Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my way home from work on freeway I noticed my car was not wanting to speed up when I stepped on the gas it wouldn't go. Now it's not going at all maybe 2mph. It's not accelerating. Also when I'm stepping on the gas it's extremely hard not to stop. I don't know if I'm explaining this well. Any suggestions

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like what happened to me - twice. Both times it was the catalytic converter. Get it checked right away. How many miles are on the car? Converters are warrantied for 8 years or 80k miles.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You have 2 symptoms that both say it is the catalytic converter. 1 is that it is bogging and won't go and 2 is that you have a hard brake pedal from no vacuum in the brake booster also caused by a restriction in the exhaust. Did you have the converter replaced at a dealership with a genuine Kia part as part of a recall?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have 2 symptoms that both say it is the catalytic converter. 1 is that it is bogging and won't go and 2 is that you have a hard brake pedal from no vacuum in the brake booster also caused by a restriction in the exhaust. Did you have the converter replaced at a dealership with a genuine Kia part as part of a recall?
It was replaced at dealership i purchased it was under warranty because they said it was throwing a code.

·
Registered
482 Posts
On your first post here a few months ago you mentioned you had codes for “misfiring 1,2 and 4”

Did you get that taken care of? What was the issue? Like what was mentioned in that thread, 3 coils pooping themselves at the same time isn’t very common. But if you had misfires that were not fixed, that could ruin your new converter pretty quickly. Does your car burn oil too? That’s not good for the converter either.

Reactions: bwdz75

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On your first post here a few months ago you mentioned you had codes for “misfiring 1,2 and 4”

Did you ever get that taken care of? What was the issue? Like what was mentioned in that thread, 3 coils pooping themselves at the same time isn’t very common. But if you had misfires that were not fixed, that could ruin your new converter pretty quickly. Does your car burn oil too? That’s not good for the converter either.
I replaced coils and sparkplugs and it was fixed. No it's not burning oil

·
Registered
482 Posts
Was the dealership that replaced the cat (the dealer you bought the car from) was it a Kia Dealer?

There’s a recall related to the cat for your model year (You have the 1.6L right?), and if it wasn’t done at a Kia dealer, that recall could still be open. Check your VIN here

You didn’t mention, did you notice your check engine light coming on, or flashing?

·
Registered
765 Posts
How to you fix a clogged exhaust?
Take the vehicle to a shop that specializes in exhaust systems. Unless you have a lift and welding gear....

Or if somebody put a banana in your exhaust...... remove the banana.

Or take it back to the dealer if you feel they messed up on an earlier repair.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Take the vehicle to a shop that specializes in exhaust systems. Unless you have a lift and welding gear....

Or if somebody put a banana in your exhaust...... remove the banana.

Or take it back to the dealer if you feel they messed up on an earlier repair.
:censored: Just don't leave the peel in there!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Your exhaust is clogged, most likely by a catalytic converter where the "honeycombs" broke loose and turned into rocks and powder (they literally look like honeycombs inside). Go back to the dealer that you had it done at and see if they can warranty it out for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your exhaust is clogged, most likely by a catalytic converter where the "honeycombs" broke loose and turned into rocks and powder (they literally look like honeycombs inside). Go back to the dealer that you had it done at and see if they can warranty it out for you.
Can't do that I moved to Wisconsin I had that done in Texas. 🤦🏼‍♀️
I am not sure if I mentioned all this happened after I put gas in yesterday....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts