Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Nitro or O2?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  engage 
#1 ·
At time of purchase my tires were nitrogen. I went to get toped iff a couple months ago as weather was changing and pressure was down. Took it to the dealer as wanted to keep the nitro. Service person said it would coat money and went to ask how much. Guy fills. Lady comes back and says nitro machine broken. So I asked her how the guy she just spoke to filled it then and she said oh, I guess he didn’t here me. I was mad because she didn’t listen and I suspect just told him to fill them and never intended to put nitro in. Maybe too much trouble? Anyway. Yesterday I told then if they needed to ad to tires do it with nitro. But mainly because that is what was in there to start. I really know nothing about why one uses nitro in the first place. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
this has been covered many time, if you can get nitro for free then go for it, otherwise use regular air (it's already 78% nitrogen).
Nitrogen is great for aircrafts, heavy equipment and auto racing.

#19 ·
Nitro has some advantages but they’re overstated.
If you check your pressures regularly and top off with any pump (I use a portable 12v one) you’re fine.
I have yet to see any alloy rim corrode on the inside due to water in the air used to fill. Even on 30 year old GM cars that only ever had air.

#21 ·
The Popular Mechanics article is also 78% wrong. Though the tire is less permeable to N2 than O2, it is not immune to the gas pressure law. So its pressure does not change less with temperature using nitrogen compared to air. There is no good reason to use dry nitrogen in a passenger care tire except "It's all we had".

#22 ·
The Popular Mechanics article is also 78% wrong. Though the tire is less permeable to N2 than O2, it is not immune to the gas pressure law. So its pressure does not change less with temperature using nitrogen compared to air. There is no good reason to use dry nitrogen in a passenger care tire except "It's all we had".
PV=nRT, is the ideal gas law. It doesn't apply to all gases. I didn't look up N2 vs O2, buts it's totally conceivable that its pressure changes less with temperature than O2

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.