Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Where do you see that decal? Maybe it is just your dealership or State? I checked my last service (free new car purchase add-on) receipt, and it indicates "Mastertech" oil, which I cannot find online, and doesn't indicate grade.
Right on top the air filter.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
There was NO SUCH decal/sticker on my car....either one of them. (2013 or 2020)
My dealer used to use a Shell Blend, and now they use a Havoline Blend. Still good stuff!

:cool:

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
43 Posts
Right on top the air filter.
Again, hiding things in plain sight!
When I searched Total Quartz it seems they don't offer much in the US, according to their website map to find product. Whatever the case, I believe my dealer is using synthetic blend (possible used that they ran through a coffee filter) for my free oil changes...

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
Again, hiding things in plain sight!
When I searched Total Quartz it seems they don't offer much in the US, according to their website map to find product. Whatever the case, I believe my dealer is using synthetic blend (possible used that they ran through a coffee filter) for my free oil changes...
Haha! Be worried if the receipt says "Mr. Coffee 5w-20 blend!"

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX, Gravity Gray
50 Posts
For what it's worth, the 2020 US owner's manual also "Recommends" Total Quartz brand... there is a small logo in the chart on page 8-6. No specific product is specified. My dealer said they use a synthetic blend.
Image 9-17-20 at 1.29 PM.jpeg

I also have the sticker in my engine compartment...

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
43 Posts
For what it's worth, the 2020 US owner's manual also "Recommends" Total Quartz brand... there is a small logo in the chart on page 8-6. No specific product is specified. My dealer said they use a synthetic blend. View attachment 134846

View attachment 134847
This is really a curious thing. I search Total Quartz Kia and see that have a formal "alliance", though on my receipt for the 2 oil changes done I don't see Total Quartz referenced, but rather Mastertech bulk oil. Searching "Mastertech", while I find no results with Kia included, they show as a Vehicle Protection Program, which I guess refers to the add-on I was forced to buy in order to get my interest rate (on loan) reduced. So maybe Mastertech works with Total Quartz a bulk oil for the dealership? I'm old, this makes my head spin.

Bottom line, I presumed that they would be using full synthetic, which I thought Total Quartz was all about, but as you suggest, maybe not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For what it's worth, the 2020 US owner's manual also "Recommends" Total Quartz brand... there is a small logo in the chart on page 8-6. No specific product is specified. My dealer said they use a synthetic blend.

View attachment 134847
So I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There was NO SUCH decal/sticker on my car....either one of them. (2013 or 2020)
My dealer used to use a Shell Blend, and now they use a Havoline Blend. Still good stuff!

:cool:
You need to learn the secret handshake.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You need to learn the secret handshake.

View attachment 134851
Dang! Absolutamente, correctomunco! There it is, Hiding in plain site!
I've probably looked right at it, a hundred times, but never knew exactly why it was there, and really didn't care, since I'm not changing my own oil.
My dealer sure never paid any attention to it!
Now I'll peel it off, and replace it with the K&N Sticker.

With that little job done, I'm now ready for a test drive.
Catch ya later, guys!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Total Quartz 9000 Future Ecob 5w20 195027 can be found on Amazon but not at AutoZone, Advance Auto, or O'Reilly's. Total Lubricants (QUARTZ 9000 FUTURE XT 5W-20 | TOTAL lubricants catalogue) makes it. States: "Particularly well-suited for use with the latest 'Downsized' engines equipped with Stop & Start technologies and hybrid engines these oils are able to service a wide scope of engines thanks to the API and ISLAC sequences. With its low phosphorus content optimizes the way in which three-way catalytic converters operate, preventing them from getting damaged through poisoning. "

Besides that, has the typical energy saving statements.

The 2020 Soul manual for non-turbo 2 L engines has a note below the oil recommendations saying "*2. Engine oils labeled Energy Conserving Oil are now available. Along with other additional benefits, they contribute to fuel economy by reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction. Often, these improvements are difficult to measure in everyday driving, but in a year's time, they can offer significant cost and energy savings."

In a reference provided by an earlier post to KIA RECOMMENDS TOTAL, it mentions Total Lubricants and Kia renewed their agreement:
"-On March 2016, Kia Motors Corporation and Total Lubricants extended their strategic partnership agreement. For another 5 years, Total will remain Kia Motors Corporation’s preferred aftermarket lubricants supplier for Kia vehicles. Total branded automotive lubricants will be exclusively recommended and available to customers across Kia’s service network of more than 5,500 dealers in around 180 countries, including West European markets from January 1st, 2017.
-The extension of the initial cooperation, which started in 2011, extends benefits to all Kia vehicles owners and Kia dealers. The Kia networks will receive access to high-performance Total Quartz engine oils, specifically developed to optimize Kia engines’ performance, reliability and offers potential fuel economy benefits*. Kia and Total will also develop joint marketing service programs aiming at increasing Kia dealers’ profitability, customer retention and customer satisfaction."

---So with all this in mind I think Kia service reps. simply don't know what the oil is they're using. They may think it's bulk from Mastertech or something else just because that was the historical product prior to this 2016 agreement. I called two dealers and one never heard of Total Quartz and said topping off your oil only requires using the correct weight. The second dealer, actually it was the parts guy, did know of Total Quartz and said it comes out of the hose when they change your oil.

I will put any brand of tires I like, and muffler, and gasoline, but will follow the owners manual because I like the idea of an Ecob oil, especially as my Soul EX has that goofy start-stop tech.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Buy any SP-certified 5w30 synthetic oil and what's most important for these four cylinder engines that South Korea distributes, is using a a 4k OCI agenda. Change frequently and never let the dipstick get more than a half-quart low.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buy any SP-certified 5w30 synthetic oil and what's most important for these four cylinder engines that South Korea distributes, is using a a 4k OCI agenda. Change frequently and never let the dipstick get more than a half-quart low.
It's 5w20 for a 2020 EX. And you're part right. If you want the better performance for start-stop engines as well, use the recommended oil described in the manual with ECO attributes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Total Quartz 9000 Future Ecob 5w20 195027 can be found on Amazon but not at AutoZone, Advance Auto, or O'Reilly's. Total Lubricants (QUARTZ 9000 FUTURE XT 5W-20 | TOTAL lubricants catalogue) makes it. States: "Particularly well-suited for use with the latest 'Downsized' engines equipped with Stop & Start technologies and hybrid engines these oils are able to service a wide scope of engines thanks to the API and ISLAC sequences. With its low phosphorus content optimizes the way in which three-way catalytic converters operate, preventing them from getting damaged through poisoning. "

Besides that, has the typical energy saving statements.

The 2020 Soul manual for non-turbo 2 L engines has a note below the oil recommendations saying "*2. Engine oils labeled Energy Conserving Oil are now available. Along with other additional benefits, they contribute to fuel economy by reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction. Often, these improvements are difficult to measure in everyday driving, but in a year's time, they can offer significant cost and energy savings."

In a reference provided by an earlier post to KIA RECOMMENDS TOTAL, it mentions Total Lubricants and Kia renewed their agreement:
"-On March 2016, Kia Motors Corporation and Total Lubricants extended their strategic partnership agreement. For another 5 years, Total will remain Kia Motors Corporation’s preferred aftermarket lubricants supplier for Kia vehicles. Total branded automotive lubricants will be exclusively recommended and available to customers across Kia’s service network of more than 5,500 dealers in around 180 countries, including West European markets from January 1st, 2017.
-The extension of the initial cooperation, which started in 2011, extends benefits to all Kia vehicles owners and Kia dealers. The Kia networks will receive access to high-performance Total Quartz engine oils, specifically developed to optimize Kia engines’ performance, reliability and offers potential fuel economy benefits*. Kia and Total will also develop joint marketing service programs aiming at increasing Kia dealers’ profitability, customer retention and customer satisfaction."

---So with all this in mind I think Kia service reps. simply don't know what the oil is they're using. They may think it's bulk from Mastertech or something else just because that was the historical product prior to this 2016 agreement. I called two dealers and one never heard of Total Quartz and said topping off your oil only requires using the correct weight. The second dealer, actually it was the parts guy, did know of Total Quartz and said it comes out of the hose when they change your oil.

I will put any brand of tires I like, and muffler, and gasoline, but will follow the owners manual because I like the idea of an Ecob oil, especially as my Soul EX has that goofy start-stop tech.
They are proud of it!!

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
108 Posts
Last week I got an oil change at my Kia dealership and to my surprise they used Castrol 2/20 blend.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
There is certainly Nothing wrong with Castrol. I used mostly Castrol GTX 5W20, in my Gen-1 Soul, when I was doing my own oil changes.

It seems like every dealer buys the oil that they can get at the lowest price. Nothing wrong with that.
As long as they are using a Brand Name Oil, I'm down with that!
Cheers Mates,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've been using Valvoline Modern Engine 5W-30. I had some jugs left over from my Stinger. It's a great oil and developed for modern engines after 2012. I used it in my Stinger because of it's Turbo/GDI protection so it's kinda overkill in the Soul's normally aspirated 147 HP engine.

I'll be switching on my next oil change to Kirkland (Warren) 5W-20 full synthetic from Costco. That's what I use in my other cars - except the VW Bug TDI which requires an oil that meets VW 507 00 requirements so I use Amsoil ESP in that. What a PITA!

I'm also buying Napa Gold 1334 filters by the case since 4 out of my 5 cars use the same filter. :)

21 - 40 of 75 Posts