Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was hoping to pick your brains. I bought a 2017 kia soul+ with 103k miles with a blown engine (imagine that...). I bought a wrecked 2017 kia soul+ from Copart with 80k miles for the engine donor. Now when I bought the donor I was able to start it for a few seconds. A little rattle at first as is typical with a car that's been sitting for many months without being started but then the noise went away and it idled for another few seconds before dieing. It had gotten smashed pretty good in front so I would assume it has some kind of crash codes that keep it from running. Anyhow, so for ease I just swapped the engine and transmission as a unit from the donor car into the one I'm fixing. Both engines are G4NC engines. I got everything hooked backed up and fluids filled. I go to start it and basically every light possible was on. I primed the oil, plugged in the injectors to fire it up, it cranks well but it won't turn over. So I have a crank but no start issue. I checked and have spark and fuel pressure and can even smell fuel during long cranks. I'm not sure why all the lights are on, there are no codes to be found though the check engine light is on. Do I need to have ecu reprogrammed for the new transmission? I figured this wouldn't stop it from starting and at most put it in limp mode. I'm at a loss here and could use some advice. Thanks!
Car Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Trip computer

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
439 Posts
Is it possible that the computer doesn't recognize the new engine? I keep hearing of so many issues with so many cars that seem to be due to changing this part or that part that then need a reprogramming of the ecm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Which key are you using? Try both sets fro each Soul?
I would expect everything needs to be reprogrammed these days with all the computer capability in modern cars.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Odd that you would swap the transmission instead of just replacing the engine but anyway it should work and no programming needed. Even if you put in an ECM from another car that is the same it would still start and only thing it would do is light up the check engine light with a code for a VIN mismatch but it would run. I'd have to guess that you didn't plug something in or else why would all your lights be on. Are you certain you get spark?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Couple of things you should also check: make sure both cars either have or don't have idle stop and go as those systems are not compatible. If everything is plugged in correctly and you have verified it with absolute certainty you will need to remove the cam sensors on top of the valve cover and take a look at the reluctance wheel on the cams, some of those motors used camshafts with a half moon shaped reluctance wheel and some used one with notches on it, if both the motors do not have the same style reluctance wheels you will need to swap the cams from the old motor or the ECM will not be able to read the cam position. The sensor are same but the reluctance wheels produce a different pattern for the ECM to read cam position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts