Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,232 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The way that so many of us drive our cars, like on a cross country trip, at a moments notice, an EV just wouldn't cut it.
So whether an EV ever comes to the US, is pretty much "Mox Nix".
:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,232 Posts
The way that so many of us drive our cars, like on a cross country trip, at a moments notice, an EV just wouldn't cut it.
You could always B.Y.O.P. o_O

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
That's kinda my point. Eh?

I just imagine that driving through the Rockies with an EV, could be less than satisfactory.

Portable Power, Revisited:

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
698 Posts
I just imagine that driving through the Rockies with an EV, could be less than satisfactory.

Actually it would depend on which part of the Rockies you cross. Colorado, no problem, less so in Wyoming, but they probably have fewer gas stations also. I'm actually surprised at just how many charging stations there are, but you need an app to find them since they usually aren't where the dino petrol is. There's a bunch of apps that help you find them, including this one that I randomly Googled, when zooming into a location they all come into view. I was surprised to find at least 10 within 5 miles from my home—I didn't even know they were there and available. Some of the apps even facilitate your long distance drives by planning around your vehicles range and your route and destination to show available charging stations along the way.

Personally I'm not ready financially for an EV, but the transition is already happening whether we're ready or not. Plus 2020 was the first year that every car manufacturer introduced an EV into their product lineup. Heck, one cannot even get through an established car magazine published within the last few years without realizing that EVs are here to stay.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
61 Posts
If the 2020 Soul EV has been available this time last year we would have bought one. Not so much for financial benefit as gas is cheap and our gas 2020 doesn’t use much anyway. More the way electric drive feels and the environment benefit plus high tech.
For long trips we have a big gas SUV anyway. I’d always use that for any trip over an hour as the Soul is not exactly built for long distance comfort with its short wheelbase and small wheels.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Tell that to all the Tesla owners out there.

I do have two homes across the country from each other so no EV for me, but if I left a vehicle at both places and flew between them (something we think about), then electric would be an option.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the 2020 Soul EV has been available this time last year we would have bought one. Not so much for financial benefit as gas is cheap and our gas 2020 doesn’t use much anyway. More the way electric drive feels and the environment benefit plus high tech.
For long trips we have a big gas SUV anyway. I’d always use that for any trip over an hour as the Soul is not exactly built for long distance comfort with its short wheelbase and small wheels.
Got rid of a 2019 Chevy Bolt for a2021 turbo, equally as quick, but the soul has a ton more tech. My main reason for hating the Bolt was not even adaptive cruise control!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts