Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Growing up in the motorcycle community, we always thought that K&N filters were the bomb.
Until...we realized they were not!
Lots of oily/dirty residue down the carb throats on many a motorcycle set of carbs.
Noooooo...they were not over-oiled!
Yessssss...they were properly maintained.
They simply don't work as well as folks think they do!
In theory they should, in practice...they do not.
BMC is supposedly the new "bomb" for motorcycles but I don't think they are making them for the soul.
I ran a stock Hyundai air cleaner in our 2004 Elantra for 7 years.
I periodically shook it out and took the shop-vac to it as well.
Never a hiccup, never an issue.
No residue in the air-box or any major accumulation of dirt.
I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That won't work around here, with all the sand, dust, pollen, and other airborne crap.
In ten months and 10K miles, I've taken my OEM air filter out twice, to dump the sand, bugs, tree parts, etc, out of it.

:cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
FLH doesn't realize that in order to pass more air a filter must have either more holes or larger holes in its media. The k&n has larger holes allowing anything under 5 microns to virtually fall right through to the intake.
This has been discussed and tested for years online. It's hype and snake oil and does not work. K&n is a poor air filter. It may work for track time but it allows dirt and oil into your engine much more than any other filter and costs up to 3 times as much not including oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BMC does make one for the 2020 Soul. My Harley filter is just layers of fine stainless steel mesh. I rinse it out every 10,000 miles and put it back.

-Clyde

Growing up in the motorcycle community, we always thought that K&N filters were the bomb.
Until...we realized they were not!
Lots of oily/dirty residue down the carb throats on many a motorcycle set of carbs.
Noooooo...they were not over-oiled!
Yessssss...they were properly maintained.
They simply don't work as well as folks think they do!
In theory they should, in practice...they do not.
BMC is supposedly the new "bomb" for motorcycles but I don't think they are making them for the soul.
I ran a stock Hyundai air cleaner in our 2004 Elantra for 7 years.
I periodically shook it out and took the shop-vac to it as well.
Never a hiccup, never an issue.
No residue in the air-box or any major accumulation of dirt.
I'm just sayin...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not only amazed, but somewhat angered by how long it takes for replacement parts companies to get parts into the system, for new car models.

It's now been over a year since the 2020 Kia Soul arrived in the KIA dealerships, but yet you'd think it came out only yesterday. :mad:

K&N Filters, for instance, still does not have an Engine Air Filter for the 2020 Kia Soul.

Likewise, the Sylvania/Phillips company does not have a replacement headlight bulb for the 2020 Kia Soul.

I'd also like to replace my front disk brake pads, with Wagner Ceramic Brake Pads, for increased stopping power, but alas, they don't make them for the 2020 Kia Soul. They do however make a pad that will fit the rear of the Soul, but most of us won't need those till about 2026. lol

So I'm just wondering, how many years we'll be left hanging out here in NO-Parts land, before we can buy replacement, and maybe even Upgraded Parts for our new cars?

Any ideas, or opinions?

PS: I contacted the tech dept at K&N (in southern California) asking them how long it would be before I can buy an Engine Air Filter for my 2020 Kia Soul. Their suggestion was that I loan them my car for three days, ( I'm in Florida) so they can fit a new air cleaner to it. I suggested that they just go to a Kia dealer and buy an Engine Air Cleaner and copy it. To that suggestion, I got NO response! Go figure! I guess that is outside of their budget.

FLH :cool:
What area of Florida do you live in? I am in Melbourne on the east coast and i would let them have my 2020 Soul LX for 3 days if they were to give me the new K&N.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Bob,
Well, no matter where you or I live in Florida, the K&N Tech's are in the Los Angeles, Ca. area.
I'm familiar with the Melbourne area, as I used to have a computer customer in that area. It was a four hour drive just to take a service call down here. I'm near Ocala.

Right now, I'm just removing my air cleaner every so often, and knocking the pollen, leaves and such out of it.
(I can't wash it....it's paper!)
I don't know if it really helps my car, but it makes me feel better, just to know that I'm doing "Something".
It's called, PM (Preventive Maintenance)
It seems like I've been doing PM's all my life, and this is just a continuation of it. I don't Golf, or fish, so I need to do something to keep busy! :)
Stay Healthy, my friend,

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’ve also had issues with the an out of the box K%N filter “misting” my MAF and on a prior car, and probably wouldn’t use a K&N as a result.

For those wondering, I assume they want the car for 3 days to do more than just design a drop in air filter...a SAI and/or CAI

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
They already have a CAI, but it's over $280. A bit rich for my blood!

And, the Soul already has a Cold Air Intake. All I need is the filter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With 147 HP I dont think anything short of Nitrous oxide or adding a turbo is going to make this an exciting engine....The addition of one of these however would almost certainly grenade its weak point... CVT, oops sorry, I mean IVT. This car is a putter....that handles very nice.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do you even own a 2020 Soul? You sound like a VW bug owner. Maybe you're on the wrong forum. ???
If you're not excited over the performance of the 2020 Soul, with the 2.0L engine and the IVT, then you're just doing something WRONG!
I was excited by the performance of my 2013 Soul, with the 1.6L engine and 6 speed AT. On a wheel Dyno, she pulled 111 HP and was screaming like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! My 2020 is even better. So far, I've not been able to Dyno Test it.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They can keep their CAI, , , all I want is a simple Drop In Air Cleaner. The KIA Soul already has a CAI, if you just check it out! The air intake is right under the front edge of the hood. It don't get no cooler than that.
Air taken in from the engine compartment will be considerably Hotter!

Still waiting......

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm really getting sick of all the Rock Auto ads on TV, (every few minutes) when they have almost Nothing for the 2020 Kia Soul. I looked for spark plugs and front disk brake pads, and they have NONE!
Of course, some of that is because a lot of parts manufacturers are not making replacement parts for the 2020 Soul.

I hate having to go back to my dealer for every little part that I might want, and then only getting OEM parts at OEM prices. Arggg!

Cheers mates!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts