Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving the wife's soul around town when the need to pass quickly came about.
Stomped it for the quick downshift and it hesitated a moment then took off leaving a cloud of smoke behind it.
Now it's no secret that a car driven at low speeds or not fully warmed up will do this but it was still a bit of a brow raiser.
I've noticed around 1/2 quart oil consumption between oil changes of 7k miles.
Wondering what the general populace is experiencing from their 2.0 souls?
Running mobil 1 with o.e.m. filter in a 2012 2.0 with around 20k on the clocks for reference.
Your experiences are appreciated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have an 11 and I've never had anything like that happen. I also don't burn a noticeable amount of oil. I don't think a newer car should burn any oil but I'm certainly no mechanic.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
795 Posts
None at all on my 2013+, just under 10K on odometer

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...I've never noticed so much as a puff of smoke from this car but what I had yesterday was a smoke screen.
Will see what today brings when I hit the highway with it.
I did read somewhere that someone had this EXACT situation happen and when Kia looked the car over they deemed everything as "normal"

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Have a 2.0l 2013--no oil consumption at all.
Puff of smoke?Do you ever get the revs up on your engine?Like to 6k rpm?
Could be just cleaning out some gunk if you have not.
Have you used MOBIL 1 since the vehicle was new?I'm really not a fan of full synthetics unless
thats what has always been used.I use a syn blend in all my vehicles.Dunno,have had great luck
with some that drove well at 300k.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I agree with this as being the probable cause , I've been behind newer cars and seen this myself . You give it a good romp and it will blow out some soot .

Also, are you saying it's down a half of quart of oil when you change your oil at 7k miles ? Or half that as in 3500 miles ? Which either is really not abnormal in the scheme of things .

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back home from a thorough thrashing and I'm happy to report not a puff of smoke was in sight all day.
Just needed to blow out some cobwebs and that's pretty much what I suspected all along.
I did a few roll ons as well as some standing starts and it accelerated smoothly and cleanly every time.
It appears to use about 1/2 quart every 7k miles and I believe that is an acceptable amount.
Of course I'd like it to consume not a drop but it is what it is so I/m not going to stress it.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Have you used MOBIL 1 since the vehicle was new?I'm really not a fan of full synthetics unless
thats what has always been used.I use a syn blend in all my vehicles.Dunno,have had great luck
with some that drove well at 300k.

Though many suggested that it was safe to run full synthetic from the get go, as these motors are pretty much broken in from the factory, I did not agree.
I ran dino oil up until 5-6k then made the switch to full synthetic.
Even my selling dealer said I could switch to full synthetic at any time I choose though he felt synthetic was an overkill as oils go.
When all is said & done you really don't pay that more to for added protection and stability synthetics offer and mobil 1 seems to be the best bang for ones buck.
Rarely get the revs much above 3500k so she was pretty much due for a good flogging.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The engine must consume some oil. It is a consumable liquid when used in an engine, whereas transmission oil is not when used in a transmission/differential. Some oil must get past the rings to lubricate the rings and upper cylinder wall and piston area.

From what I've read, most manufacturers will not consider anything more than a quart of oil for every 700-1000 miles "excessive."

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If any of you around town, grocery gettin, walmarting soul drivers want to try a little experiment, post up your results here.
Find a nice straight stretch of road and put the pedal to the metal briefly and look in the rearview to see if you soul resembles a crop duster at kitty hawk?
Enquiring minds want to know and if they don't I sure as she-ite do so let us know what your soul does for you?
I'm not saying to try and break the sound barrier or any local laws just to give the old soul a brief stomp and see if yours did what mine did, you might be surprised.
Anxiously awaiting your results...

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The engine must consume some oil. It is a consumable liquid when used in an engine, whereas transmission oil is not when used in a transmission/differential. Some oil must get past the rings to lubricate the rings and upper cylinder wall and piston area.

From what I've read, most manufacturers will not consider anything more than a quart of oil for every 700-1000 miles "excessive."

As my good friend Rocky Balboa would say..."Absolutely!"

·
Registered
994 Posts
Columbo is technically correct; most cars will "burn" small amounts of oil which is considered to be "normal". Unfortunate, but true.

Oddly enough, though, I personally (and most others) haven't owned a car with fewer than 50,000 miles that "burned" any appreciable amounts of oil.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My Gertrude gets an oil change every 3k miles * with Dino Oil, Genuine Kia Filter and a shot of Prolong Anti Friction Additive, also a bottle of Chevron Techron in the gas tank.
She gets romped on, stomped on and "flogged" quite often and now at 27k miles, she used NO oil.

* Why such a short oil change interval? Oil does not wear out, but the additives put in the oil to clean and protect the engine DO. So replacing the oil is more to replace the additives than the oil itself.

In the past I've had cars that would start burning oil when they needed an oil change. One car would even rattle its valves when it needed an oil change.

7k may be ok for oil itself but the additives don't live that long.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My Gertrude gets an oil change every 3k miles * with Dino Oil, Genuine Kia Filter and a shot of Prolong Anti Friction Additive, also a bottle of Chevron Techron in the gas tank.
She gets romped on, stomped on and "flogged" quite often and now at 27k miles, she used NO oil.

* Why such a short oil change interval? Oil does not wear out, but the additives put in the oil to clean and protect the engine DO. So replacing the oil is more to replace the additives than the oil itself.

In the past I've had cars that would start burning oil when they needed an oil change. One car would even rattle its valves when it needed an oil change.

7k may be ok for oil itself but the additives don't live that long.

Cheers Mates!

Well...Oil will be oil at 7k, 17k or 107k! (Probably more tar than oil at 107k but you know what I mean)
But...If the additives dissipate and "wear out" at 3k miles then the oil is hardly worth it's weight in gold.
I won't nor do i want to, get into the ever present oil debate and which is better and for how long and from which manufacturer.
I will say that my wifes previous elantra with well over 100k, fed a diet of dino then mobil 1 ran flawlessly, idled rock steady and burned minimal amounts of oil over our 7 years of ownership.
If only i get that kind of reliability out of the soul it will be well worth the purchase price!
For a car made almost 10 years later, the soul should be superior in almost every facet yet I see many areas where it is not.
I don't let that keep me up at nite, mind you.
Just a blip on the radar of life is all.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
None on my car so far, almost 45k miles. But I agree that 1/2 quart at 7k miles is really no big deal, especially if you have a lot of highway driving. When you do a lot of city driving, condensate builds up and makes the oil look full, or fuller, than it really is, as it's some bit of condensate sitting on the top. When you go on a long, hot drive, it will all burn off, and then your oil looks low, but it's really just where it truly was.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the additives don't last 7k miles, why then would automotive manufactures take a chance and recommend that oil change interval, even for "normal" driving? I think because the additive packages are better than they used to me, and the engines are better than they used to be.

When I got divorced, I no longer worked on my ex-wife's car (Peugeot 505, not known for burning oil.) She called me a year after our divorce and said, "I came up to a stop light and the oil light came on, then went off. What could that be?" I asked her when was the last time she checked the oil. She hadn't. I asked when was the last time she had the oil changed. "The last time you did it." I said, "REALLY? How many miles have you driven?" Answer, "20,000 miles." I checked the oil and it was down 2 quarts! So that old Peugeot with over 200k miles DID burn oil! ...at the rate of a quart every 10k miles! NOT BAD!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My Gertrude just got her 9th Oil Change at 27,000 miles. She always runs better after an oil change.

For yous guys with wives that have NO CLUE about oil, oil changes, etc. Play this video for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQMKc58QuWI

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 71 Posts