Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have problem with heating in my Soul.
Fan is working good. The air is a little warm, but not heat.
The temperature of the engine/oil is circa about 90C.
The level of coolant is good.
2009r. Kia Soul 1,6 dohc cvvt

What's wrong with my Soul?
Please help me. Sry for my English.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
There is a water flow valve in the line from the radiator (engine coolant) to the inside heat exchanger somewhere. Sounds like it is not working properly. That could be the valve itself, wires from the control switch (heat setting on your dash) or the heat switch itself. Does you AC work OK? If not, it is probably the switch in the dash since they both use the same switch. Just a thought.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
maybe it needs a good coolant flush? Air-lock?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all your replies my friends. And sorry for the delay.
I have an appointment with my mechanic to exchange the thermostat on Saturday, but I'm not sure if this is it. He also. Because I think if it would be the faulty valve, the temperature of collant should be more than 90C.
I can't check AC, because the outside temperature in my country is below 0 now... :)
I think also that the switch and wires are good too. If I set cold - it is really cold, but if I set switch max to the right - air is only warm and can't heat the inside or defrost the front window.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just a wild thought..... Have you ever changed your Cabin Air Filter? That should probably be done, once a year anyway, depending on your environment and how dirty it is.
Here in FLorida, I take my Cabin Air Filter out every three months, and dump out the sand, leaves and bugs. Sometimes in just three months, it's a real mess. :(

The engine temp is absolutely normal for a Soul. A little higher than my own, but within tolerances.

Good Luck!

Happy Holidays!

:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Guys, I need your help.
I replaced the thermostat, collant and cabin filter - the problem remained. My mechanic said that he can't help me because my problem is an electrical problem.
I checked all switches. I'm sure that electrical part of heater is working very well.
But I noticed one weird think. Two alluminium tubes are going to the heater from the engine. One of them is hot, but the other one is warm. I checked in my brother's Dacia Logan - there are both hot. In my Soul when I set fan to "4" the upper tube is warm, but when I off fan (set to "0") the temperature of tube increases. IMHO this is due to unsufficient flow of the collant through heater. Do I think correctly?
Could this be caused by a faulty water pump? Please help.

Happy Holidays!
Thanks and you too! :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
There is a "temperature control actuator" up inside dash on the left side of the heater/evaporator assembly. Kiatechinfo, lists procedures to test the unit (it is electrically operated via the dash temp selector). If heater selector is ok , they say replace the control actuator. This requires removal of lower crash pad (under steering column at knee level), and the structural brace behind that, and then the duct and the actuator (on side of evap/heater assembly). I don't know if you can reach it to check connector without doing all the above steps. Good luck.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Don't know if you can access kiatech website from your location, but the US website is:
"https://www.kiatechinfo.com".
There may be a slightly different access for other countries. Hope you can find access somehow..... lots of information there that would take me hours to repost.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Guys, I need your help.
I replaced the thermostat, collant and cabin filter - the problem remained. My mechanic said that he can't help me because my problem is an electrical problem.
I checked all switches. I'm sure that electrical part of heater is working very well.
But I noticed one weird think. Two alluminium tubes are going to the heater from the engine. One of them is hot, but the other one is warm. I checked in my brother's Dacia Logan - there are both hot. In my Soul when I set fan to "4" the upper tube is warm, but when I off fan (set to "0") the temperature of tube increases. IMHO this is due to unsufficient flow of the collant through heater. Do I think correctly?
Could this be caused by a faulty water pump? Please help.

Thanks and you too! :)
Think this out. If the supply tube is hot that means that the hot water is being sent to the heat exchanger in your heater. The air that blows through the heat eachanger from the fan is transferring the heat from the water to the air to be then sent into the cabin. So the return tube SHOULD not be as hot as the supply tube but it will still be warm, not all the heat will get transferred. So that part sounds as if it is working correctly. So there are some common elements: the heat exchanger, the controls on the fan, the fan, and of course there is the flow of water through the heat exchanger. Given that you have changed all those things out, and the fan is blowing air at the proper rate and the air is still not heating up as it should, there are only two things left: The heat exchanger is clogged and the water is not flowing through it correctly OR the temp control is not working allowing for sufficient water to flow through. If it is indeed an electrical problem, it is the switch and control circuit to the heat control valve somewhere. Only hunting this down will find it. BUT if the fan is not working correctly, that is it is only blowing air at a low rate, it will not remove sufficient heat into the air to heat it up. This too is an electrical problem.

Setting the fan to 0 is going to allow for the heat to NOT be removed and the heat exchanger is going to retain the heat being sent form the engine, eventually causing it to be as hot as the engine water. There could also be a air flow block. Without being able to look at it, I am afraid that I cannot help you more, but it sounds as if it is in the cabin and not in the engine compartment (depending on where the water flow control valve is located). However, at this point my guess is that it is between the temperature control switch and the water flow control valve. If you can jumper around the switch and apply full heat to the heat exchanger with the fan running should tell you if that is the case. If you then get the heat, it is the switch, otherwise it is probably the water flow control valve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@Shaggy Wierdo Fan is working perfectly. I thought that if water pump works incorectly, the insufficient volume of hot water is passing by heater. That's why "return tube" is warm (not hot) and air is warm too (not hot like supply tube's water).
I'm pretty sure that it is not electrical problem.
How can I check my water pump or heater?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
@Shaggy Wierdo Fan is working perfectly. I thought that if water pump works incorectly, the insufficient volume of hot water is passing by heater. That's why "return tube" is warm (not hot) and air is warm too (not hot like supply tube's water).
I'm pretty sure that it is not electrical problem.
How can I check my water pump or heater?
Not sure I have a good answer for that. A sure way with the water pump is to wait for warmer weather and let the car overheat, which it will if there is a low flow. But I think it probably would overheat now also if there is a low flow. What is your outside temperature range right now? One year, I had an old Chevy that would not heat the car or clear the windshield during a snow storm. There was nothing wrong with the car, it was just overwhelmed by the low temps and volume of snow. If the flow from the water pump is sufficient, I would suppose that it would not give any indication right now. 90 C (194 F) sounds in the right ball park for the temp, I would think that if you had an ailing water pump that number would be higher.

Now as to the supply side. If your water flow is too low, the cold will invade that line and it will be warm instead of hot. If that were the case, then you can rest assured that you have a flow problem coming into the heat exchanger. I have experienced this before, engine running right, but the flow control valve was kaput. As for checking the heat exchanger, I do not know of anyway to do that other then pulling it out of the car, or at least disconnecting it so that you can probe into it so see if there is a blockage. I will scratch my head some more, see if any ideas crop up. Perhaps there may be someone else on the list that has a way of testing the heat exchanger and water pump but other than a flow meter being inserted into the line, I have no way to tell for sure. I am surprised your mechanic did not do that but perhaps he does not have a flow meter either. You can always buy a new water pump and if it does not fix the problem, return it. Same with the heat exchanger. But for my money, it is still with the heat control circuit (electrical or hydraulic).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply. The outside temperature is about -5 to 0 C. It is still not bad, but soon will be worse... :( I'm afraid that when it will be -20C, the front glass will freeze while driving (and me too :) )

I tried to overheat my Soul in a garage. It's impossible. 3k rpm for 10 min and still ~85C on the gauge.

I still wonder, why return tube is lukewarm. Can somebody check this in his soul, please? I'm pretty sure that it should be impossible to touch both of tubes (like in Dacia Logan).

BTW, how old is your antifreeze and what is your mixture?
You mean "coolant"? I exchange it yesterday with thermostat replacement. Petrygo Orlen -35C (52% Ethylene glicol)

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
We may be tripping over terms, the return side should be cooler than the supply side, that is not to say that you won't get burned by it if you touch it. And using antifreeze instead of the term coolant is just showing my age, sorry. It has not been all the cold here, but I will check on my car's return when I get it heated up next.

It seems that you have checked all the usual culprits and they are working normally, so it must be something exotic. Still scratching my head over this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts