Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love my new KIA Soul, there's one thing, so far, that is really bugging me! I do a LOT of night driving. Because of this, I've noticed something that hasn't been a concern on any of my previous cars that I've owned over the past few years.

When I come to a turn, or even a fairly sharp bend in the road, the headlights on the Soul are so strictly focused directly ahead that I cannot EASILY see what is around the turn or the bend. I mentioned this to my son tonight that the car needs some lighting that allows for this.

I did some quick research about this and came across this article about "adaptive headlights". It's something that I would dearly love to see KIA give some considerations to in order to make night driving a bit less of a problem.

How Adaptive Headlights Work - HowStuffWorks

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
be aware that the lighting is not the same on all models.

Perhaps it maybe easier and cheaper to simply upgrade the lights than to go to something as complicated as adaptive headlights.

Can't say I've found a problem with mine at night, in fact they have been one of the best lighting systems I've had on any vehicle I've owned. (my '08 Rondo EX was just as good however)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Make sure both headlights are actually working and that they are aimed correctly. I don't have the base model so different headlights, but mine are good.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
I upgraded the bulbs, stock was too yellow and didn't seem to light that well.

With the new Ultra bulbs it's much better.

Best headlights I've had in a long time were my 2007 Spectra's. Those were so good stock I didn't even upgrade the bulbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really want to convert to projection, but ... ~$1000 each is just crazy. (list price on my dealer's parts store... only "cheap" ones I've found are $250 each from some really bad english eBay lister...)

·
Registered
479 Posts
You could do an hid projector retrofit. it'll run you around 300-350 and will blow away the kia projector lights and any other lighting option. Its a pretty easy process too

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same model but haven't noticed this issue. Maybe I'll have to pay closer attention. I do drive a bit at night, and on many winding roads, so I would think I would have noticed by now.

Then again, the lighting on my previous car ('05 VW Golf) was pretty bad, so maybe I'm just appreciating the improvement over that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It may just be the bulb you are using.
I use the Sylvania XtraVision and Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. If you have the money The Silverstar Ultra bulbs are very bright and throw a wider beam. The XtraVision bulbs work fine for me and working 3rd shift I do a lot of night driving.
The cost savings of the XtraVision bulbs over the Silverstars means I can replace them every 6 months or so and never deal with a light going out and they are always bright. I just replace them 2x a year, my wifes Soul tends to burn out the passenger side bulb every 7 or 8 months anyway.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Decided to take a pic tonight to give everyone an idea of just how restricted the headlights are on this Soul:

Headlights.jpg

Looking more closely at the way the housing is configured, as well as which lights are installed, it appears that the front of the lights is covered in order to disperse the lighting and have it reflected off the inside of the housing. It appears that there "could" be some reflection that, under a different configuration, would bounce off the reflective material on the inner side of the housing that would give more peripheral exposure.

I do know that my PT Cruiser had very adequate peripheral exposure.

Additionally, there is more hood to this car than what there was with the PT, but, the lighting is the main factor here for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
yeah, looks pretty bad. You can try a better bulb but a bulb alone wont change how the reflector throws the light, so the light will still stop with a better bulb at the same spot as your current bulb. But, for the price, certainly worth a shot to see if it will brighten up those dim edges.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It looks as though the left headlight is out of alignment...old cars you could adjust, not sure if new cars. You may want to upgrade to the HID lights that the ! with Whole Shabang has...I hardly ever use my high beams and I have crappy night vision.

·
Registered
448 Posts
So weird, I have the opposite problem on my 2014+..... my high beams shine in such a wide side array that they throw very bright light almost 90 degrees to either side of me- resulting in a very distracting bright-edged light arc that bounces off the trees all the way to my left and right field of vision clear to my shoulders, as I drive in wooded areas at night. It's terribly distracting, as the wildly dancing beams off the trunks and branches are happening in a range of the side of my car that I've already passed on the road by anyway. Has the same distraction feeling of someone waving in my driver's window while I'm trying to drive at night. I've thought of starting a thread on it to see if others have the same problem.
Now I'm wondering if people were complaining and maybe KIA overcompensated when building some of the 2015s, resulting in Lewis' problem ?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
that's why your headlights have adjustments, this is suppose to have been properly set up by the dealer when they do the PDI.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that's why your headlights have adjustments, this is suppose to have been properly set up by the dealer when they do the PDI.
I'm going to see what I can do with the adjustments.

From what Yell O' Kitty describes, my PT Cruiser's lights were adjusted somewhere between what I'm dealing with now and what she's dealing with. I do know the Cruiser had much better peripheral view at night than what I'm dealing with now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got home from the dealer. The headlights can ONLY be adjusted up and down...no side-to-side adjustment at all. They raised the right headlight a bit hoping that it will give me better exposure for the right hand turns. Being that it's still light outside, there's no way to know until I do some more night driving.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
479 Posts
the vast majority of new cars only have up and down adjustments. I doubt that adjusting the height will help you see wider though. you can also look and make sure that the bulbs are in and seated properly. If they aren't, that could cause a huge sight issue.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts