Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not only amazed, but somewhat angered by how long it takes for replacement parts companies to get parts into the system, for new car models.

It's now been over a year since the 2020 Kia Soul arrived in the KIA dealerships, but yet you'd think it came out only yesterday. :mad:

K&N Filters, for instance, still does not have an Engine Air Filter for the 2020 Kia Soul.

Likewise, the Sylvania/Phillips company does not have a replacement headlight bulb for the 2020 Kia Soul.

I'd also like to replace my front disk brake pads, with Wagner Ceramic Brake Pads, for increased stopping power, but alas, they don't make them for the 2020 Kia Soul. They do however make a pad that will fit the rear of the Soul, but most of us won't need those till about 2026. lol

So I'm just wondering, how many years we'll be left hanging out here in NO-Parts land, before we can buy replacement, and maybe even Upgraded Parts for our new cars?

Any ideas, or opinions?

PS: I contacted the tech dept at K&N (in southern California) asking them how long it would be before I can buy an Engine Air Filter for my 2020 Kia Soul. Their suggestion was that I loan them my car for three days, ( I'm in Florida) so they can fit a new air cleaner to it. I suggested that they just go to a Kia dealer and buy an Engine Air Cleaner and copy it. To that suggestion, I got NO response! Go figure! I guess that is outside of their budget.

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,777 Posts
It was similar when Gen2 came out. With the Covid Virus mess it may slow Gen3 stuff even longer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry, having issues with the forum. In a previous month, Husky said the floor liners were weeks away for the 2020 Soul and then said they were going to be delayed and now they still do not show on their website.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm seriously tempted, to go to any KIA dealer and buy an Engine Air Cleaner and send it to the K&N Tech Dept, and tell them, "here it is, now make one like this"! They don't seem to have the money to do it.
They wanted me to give them my car for several days, so they could measure the air cleaner. Are they kidding me?
Absolutely rediculous !!!
Stay Healthy Mates!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you cross referenced the oem part number for the oem air filter to see which cars use the same filter? The link below says the soul, veloster, kona and elantra use the same filter. I know they offer a k&n for the kona and elantra.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I'm seriously tempted, to go to any KIA dealer and buy an Engine Air Cleaner and send it to the K&N Tech Dept, and tell them, "here it is, now make one like this"! They don't seem to have the money to do it.
They wanted me to give them my car for several days, so they could measure the air cleaner. Are they kidding me?
Absolutely rediculous !!!
Stay Healthy Mates!
Testing various brands:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably, if you didn't maintain it properly.
I washed and re-oiled mine every 3000 miles.
One filter worked great for seven years.
My next one will probably have to work for ten years.

:cool:
PS: Today, I took out my OEM, paper air cleaner, and knocked the bugs, etc. out of it and put it back in.
I'm SO tempted to spray it with K&N Filter oil. But, I've not done that yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why am I seeing my answer in my post above, before the member quote?
Isn't that backwards?

I should see the quote first - then my reply.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's an age old fact, that an oiled surface will attract and hold dirt, dust, pollen, etc., where a try surface will not.

Before the paper drop in filter was invented for automobile use, every car had an "Oil wash air filter".
They fell out of favor with car mechanics because they were a mess to clean out and re-oil. I've done a few myself, years ago.

I saw that proved for myself, when I worked in the Air Filtration Lab at the Caterpillar Tractor Co. research center.

So do as you all wish. But just as soon as I can get a K&N Air Cleaner for my engine, I'll have one. It's what I've used on every one of my engines since 2000. But if you're too lazy to do the maintenance required on a K&N Air Cleaner, then by all means just use a plain paper filter.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
How often do the Kia air filters need replacing?
The book says at 30,000k, but to inspect at each maintenance interval.

Since you're severe, probably sooner.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NEVER! It's a lifetime filter, if you do the maintenance on it like you're supposed to. You take it out, wash it, dry it and then spray it with the special filter oil and put it back in the car.
I always did the maintenance on my own filters, when I did an oil change on my car. (every 3000 miles)

I live 'Off Road' so it's a very dirty environment, and more filter maintenance is required.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
570 Posts
I don't know what book you're referring to, but the K&N filter is a lifetime filter. You NEVER replace it.

30,000 mile suggested cleaning intervals.
50,000 on my AEM, for what it's worth.
Keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Agree. K&N dirt-trapping efficiency is mediocre. Same with their oil filters.
Yes, and I have seen the out of the box cause MAF failures on many Nissans (Not Due to over Oiling after cleaning). I had one in my 02 SE, and there was no benefit what-so-ever, other than to possibly let more dirt in. Nissan OEM filters came with oil on them.....I was surprised when I swapped out my filter

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I don't know what book you're referring to, but the K&N filter is a lifetime filter. You NEVER replace it.

I wasn't referring to the K&N. I was referring to the Kia OEM filter. Joe asked how long they last.

The BOOK I was referring to is my Owners Manual which says to Replace at 30,000 miles (or 24 months).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts