Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Began looking around for Gen1 cabin filters and see the OEM run about $18 while there are many non-OEM for as low as $7. Has anybody tried the non-OEM filters or it is recommended to stay with the OEM?? (To clarify, I mean filters trying to imitate OEM, not filters that have a different design altogether such as Fresh Breeze)

Sonic

·
Registered
546 Posts
I get mine from Amazon for under $5, or if I want them tomorrow, from Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone for about $5.50. I have had no problems from them in 2 souls in the 4 years I have used the non kia brand. And at less than 1/3 the price you could replace them twice as often and come out ahead.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I got mine from Amazon for about 5 bucks, probably the same place as Smokey. It works fine. It is not as good quality as the OEM filter - there are less pleats and the material is thinner - but it still seems to catch all the crap in the air just fine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Anybody know why there are two different part numbers that seem to show up all over the place online, and both claim to be for Gen 1 Souls....

P8790-2K000A and 97133-2K000

I can't tell if one replaced the other or if they are actually two different filters....

·
Registered
On my second Soul - a 2020 LX w/IVT
113 Posts
No help on the part numbers (sorry), but just wanted to register another "tried non-OEM and they're fine" vote.

I think the one I used was made by Wix - maybe cost ~$8.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the list of filters from KIA, updated as of 7/21/15 and it lists only P8790-2K000A as the filter for all Gen 1 KIA Souls. So SOMETHING really strange is going on. Because almost all listings online show anything BUT that as a compatible part number. This is starting to feel like maybe KIA changed the part number along the way once Gen1 production ceased?? Not sure how else to explain why most listings show a few compatible numbers but NOT the very one KIA claims is the proper one. :mad-new:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
Paid $8.00 on Ebay, works just fine. I tried one of the Febreze filters and couldn't tell any difference.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Began looking around for Gen1 cabin filters and see the OEM run about $18 while there are many non-OEM for as low as $7. Has anybody tried the non-OEM filters or it is recommended to stay with the OEM?? (To clarify, I mean filters trying to imitate OEM, not filters that have a different design altogether such as Fresh Breeze)
Sonic
Is price your only consideration (?) or do you really want the freshest air possible inside your car?

For many years and several different cars, I've used ONLY the FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin air filter.

About every 6k miles, I take it out, dump out the bugs and debris, and put it back in. Then once a year on Gertrude's birthday, I put in a new one.
To me, with all sorts of nasal allergies, I want the best air inside my car, that I can get. It's never about price.

Recently, for Gertrude's birthday, my dealer gave me all new Wiper Blades and a new Kia Cabin Air Cleaner. I had them put in a new Fresh Breeze filter (that I supplied) and leave the Kia Filter laying on the passenger seat. If you really want to save money, I'll GIVE you that NEW Kia Filter. Eh?

Cheers Mate!
TechnoMage :cool: (out in the sand dunes of Central FL.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's been raining the past few days. But after reading this post, I'm gonna order a new cabin filter and install.

Are there any issues with taking the glove compartment off? Anything I need to know other than the screws?

Thanx.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It's been raining the past few days. But after reading this post, I'm gonna order a new cabin filter and install.

Are there any issues with taking the glove compartment off? Anything I need to know other than the screws?

Thanx.
If you have the Glove Box light, be careful NOT to rip out the wires when you pull the box out, after taking out the eight screws. Save yourself some time by NOT putting back the three screws across the bottom of the box.

That's about it. It's basically a very simple chore.

:cool:

·
Registered
140 Posts
^^^ Thank you. I just ordered from Amazon. Picked up a few other odds and ends to make sure I get the free shipping at $35. ha ha

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
^^^ Thank you. I just ordered from Amazon. Picked up a few other odds and ends to make sure I get the free shipping at $35. ha ha

Thanks again. :)
I check mine in the spring and fall when I do the oil changes. In the spring it usually just needs cleaning because all the dust and dirt have been under snow and the pollen's not an issue in the winter. In the fall it always gets replaced.

If you ordered a spare, make sure not to store it in your garage, shed, workshop, or anywhere else near oils, cleaners, or other smelly chemicals.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is price your only consideration (?) or do you really want the freshest air possible inside your car?

For many years and several different cars, I've used ONLY the FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin air filter.

About every 6k miles, I take it out, dump out the bugs and debris, and put it back in. Then once a year on Gertrude's birthday, I put in a new one.
To me, with all sorts of nasal allergies, I want the best air inside my car, that I can get. It's never about price.

Recently, for Gertrude's birthday, my dealer gave me all new Wiper Blades and a new Kia Cabin Air Cleaner. I had them put in a new Fresh Breeze filter (that I supplied) and leave the Kia Filter laying on the passenger seat. If you really want to save money, I'll GIVE you that NEW Kia Filter. Eh?

Cheers Mate!
TechnoMage :cool: (out in the sand dunes of Central FL.)
Thanks Techno that offer is very kind, however I caught your reply too late. Already bought a replacement, was an exact match to the OEM. HOWEVER, a new filter did not fix the musty smell problem, so it must be in the coil and ducts. I also checked the drain line and it seems ok. Next step I guess is one of those flush kits KIA sells. Ugh....this Soul has been a continuing pain in my arse, never had so many strange things go wrong with a car before, especially with only 5K miles on it. I've had less problems with any ONE of my other cars, each of which I kept for 15 or more years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is it crazy. Gotta be careful when purchasing used cars. Even a lease return isn't perfect. You should have seen all the dried leaves and debris that fell onto the floor. I'm gonna need to vacuum it up soon.

But I'm thankful for sites like this one. It's the accumulation of these little things which makes the car run perfect. I have a feeling that over 90% of Soul drivers haven't had their cabin filters changed ... and are running on filters which look like my old one.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
used car whoa's

I could not agree more. I just bought my 2012, only 25.5K miles on it when I bought it.

I could tell when I tried to remove the glovebox that it had never been changed. It took 3 tries to get the glovebox out, but I finally did. Mine was like yours, just black, full of leaves, bugs, sticks and other undesirable things I did not care to examine too closely.

It made a horrible mess on my clean carpet too!! I got out the air compressor and the shopVac and took care of the whole thing. Blew out the garbage not captured in the filter, which of course spread it out all over the car. Then the shopVac came out and made short work of it all.

When my filter came out, it just disintigrated. I had 3 pieces when I finally go it out.

The new one was easy to install, and the STP filter I bought looked exactly like the one that came out (minus the dirt anyway).

Catching all the things the used car dealership did not do, (this was an off lease car too) was shocking. He never had any of his recommended services, I am certain. Next one up is the 30k service and I'll be ready for it! Should be in late December or early Jan.

Yep, thankful for this site. I learned many things it would have taken a long time to learn on my own. I sure appreciate the knowledge sharing.

Thanks mates!! :)

H

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
For people like myself (and probably many others here) who channel our OCD into scrupulous vehicle maintenance, it's actually kind of sad. I mean, you can get cheap cabin air filters for less than $7.00 at NAPA. They're not top-shelf, but they're good enough and certainly better than a filthy one.

My family and friends laugh at me because (among other reasons) I'm fanatic about car maintenance. Even my record-keeping elicits laughter. Every time I so much as adjust the tire pressure or lubricate a squeaky door hinge, I make an entry in the maintenance log. (Seriously.) It doesn't matter whether the car was brand-new or a beater when I bought it. When cars come into my possession, they giggle with glee over their good fortune.

A lot of my car-maintenance OCD comes from my training as an aircraft mechanic, but some of it comes from having been raised poor. When you're raised poor, you learn to take good care of things. At least I did. So I can't help but shake my head when people ignore simple, inexpensive car maintenance tasks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts