Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have had my 2010 Soul SX, 17500km, for a few months now, first couple months no problems then one day I went to lock it with the remote and the lights didn't flash nor did the horn beep. All the doors are closed. I took it to the dealer and they have no clue. They replaced the bcm and still nothing. They are currently trying to figure it out with Kia Tech. I have had it in 3 times for this and don't want to keep going back for the same result. All the doors lock properly, the lights and horn don't do their job.

Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
My only suggestion is looking at the multi-fuse. It is located under the hood in the fuse box and is a long strip of 7 or 8 fuses. I accidentally fried mine when installing a window relay and lost those lights. When I locked/unlocked the car or tried turning on hazard lights, I got nothing. If any one of the filaments in the multi-fuse it fried, it needs to be replaced.

It's a weird new type of fuse and my dealership had no idea what it was. I had to diagnose the problem, order it, and install it myself!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had this EXACT problem with my Amanti...real quick, just to make sure - when you UNlock, do the lights flash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the lights flash when unlocking. Only when locking (doors all lock properly) the lights don't flash and the horn don't beep.

I checked the multi-fuse and its not blown.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It is the hood-latch switch. In my Amanti, the rubber bumper fell out of the underside of the hood and wasn't depressing the plunger. When I locked the car, the BCM assumed the hood was open, and wouldn't arm. The plunger assembly is shown here (on my Optima):

This photo shows how the rubber bumper on the underside of the hood and the plunger assembly are supposed to meet:

It is a hard part for parts managers to order, so I will get you a specific part number. Not sure exactly where it's located on the Soul. It is really easy to install, it just pops into place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could someone show me where the hood-latch switch is? I have looked and I can't find it. The Kia tech site shows it is near the passenger side headlight but I can't find it. Maybe I am going blind!:eek:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I will look for it the next time I have a chance to see the Soul. I am still working on the part number. It lists as "Switch , Cap" in Kia parts catalogs and lists for $1.48.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Can someone please post a pic of where the hood latch switch is. I can't find it.
I don't think US Spec Soul has latch switch [may be Canadian models have it]. I know what it looks like in other vehicles I had/have. But I was able to duplicate your exact "problem" with my Soul. US and Canadian specs may be little different but I was able to duplicate your exact problem with one of the door/hatch ajar. I remember this from past experiences in Lexus. Lexus interior is air tight and it needs extra push to close the door.

With Soul, horn+light will only occur when lock is pressed twice but only flashing occur with single press. When door was ajar, light didn't flash and only heard it lock. Only after I forced the door closed light flashed. You can probably try pushing each door to find possible problem with door switch [light switch] or its possible one of your door is not closing properly.

I completed below test with hood opened and closed and no differences found so this is an indication it doesn't have hood switch or its not part of the security system.
- Press open once, two quick flashes and unlock driver door.
- Press open twice, four flashes[with intermission so less flashing when pressed quickly] and unlock all five doors.
- Press lock once, flash with one second pause and locks all five doors.
- Press lock twice, flash with one second pause and horn "beep".

At this point make sure all five doors are closed shut tight [make sure seat belts or other stuff is not caught between the doors] and make sure your door "ajar" light on dash is not lid and try it again. If problem persists, have dealer check to see if all the door light switches are working properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting I have same exact problem! Only difference I have custom navi installed in mine..at first they didn't blame it they replace module..relay switch for trunk same prob..kia tech came down supposely and said my problem is in the navi..in the original radio is where the component which controls flash and beep is at...so I'm stuck with it...they did there part I must admit rental for 3 days replaced stuff...

·
Registered
479 Posts
I hate to awaken such an old thread, but I am having a similar issue and want to know if anyone ever figured this out

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I hate to awaken such an old thread, but I am having a similar issue and want to know if anyone ever figured this out
What exactly is the problem? I read the thread and it kind of leaves me wondering what they are talking about. When locking the doors with the fob, the lights do not flash and the horn does not beep on the first press of the button. They will if you press it a second time within a few seconds. What is not working? At least this is the way it works on mine (all of them).

·
Registered
479 Posts
I posted a thread on my issue but had no luck with answers but this sounds similar to mine and I wondered if they figured out anything. One morning my car started locking at 10 mph, fob won't unlock drivers door, alarm won't set and lock buttons inside don't work. All happened out of nowhere

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I posted a thread on my issue but had no luck with answers but this sounds similar to mine and I wondered if they figured out anything. One morning my car started locking at 10 mph, fob won't unlock drivers door, alarm won't set and lock buttons inside don't work. All happened out of nowhere
Yes, I read that thread. I take it that the dealer has not been able to find the problem? Is that the current status?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm having this issue as well on my 2011+. It just started recently but my lights will flash the first time, but the second time I press the lock button right after the first the horn won't go off but the lights will. Taken it in to Kia but of course when they try to replicate it works and I seem like a nut case in front of them lol. If anyone one finds anything that would be great :)

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I'm having this issue as well on my 2011+. It just started recently but my lights will flash the first time, but the second time I press the lock button right after the first the horn won't go off but the lights will. Taken it in to Kia but of course when they try to replicate it works and I seem like a nut case in front of them lol. If anyone one finds anything that would be great :)
I am not sure about the 2011, but on the 2012 fob the sequence of locking can be reprogrammed from a two step to a one step. Is it possible that if the lock can be reprogrammed that it inadvertently happened. Also, one other thing. If you have two fobs, does the other do the same thing? It is possible that the battery in the fob is getting weak. Don't know if that would make any difference but when my wireless mouse (on this friggin' Win 8 machine) gets weak, all kinds of strange things happen with the wireless keyboard and the screen's operation. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts