to sound loud when I brake from a high speed at times and I have wondered if that is normal. That was not something I noticed in my 2018 but my 2020 has bigger tires so not sure on that. They work fine but now I think I will try out your theory and see if this is a somehow connected issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was also kinda noticing hesitation after turning. Im keeping and eye on it but glad to know im not the only one! I just got this car 5 days ago! 🙄

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is very interesting to me I just noticed some hesitation today and also I stepped on the gas and for a second nothing happened at all. I'm not sure the dealer will be able to do anything unless it shows a check engine light. It only happened once today for the first time I will see what happens tomorrow. Glad I have you guys to talk to

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
I know this is going to sound crazy... Try turning off the traction control, and driving around as normal for a day to see if it still cuts out.

I've actually noticed this as well, but I don't know if it's for the same reasons. Mine likes to cut power when making a turn because the turbo is a bit over anxious at times and it likes to spin the wheels a little. So, traction control kicks in and cuts power. I know you have the 2.0/ivt, but it's worth a try to see if that is what is happening.
I had this exact experience today in my 2010, going around the corner then hitting the gas enough to spin the tires slightly. The traction control kicked in just as you described above......a hesitantion then a burst of power when the traction control disengaged.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I drove 120 miles today. I got 10000 miles on the car. And all of a sudden I'm getting hesitation.. From stop signs and red lights I'm going to run by the dealer tomorrow morning if it's still happening.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've had a situation exactly like what was posted by the OP.

What was happening, was that it's really easy for my car to spin the front tire, just a little, when accelerating into a corner, like when pulling out onto a highway from a side road. Our tendency is usually to MASH the gas pedal. The front tire will slip just enough to trigger the Anti Spin Control, and it will kill the power from the engine, just enough to stop the spin. Then the power will come back on. It can be scary as heck to a new IVT driver.
I've written about it several times on this forum.

You can stop all that by just pressing the little button on the left switch panel to disable the Anti Spin Control. It should light a little yellow indicator on the dash panel when activated. Then you can spin your wheels all you want and you won't get that annoying loss of power. OK?
You must press that button again, each time you start your car. Annoying, but it works.

Cheers mate!
FLH :cool:

61 - 72 of 72 Posts