Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Nitrogen DOES work, and the theories are sound behind using it, the problem is you can't get it done everywhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the idea of what nitrogen is all about but i feel it can be a double edged sword as well.

I check my tires on my vehicle everytime i gas up. 95% of the time i don't need to cause the pressure usually stays the same but if you tell someone to use nitrogen so they won't have to check their tires ,they will in turn never check them.

call me ole fashioned but tires are the only thing that is contacting us to the road so i will make sure they have the proper tire inflation in them at all times.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Lee, the Soul is after 2007, and therefore comes standard with TPMS.

That's how you know when to check.

As for what Nitrogen does different in your tires, speaking from memory...

1. Nitrogen molecules are larger, and will not "seep" through the rubber tires under pressure, like the non Nitrogen molecules in regular compressed air will. These other molecules are smaller, and this is what can make a tire, that is otherwise fine, get lower over time. The nitrogen doesn't escape, hence why your tires never completely flatten unless there is a hole or crack.

2. Nitrogen doesn't expand or contract anywhere near as much as regular compressed air, leading to a more constant pressure in your tires, rather than having a tire that gets too high of pressure when it is hot from driving.

EDIT:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

After reading that, looks like I mostly remembered right. Another reason is the water vapor that is in compressed air, can cause a lot of issues.

Go read that article, it is actually pretty cool.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pretty sure nitrogen in tires is a standard practice in aviation for the above reasons.

What's a typical cost for having the tires filled with N?

·
Banned
587 Posts
Lee, the Soul is after 2007, and therefore comes standard with TPMS.

That's how you know when to check.

As for what Nitrogen does different in your tires, speaking from memory...

1. Nitrogen molecules are larger, and will not "seep" through the rubber tires under pressure, like the non Nitrogen molecules in regular compressed air will. These other molecules are smaller, and this is what can make a tire, that is otherwise fine, get lower over time. The nitrogen doesn't escape, hence why your tires never completely flatten unless there is a hole or crack.

2. Nitrogen doesn't expand or contract anywhere near as much as regular compressed air, leading to a more constant pressure in your tires, rather than having a tire that gets too high of pressure when it is hot from driving.

EDIT:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns...-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

After reading that, looks like I mostly remembered right. Another reason is the water vapor that is in compressed air, can cause a lot of issues.

Go read that article, it is actually pretty cool.
well, i did read the article and what i got out of it was something like - "if you get it for free, go ahead and use pure nitrogen - but, it's not worth paying for" -

like i said in another thread - the promos for nitrogen are very similar to the promos for those magic "performance chips" - both are pretty much dependent on the old saying "there's a sucker born every minute" -

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
if i remember correctly isnt the air in the machines 79 - 80 % nitrogen?
i dont think its worth spending the money on it unless those tires would last you 10 years. which they wont
I agree....if you have to top them up at any point which you will you will deplete the nitrogen anyways.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
well, i did read the article and what i got out of it was something like - "if you get it for free, go ahead and use pure nitrogen - but, it's not worth paying for" -

like i said in another thread - the promos for nitrogen are very similar to the promos for those magic "performance chips" - both are pretty much dependent on the old saying "there's a sucker born every minute" -
The performance chips don't do anything though, these do.

And yeah, paying for it is kinda silly, but if your car comes with it, you usually get it done with new tires for free, so it doesn't cost anything. It's not a "promo", it actually is science and works.

if i remember correctly isnt the air in the machines 79 - 80 % nitrogen?
i dont think its worth spending the money on it unless those tires would last you 10 years. which they wont
Yup. The air in the machines is compressed air, same composition of what we breathe. This is why, like I said, you only lose about 20% of your pressure if you never fill them from year to year.

The tires may not last that, but you save money from having a constant tire inflation, and that can for sure affect your mileage, and therefore what you pay for gas.

Have never done it on my Tib, until this last set was put on, and it was free. No issues at all with pressure this winter, unlike the usual having to refill.

·
Banned
587 Posts
The performance chips don't do anything though, these do.

And yeah, paying for it is kinda silly, but if your car comes with it, you usually get it done with new tires for free, so it doesn't cost anything. It's not a "promo", it actually is science and works.
well, it was the resource (link) that you provided that said the benefits were so minimal that it wasn't worth paying for the stuff - the link also mentioned that the gibberish about a "molecular difference" was nothing more than some vague opinion - this certainly does not equate to "science" -

and, yes, there is "promo" involved because those companies building and selling nitrogen dispensing units are expecting to see a profit - and the "free" nitrogen pumped into your tires at a tire store has to be paid for somehow - guess where those costs are hidden -

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Popular Mechanics and many others have done tests on them, and I believe molecular size is actual science, and not an opinion. I believe, if I remember correctly, that this was originally discovered/thought of because of some scientist wondering why his tires would only go SO flat, and not completely flat, on their own. He then tested the remainder air in the tire and found it to be almost purely Nitrogen. Then he looked into why this is, and here we are.

LOL

Would I pay extra for it?

Nope.

Anyways, that's the reasoning for it, and google has enough links for the science behind it, and the testing of it, to keep anyone busy for weeks.

·
Banned
587 Posts
Popular Mechanics and many others have done tests on them, and I believe molecular size is actual science, and not an opinion. I believe, if I remember correctly, that this was originally discovered/thought of because of some scientist wondering why his tires would only go SO flat, and not completely flat, on their own. He then tested the remainder air in the tire and found it to be almost purely Nitrogen. Then he looked into why this is, and here we are.

LOL

Would I pay extra for it?

Nope.

Anyways, that's the reasoning for it, and google has enough links for the science behind it, and the testing of it, to keep anyone busy for weeks.
i admit to not having done any personal research about this - i relied entirely on the link you provided that admitted nearly all the evidence was "anecdotal" - "anecdotal" is the nice way of saying it all might be b.s. - or not -

·
Registered
17 Posts
HaH, ost of the people i know that have switched over is actual people that work at tire stores that give the option out. I was told it would cost 112 bux to convert mine over which in turn i said, err. NO!

even the guy that told me that...who has converted his car over to it...said to me if it wasn't free to him he would stick with air.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have nitrogen in my tires. The dealer wanted $60 but I paid a mechanic $15 on the side. I haven't had to deal with the TPMS light coming on since I used it but I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it either. I wouldn't pay anything to put it in a car that didn't have a light come on with each temperature change. It was worth $15 to avoid having to find change and go to a gas station whenever the pressure would drop.

Here's an old, simple test...

Consumer Reports Nitrogen Air Loss Study

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
^^^
Good point, I don't even remember if I brought up the expansion thing, TPMS doesn't like compressed air much at all.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
our atmosphere is made up of a little over 78% nitrogen. it's also 21% oxygen and trace amounts of carbon dioxide and other elements/compounds.

so when you fill your tires with regular air, you're actually filling it with 78% nitrogen lol.

Filling up with nitrogen does eliminate water vapor inside the tire. That's about it.

Ohh and if your tire blows up, there's no chance of the tire catching on fire because Nitrogen is an inert gas.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hello From Florida

I have nitrogen in my tires also and when i need to top them off i just go back to the dealer for no charge also seems to give a smoother ride could be just me but i run it in all my vehicles :D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
our atmosphere is made up of a little over 78% nitrogen. it's also 21% oxygen and trace amounts of carbon dioxide and other elements/compounds.

so when you fill your tires with regular air, you're actually filling it with 78% nitrogen lol.

Filling up with nitrogen does eliminate water vapor inside the tire. That's about it.

Ohh and if your tire blows up, there's no chance of the tire catching on fire because Nitrogen is an inert gas.
Bodycount, that's like the 4th time those numbers were brought up in this thread. LOL

It does more than eliminate water vapor, as all of the benefits were discussed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts