Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all noticed at least on the Gen3 Souls is the decal saying Kia recommends Total Quartz oil but it doesn't say what formula. Looks to me like 9000 energy but I'm not totally for sure. I'm not saying I'm going to use it but I am considering it.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
It's weird if Kia partnered with them in 2011, why do their dealers use (in my case) Mobil bulk oil? It seems it would be a dealer agreement to use "Kia's Recommended Brand."

·
Registered
130 Posts
We've all noticed at least on the Gen3 Souls is the decal saying Kia recommends Total Quartz oil but it doesn't say what formula. Looks to me like 9000 energy but I'm not totally for sure. I'm not saying I'm going to use it but I am considering it.

Both Kia dealers near me use Kia Total Quartz Semi-Syn in 5w20 for the 2.0 MPI engine.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
820 Posts

Once you've spent time on these forums you'll find out from our collective "oil enthusiasts", some who are very well-read and experienced on all things oil, you'll learn that there's actually very little difference between the top shelf synthetic oils. Here's some good oil knowledge from our own resident oil knowledge base, GeekOnTheHill:

I haven't researched them lately, but generally speaking, most companies' top-shelf products are fine if they meet the manufacturer specs. It's hard to go wrong with M-1, though.

I haven't used the Valvoline Advanced nor looked at recent test results, so I really can't speak from experience on it.

With GDI engines, it's all about volatility and deposit-forming tendency. All the high-end synthetic oils have good lubricity, VI, detergency, and so forth. With GDI engines (and even more so T/GDI engines), however, the carbon buildup is the major concern. That's why I emphasize Noack and TEOST values for GDI and T/GDI engines. Any top-shelf oil will lubricate well, so the "best" of those oils are the ones that will contribute least to carbon buildup.

I also tend to prefer oils that meet the European ACEA standard specified by the engine manufacturer. ACEA specs tend to be more detailed and somewhat stricter than the US SAE/API specs. Of course, for warranty purposes, the oil also has to meet the standards of the owner's nation of residence; but it would be a rare thing for an oil meeting the ACEA spec not to also be certified as meeting the US SAE/API specs.

Richard

Any oil meeting GF-6 should be a good choice for our GDI engines. As I often say, there's very little difference on the top shelf.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you've spent time on these forums you'll find out from our collective "oil enthusiasts", some who are very well-read and experienced on all things oil, you'll learn that there's actually very little difference between the top shelf synthetic oils. Here's some good oil knowledge from our own resident oil knowledge base, GeekOnTheHill:
That's for GDI engines and we have MPI engines so if it's good for GDI it's especially good for MPI?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks. Oil geekery is seldom appreciated.

Richard

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's for GDI engines and we have MPI engines so if it's good for GDI it's especially good for MPI?
The MPI engines go back to injecting the fuel upstream of the intake valves, but individually rather than centrally (in the manifold). Hence the "MP" for "multi-port." This should dramatically reduce the carbon-fouling problems and restore the effectiveness of good fuel system cleaners at removing what deposits do form.

However, it's important to remember that the GDI-specific oils also meet all previous standards, so they're still excellent oils in general. But for oil geeks who want to emphasize some particular oil quality or another, the MPI engine does free them a bit from concentrating on the GDI-specific considerations.

In other words, intake-related issues on GDI engines are so important that minimizing deposits has to be the primary consideration when choosing an oil. When you no longer have to worry about that, you can delve into the specs and focus on other lubricity factors, if you're inclined to do so.

Richard

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
820 Posts
The first link was from a Gen3 thread, which you can click to read through.
(the link is the author's name with the up-arrow before each quote)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to know what formula of Total Quartz Kia recommends for the Soul. The dealer isn't returning my email, I'll just call them and ask.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
I for one really appreciate your "geekery".
Thank you! 👍
I "second" that emotion. Plus anyone who can work the word "lubricity" into a conversation gets my vote. Thank you Richard!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I "second" that emotion. Plus anyone who can work the word "lubricity" into a conversation gets my vote. Thank you Richard!
I'll take "lubricity" for 100 Alex...

And the question is...when she gets to squealing and you get the feeling that things are about to run dry, what should be your 1st concern?

Answer: Lubricity

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I just want to know what formula of Total Quartz Kia recommends for the Soul. The dealer isn't returning my email, I'll just call them and ask.
I don't know offhand; but I'd think the 9000 Future would be the most sensible choice, especially since KIA effectively shortened the OCI, thus negating much of the benefit of the INEO.

I haven't tried it, but it does have impressive specs.

Richard

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know offhand; but I'd think the 9000 Future would be the most sensible choice, especially since KIA effectively shortened the OCI, thus negating much of the benefit of the INEO.

I haven't tried it, but it does have impressive specs.

Richard
Thank you, I called the dealer and they said any blend or full synthetic will do just buy name brand. They buy bulk Valvoline. I may go with Total Quartz still undecided.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thank you, I called the dealer and they said any blend or full synthetic will do just buy name brand. They buy bulk Valvoline. I may go with Total Quartz still undecided.
My opinion: For the pittance of difference a top-shelf oil makes in the big scheme of total cost of ownership of a car, you're better off going top-shelf. That would include the flagship oils of any of the major brands.

Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, I'm the new owner of an LX Auto. So curious that not all dealers are carrying Total Synthetic in Bulk, but then again, Total is not exactly widely known. I happen to know that our dealers in So. Florida use Total Synthetic in Bulk (don't ask me which one) because I know the distributor. I would think that the most important factor would be to change the oil regularly (whatever schedule you stick to) with a quality synthetic that meets the specs. Of course we can all choose to be as lax or as strict as we want about this. Thanks for all the awesome knowledge that you are sharing. Frank from Miami

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called the dealer and they seem to agree that name brand synthetic is all that's needed, using Total isn't necessary. He said they buy Valvoline in bulk and that's what they use. I use Castrol in the motorcycles might as well use it in the Soul also.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
When I did my own oil changes, (in my back yard) I always used Castrol GTX 5W20 and of course, a Genuine KIA Filter.
I really enjoyed doing my own oil changes.

This was my 2013 Soul 1.6. My 2020 has never been on the ramps. She only sees the dealer's lift.

My own KIA Dealer uses Havoline blend oil.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts

It means that cars are filled at the factory with that brand...not binding on dealers...or you.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
43 Posts

Where do you see that decal? Maybe it is just your dealership or State? I checked my last service (free new car purchase add-on) receipt, and it indicates "Mastertech" oil, which I cannot find online, and doesn't indicate grade.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts