Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
.....and now back to your regularly scheduled program.

I already have three Kia oil filters, I'm going with Castrol Edge 5w-30. I researched Total and it's expensive and no doubt the Castrol Edge will do everything it needs to have done.

Triumph motorcycles partnered with Castrol so my Rocket gets it, my wife has a Can Am Spyder and the Spyder people like Castrol also, so now the Kia will get it and next change my Ford Ranger will get it. My Victory still gets Rotella T5 until my supply runs out then I'll switch.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Recently saw 5 quart bottles of Rotella full synthetic (truck/towing spec) oil for under $13 at Home Depot. Great price and wonder what is truly different in that "formula".

Greg

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Maybe 50% Dino oil. ???
We had one oil expert come on the forum some time back, and testified that all synthetic oil contains Dino Oil.
KIA doesn't recommend it, so I've never used it (Synthetic Oil).
When I was doing my own oil changes, (on my 2013 Soul, 1.6L) I generally used Castrol GTX.
Right now, my dealer is using Havoline Blend oil. And, they use the 5W20 in my car. It works!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I wonder how that snuck in there? I had never even heard of it, till someone mentioned it here.
Evidently, KIA doesn't tell it's dealers about it either, because they sure as heck don't use it.
Maybe it's popular in Korea, but not here!

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
362 Posts
I wonder how that snuck in there? I had never even heard of it, till someone mentioned it here.
Evidently, KIA doesn't tell it's dealers about it either, because they sure as heck don't use it.
Maybe it's popular in Korea, but not here!
Maybe the local dealerships are simply catering to the information set and current understanding of customers? That would not be the first time.

Top quality synthetic oils are often made from natural gas.

The advantages of synthetic motor oils are now well known and widely recognized FLM. Granted, oil choice may not be quite as critical as frequently checking and topping up, regularly changing oil and filter, as well as cleaning or replacing emission components.

Remember all those stories way back in the day of motorists who started experiencing oil leaks when switching to synthetic oil? That should have been a strong hint for non-believers that synthetic oils were doing a better job of keeping the engine clean.

Anybody living in a colder climate who does not use synthetic motor oil is simply asking for more engine wear. The same applies to folks in warm climates though the engine wear may not be quite as severe.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,395 Posts
A little slick reading from Car & Driver

Synthetic oil
is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil. Jun 23, 2020

Synthetic Oil: Everything You Need To Know.

Reactions: westslope

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
362 Posts
Good piece GeoSoul.

Pasted:

Synthetic Oil Change Interval

Most synthetic oils are rated to last between 10,000 to 15,000 miles, or six months to a year. Manufacturer recommended ratings are typically applied to "normal driving," and don’t reflect severe driving conditions that may require more frequent oil changes.

If you drive less than 10 miles a day and don’t drive on highways, you may need to change your oil more often because your engine likely isn't heating up to a temperature high enough to boil off condensation that accumulates in the system, and therefore your oil can break up more quickly and need replacement often. In such cases, it may be a good idea to change your oil sooner than your rated mileage recommendations.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
815 Posts
Good piece GeoSoul.

Pasted:

Synthetic Oil Change Interval

Most synthetic oils are rated to last between 10,000 to 15,000 miles, or six months to a year. Manufacturer recommended ratings are typically applied to "normal driving," and don’t reflect severe driving conditions that may require more frequent oil changes.

If you drive less than 10 miles a day and don’t drive on highways, you may need to change your oil more often because your engine likely isn't heating up to a temperature high enough to boil off condensation that accumulates in the system, and therefore your oil can break up more quickly and need replacement often. In such cases, it may be a good idea to change your oil sooner than your rated mileage recommendations.
Don’t forget to Evaporate

Oil level’s fine and the gas is right
Goin’ take Betsy for a ride tonite
Get her engine warm, get her engine hot
Gonna run for awhile till it feels just right

Go’in for a drive tonight

Don’t want no sludge in her bottom
Or emulsion in the can

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well that settles it. Your engine is about to blow! :D The recommended oil is Total Quartz - full synthetic. No semi-synthetic Havoline. Your engine is about to explode, sphincter boy. Oh I also included the Oil Viscosity Guide - and you can clearly see that Synthetic 5W-20 & 5W-30 are both acceptable in our engines in all temperature ranges... now that's if you are using the recommended oil - which is synthetic. But - go ahead and blow your engine up with that substandard semi-synthetic garbage. PLUS - You live in Florida. The manual clearly states that in colder climates a lower viscosity oil is recommended. In HOT climates a higher viscosity oil is recommended. They got your oil backwards. A 5W-30 full synthetic is what you need. A 5W-20 semi-synthetic is what you got - and you run the piss out of it - so the hotter dino oil thins out, before they evaporate and thicken up as the conventional oils cook off in vapor. So your dealer doesn't use the RECOMMENDED oil, which IS Total Quartz (full synthetic) at a viscosity that isn't suited for the temperatures in Florida. Good luck with that. Keep on with the BS posts about something you clearly know nothing about.

I've included a couple of snippets from our 2020 Soul manual for proof... Pages 8-6 & 8-7

Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
108 Posts
Well that settles it. Your engine is about to blow! :D The recommended oil is Total Quartz - full synthetic. No semi-synthetic Havoline. Your engine is about to explode, sphincter boy. Oh I also included the Oil Viscosity Guide - and you can clearly see that 5W-20 & 5W-30 are both acceptable in our engines in all temperature ranges... now that's if you are using the recommended oil - which is synthetic. But - go ahead and blow your engine up with that substandard semi-synthetic garbage. PLUS - You live in Florida. The manual clearly states that in colder climates a lower viscosity oil is recommended. In HOT climates a higher viscosity oil is recommended. They got your oil backwards. A 5W-30 full synthetic is what you need. A 5W-20 semi-synthetic is what you got - and you run the piss out of it - so the hotter dino oil thins out, before they evaporate and thicken up as the conventional oils cook off in vapor. So your dealer doesn't use the RECOMMENDED oil, which IS Total Quartz (full synthetic) at a viscosity that isn't suited for the temperatures in Florida. Good luck with that. Keep on with the BS posts about something you clearly know nothing about.

I've included a couple of snippets from our 2020 Soul manual for proof... Pages 8-6 & 8-7

View attachment 135293

View attachment 135294
Who are you talking to?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Who are you talking to?
FLHamster - He keeps peddling misinformation about oils. Claims to be a retired engineer. Also he called some people "rectums". LOL! He's a salty old dude down in Fla.

·
Registered
192 Posts
He peddles a lot of hot air.
Yes he does - quite a curious case. He acts like an authority on all things - but his advice is usually patently incorrect and could possibly cause engine damage. The stories he's told about Kia Service is just comical. LOL!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts