Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and the Soul is already in the shop for an extended period. There was noticeably weird shifting in 1st gear, kind of like the jerkiness that everyone has noticed with the Turbo and the DCT, but a little more pronounced. Took it into the dealership and they told me that they believe the clutch is slipping. They've contacted Kia technical to see if they can replace the transmission. Not sure how I feel about them having to call Kia to see if they can replace the transmission.

tobecontinued2.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
damn, man.

you experienced this in all four driving modes?

what's the mileage?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,476 Posts
This sucks TX. Like Orange, curious about mileage on your Soul.

Did they offer you a free loaner car?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,086 Posts
That sucks! Hope they get your transmission replaced without a hugh hassel.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I wouldn't feel too bad for this lady, she WOTs from every stop, which would explain the first gear issue and has ton of miles on it already driving for Uber Eats. "First year" is a bit irrelevant when you're driving like a maniac.

:threadsux:

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey wait a sec. why would the entire tranny need to be replaced? in a standard transmission, you'd just replace the clutch if it was slipping. but with a DCT, you gotta jettison the whole thing?!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't feel too bad for this lady, she WOTs from every stop, which would explain the first gear issue and has ton of miles on it already driving for Uber Eats. "First year" is a bit irrelevant when you're driving like a maniac.

:threadsux:
Exactly how many forums are you trying to get banned from. While your alt-right comment in the other forum was in bad taste, I wasn't offended. Maybe the moderator is of Muslim descent?!?!

One thing you got right, there are 45,000 miles on it, but still under warranty. I actually had to ask for a loaner. I just hope they don't come back and say that the clutch is a wearable item not covered under warranty.

The rental they gave me is a Forte with steering assist, and it feels weird when the steering wheel fights you when you're trying to cut a curve at the apex.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey wait a sec. why would the entire tranny need to be replaced? in a standard transmission, you'd just replace the clutch if it was slipping. but with a DCT, you gotta jettison the whole thing?!
I was wondering the same thing, but that's what the service advisor stated.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was just advised that the warranty does cover the transmission, but that it is going to take a good 4-6 weeks for the transmission to arrive from Korea..... great......

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Exactly how many forums are you trying to get banned from. While your alt-right comment in the other forum was in bad taste, I wasn't offended. Maybe the moderator is of Muslim descent?!?!

One thing you got right, there are 45,000 miles on it, but still under warranty. I actually had to ask for a loaner. I just hope they don't come back and say that the clutch is a wearable item not covered under warranty.

The rental they gave me is a Forte with steering assist, and it feels weird when the steering wheel fights you when you're trying to cut a curve at the apex.
What would someone being of muslim descent have to do with a forum post? What are we talking about here?

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
DCT have issues. Like CVT. Lots of people jumped in the pool without checking for alligators.
I wonder why H/K didn't go for a more-efficient 8A like Chrysler did, long ago? I don't think ChryCo uses either DCTs or CVTs. Crazy like a fox?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What would someone being of muslim descent have to do with a forum post? What are we talking about here?
Don't even waste time on that. Some things are not worth it.

TX got banned from many forums for promoting wild conspiracy theories and if you start indulging him, you may want to take a cold shower afterwards.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't even waste time on that. Some things are not worth it.

TX got banned from many forums for promoting wild conspiracy theories and if you start indulging him, you may want to take a cold shower afterwards.

What Haim is doing is called "Projecting". He was lifetime banned from the Optima forums for posting all sorts of nonsense (Although I did like the Commander-In-Chief boarding Air Force One with TP on his shoe gif that he posted) . I was banned for engaging him, but mostly for not having an Optima for the past 3 years. If you guys had seen what he posted on that forum about Soul owners, I suspect he'd be banned from here as well.....

As for the transmission, kind of sad that it's going to take 4-6 weeks, as this is what got Kia/Hyundai in trouble when they first started selling cars. I worked with a woman that had bought a Kia Sephia and it in the shop for about 3 months because they didn't have the parts available. Looks like they're back at it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2019 Turbo.
From a stop you take foot off brake and jerk, jerk,jerk,jerk and then it smooths out when you accelerate. Peak Kia drove it and confirmed the problem.
Now its in Kias hands on what to do. Dealer talked about trans replacement. Waiting for corp to make a decision. Car is 5 months old with 22,000 on it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the same problem on my 2019 Turbo.
From a stop you take foot off brake and jerk, jerk,jerk,jerk and then it smooths out when you accelerate. Peak Kia drove it and confirmed the problem.
Now its in Kias hands on what to do. Dealer talked about trans replacement. Waiting for corp to make a decision. Car is 5 months old with 22,000 on it.

The DCT is definitely a little ragged on the Souls.

I was recently updated on my vehicle. The dealership claims that the transmission came in today and it should be fixed by this weekend. Not sure how you go from "4-6 weeks" to "In a couple of days", but oh well. I can't help wonder how durable this car is going to be in the long haul.

·
Registered
121 Posts
and the new transmission ... is it improved?

has Kia made some behind-the-scenes update/adjustments to the SX Turbo/! DCT to improve reliability and driveability? or is @TXSSSoul (and possibly others) going to be replacing the tranny again after another 45000 clicks?

·
Registered
291 Posts
and the new transmission ... is it improved?

has Kia made some behind-the-scenes update/adjustments to the SX Turbo/! DCT to improve reliability and driveability? or is @TXSSSoul (and possibly others) going to be replacing the tranny again after another 45000 clicks?
Hard to say. I look at how may years Ford has fought with DCT problems on the Powershift and still has major issues. Probably a dozen software fixes that were only temporary. FCA gave it a go on the Dart and Fiat 500, both total flops. Only complaint I have ever heard on the Kia was reported overheating in stop & go on the steep hills we have in S.F. I don't think that @txssoul has that issue in Dallas. Having the Trans show up early shows some concern from Kia. It was likely air freighted at a considerable cost to them. I would hope the replacement is trouble free. Also, from experience - the break in period is "Drive it like you stole it".

1 - 20 of 47 Posts